Midi makes me want to kill aarrggh

What's Hot
FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
edited January 2017 in FX
I am trying to build a board with a disaster area dpc-5 gen 3 integrating chase bliss, an Eventide H9 and a boss did 500.

The manuals have been written by people who are obviously better at numbers than words and none of this stuff wants to work with the other stuff.

I think this could be the most pointless thing I have ever attempted in my entire existence.

if you are ever contemplating doing something like this I suggest it would be a better use of your time to spend three weeks smoking crack and playing candy crush.

frustrated much? Never!
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Ahhh yes, MIDIHell. I know it well. I have a mate who is shit hot at this so I 'invite him over for dinner...'

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I'm about to set up my board containing Warped Vinyl, H9, Timeline, Bigsky, DD500 and Midi Input Looper switchers with a DMC-6...pass the crack pipe!
  • I need a mate like that!

Its not even that I'm usually a technophobe but this stuff is just arcane.

You follow the steps in the manual and it still doesn't fucking work <stomps feet>

who do do they make these products for ferchrisake 

• As a slightly more serious point, does anyone know of a good tutorial or reading for this stuff? I thought I understood it but I guess my failure to get all this expensive junk working has just proven otherwise.

im having a proper tantrum over here haha

• I'm about to set up my board containing Warped Vinyl, H9, Timeline, Bigsky, DD500 and Midi Input Looper switchers with a DMC-6...pass the crack pipe!
    Oh god and I thought my life sucked :-)

I'm off to Camden to get pissed and buy an acoustic guitar I'll pick up some junk and a pipe for the both of us whilst im there!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Hhhhmmm MIDI, always managed to avoid it luckily. It scares me, it's digital black magic whereby it's all done in the background with no visual representation to show you exactly what's going on. 
  • Love a bit of midi me.
    why all gig worthy amps don't come with it as standard is beyond me, the ability to change fx and amp channel with one stomp......heaven.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• As a slightly more serious point, does anyone know of a good tutorial or reading for this stuff? I thought I understood it but I guess my failure to get all this expensive junk working has just proven otherwise.

im having a proper tantrum over here haha
    What exactly are you trying to achieve?

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yeah midi is OK as long as you understand channels, program and cc. The system is normally assign 1 channel per pedal and then set a cc message with a value). 

Most midi problems are normally because it is extremely poor implemented.
  • @professorben  am trying do what I thought would be simple and just have the pedals respond to tap tempo and change presets with program changes from the dpc5.

the chase bliss stuff won't respond at all, the h9 does tap tempo and bypass but won't change presets and I haven't even gotten around to the d500 yet.

ive done my best to follow the DAA manual but it's v poorly written and as the dpc gen 3 is fairly ne there are no videos on YouTube... 
  • Have you got the H9 last in the chain? There are some issues with eventide products not sending midi through correctly. 
  • @professorben  am trying do what I thought would be simple and just have the pedals respond to tap tempo and change presets with program changes from the dpc5.

the chase bliss stuff won't respond at all, the h9 does tap tempo and bypass but won't change presets and I haven't even gotten around to the d500 yet.

ive done my best to follow the DAA manual but it's v poorly written and as the dpc gen 3 is fairly ne there are no videos on YouTube... 
    Sounds like you are sending CC messages to the h9 instead of program change messages. Which would do stuff like bypass and tap tempo but not change presets.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Midi has always frightened me, like digital synths.
  • Ok quick look at DA manual, you need to get them to talk to each other, it's tough not owning or seeing any of these pedals, but the mahal looks pretty well laid out, telling you exactly how to get them to talk to each other, it's just frustrating, but have a cuppa, get a biscuit, pop your fave album on, and methodically work through each stage until you get it.
  • Just be patient, you'll get it. Either that or bring it all to me and I'll do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @professorben  have tried following the steps exactly as per manual with the chase bliss stuff and it will not connect :-(

Im going to try DAA support and if no luck someone's getting a bargain in the classifieds as this thing has wasted two days of my time already.

think companies need to realise that real world customers have to be able to use this stuff and a good manual is part of that.

there are several parts of the da manual where the unit simply does not respond or react in the way the manual says it should.

not having a go at you btw, thanks for looking at the manuals and offering your thoughts on what might be goi gin with this
  • @professorben  have tried following the steps exactly as per manual with the chase bliss stuff and it will not connect :-(

Im going to try DAA support and if no luck someone's getting a bargain in the classifieds as this thing has wasted two days of my time already.

think companies need to realise that real world customers have to be able to use this stuff and a good manual is part of that.

there are several parts of the da manual where the unit simply does not respond or react in the way the manual says it should.

not having a go at you btw, thanks for looking at the manuals and offering your thoughts on what might be goi gin with this
    @professorben  have tried following the steps exactly as per manual with the chase bliss stuff and it will not connect :-(

No worries, at least your manual was written in English to begin with lol.
    have you tried the forum? 
    Id look on either TGP, Eventide or similar I'm sure they can help, it's how I found out how to use midi on my Glab switcher.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Admittedly I've had a few problems setting my DPC-8EZ up for the MIDI side of things but DA support is really good and they have always helped me out in the end. However, MIDI is old technology really and sometimes there are glitches :( Some MIDI problems I've had just hasn't made any sense but altering cables routes seem to answer my recent query. I'd still thoroughly recommend the DA units especially the new DPC-5 that's just been launched. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Regarding Chase bliss.. have you got a modified empress midi box are using a converter cable? Chase bliss and empress are wired differently so you need the right leads.

I had problems with my eventide pitch factor.. it didn't send through midi data at all. Was a pita.
  • @Teetonetal I do have the chase midi box but was trying with the daa chase bliss cable on the dpc gen 3 from their multi jack.

ive had the cba stuff working from midi on my Mac, but nothing seems to be playing properly with the daa box.

Perhaps next step for me is to hook the dpc up to a midi sniffer and see what it's sending out.