Anyone able to help identify this pickup?

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
About 13 years ago, I bought a Dimarzio pickup really cheap at a second hand music shop in Filey near Scarborough thinking I might upgrade my cheapo Vintage SG. I didn't, and forgot about. Just found it in a box of stuff my parents handed me which had been in storage for about a decade.

Anyone able to give me any clues as to what it might be? Came in a "Don Lace" box but I think that's just the box the shop owner had spare.

Stamped text on the back says "Dimarzio Pickups Made in USA"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    A resistance meter reading would help.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Super Distortion maybe?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    ESchap said:
    A resistance meter reading would help.
    Cool, can do - will check tonight.
  • I was gonna post a similar thread.. I have one in black that I just pulled out of a Charvel model 4.. again no evident model number stamp on the underside. I'll check the resistance of mine too...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• The Dimarzio website has year of introduction on each pickup page, so between a resistance reading and cross referencing dates you should be able to find out.

But my guess is also Super Distortion. Common pickup and commonly in that colour scheme

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Looks like some sort of humbucker to me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've got a couple of old di marzios knocking about somewhere too. I ought to give them a whirl at some point..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16730
    The Dimarzio website has year of introduction on each pickup page, so between a resistance reading and cross referencing dates you should be able to find out.

But my guess is also Super Distortion. Common pickup and commonly in that colour scheme

And always has those pole pieces.

Plus most guitar shops will only ever stock the popular ones like Air Norton, Tone Zone and Super Distortion.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72441
    Back in the days this was most likely made, there were only about three models anyway - PAF Pro, Super Distortion and X2N… and it's not a PAF Pro or an X2N.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jack_ said:
    Plus most guitar shops will only ever stock the popular ones like Air Norton, Tone Zone and Super Distortion.
    It's 2nd hand, which probably opens it out a little more. Google image search definitely seems to be supporting the Super Distortion theory, of course I'll measure the resistance to see if that's in the right ballpark.

I guess my next question would be, does anyone have any experience with those? Any sound references?
    Old Super Distortions are fantastic pickups, noticeably different to the more modern ones I think. The first and still one of the best aftermarket 'hot' pickups - they're not as high-output as the name implies either, although they are still quite a loud pickup.

@TheGuitarWeasel will have more info on why the old ones are different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cirrus said:
    I guess my next question would be, does anyone have any experience with those? Any sound references?

I think a lot of Iron Maiden has super distortion on it - Murray and Smith are both still listed as artists and I'm sure they came up a lot while researching this pickup (I went for a bright green Evo in the end, as you do).

I also think The Offspring used them, definitely Dexter Holland.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Back in the days this was most likely made, there were only about three models anyway - PAF Pro, Super Distortion and X2N… and it's not a PAF Pro or an X2N.

It could also be a Super 2, though that's less likely than the Super Distortion.
    Always thought the biggest problem with the Super Distortion was its name.
    ICBM said:

It could also be a Super 2, though that's less likely than the Super Distortion.
    *googles it*

That probably helps answer my next question, then - so with the Super Distortion there's no dedicated neck+bridge versions, the Super 2 is the neck version of the Super Distortion?
    ICBM said:
    Dude... sorry to point it out but 13 years ago was 2004  ;)  Dimarzio's range was pretty big by then. Okay, if it was second hand in 2004, but there is no suggestion its much older

Square feet disappeared in  1980 - so its a Dimarzio from sometime between 1980 and 2004

I agree its mostly likely an SD, but just to give an idea of the number of hex poled DiMarzios available "about 13 years ago"

Breed -  1997
    Dual sound -  1974
    Evo -  1993
    Evo 2 - 2004
    Steve Morse - 1983
    Steves special - 1995
    SD - 1972
    SD2 - 1977
    SD3 - 1994

WezV said:

Dude... sorry to point it out but 13 years ago was 2004  ;)  Dimarzio's range was pretty big by then. Okay, if it was second hand in 2004, but there is no suggestion its much older

Square feet disappeared in  1980 - so its a Dimarzio from sometime between 1980 and 2004
    Sure - but it has slot screws in the bottom not Philips, and 2-conductor cable not 4-conductor. I don't know the exact changeover date for either of these and there's nothing I can find online, but I would say it puts it much closer to 1980 than to 2004.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The 2 conductor wiring does tell you it's not a dual sound.  Although I always find it surprising they even have that one in the range given all SD's are 4 conductor these days, but I would put that change down as much more recent... not sure when but I had new 2-conductor SD's in the 90's although potentially old stock

good spot on the screws though, that should be a dateable feature change.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Didn't all the other dimarzio's have the model number stamped on them? The super distortion being the exception?
    My late 80's Paf Pros (pink, obviously) definitely have the DP151 stamps
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.