Telecaster pickup recommendations pls

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I've got a very utilitarian approach to guitar owning: I have (now) a bass, a MIA LP, a MIJ superstrat and a MIM tele. My Tele is now getting some love, with proper pots and switches - and I feel as though while I've got it all apart I should get some nice pickups in there.

I'm looking to keep it relatively vintage - so unless there's a really good reason I'd like to avoid the Kotzen style Twang King + Chopper T (if only because I have a Chopper in the neck of my superstrat)

It appears as though the Fender Nocaster set is a good one, but at >£150 retail that's just way too much for me to consider, and I'd rather go with Oil City. I'd happily take any suggestion, realistically hoping to stay under £100 total.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I think you have answered your own question - go have a chat to oil city and see what they say..
  • Well, I have given them an email and will have a call a bit later - but I'm sure there's more than JUST OC  (although I have had good experiences with them). 

I'm not too fussed  super clean twang, really I'm looking to go into a crunchy marshall 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    WW,

I have an Oil City in the neck of my 1965 Tele. It utterly rocks.

Ash is passionate about them

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Which set did you go for, out of curiosity? 
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Deacci worth a chat with too. Hoping to try a set in my tele very soon - will keep you posted 
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Consider Wilde pickups. They're handmade in the US but cost hardly any more than the cheapo Chinese brands. 

The TDPRI Telecaster forum loves them. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I've got the Mojo '52 set in my thinline, they sound great to me but I don't have any experience of any of the other manufacturers so can't tell you the difference. https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/50s-telecaster-2/
    Having a quick phone call to Ash at Oil City or Mark at Mojo will no doubt get you ordering a set that meets your needs/wants/desires exactly.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I spoke to Ash @TheGuitarWeasel  who was extremely helpful, and guided me towards a '49 broadcaster pickup in the bridge and a HTA neck pickup based on my requirements. I'm very happy with my decision and will hopefully provide some updates shortly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom