Ground loop isolator

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone in the manchester area has something like this which I can try on my amp before buying one. I'm using a Mesa Boogie mark v and a Line 6 Helix and there's a massive hum on the overdrive channels and apparently using something like this gets rid of it. I don't want to pay out for one and find it doesn't work so wondered if anyone may have one I can try out? Might be a long shot but worth a try!
Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are you able to solder / unsolder? As a tryout you can create a ground isolating cable by simple removing the ground connection at one end of a normal cable (if you keep it ground-lift, make sure you mark it clearly to avoid confusion in future).

Orchid Electronics do a very good quality isolating transformer box for £20.
  • Cheers, I might try the orchid electronics one, gotta be worth £20! All the others are £60+ !!
  • I have a couple of the Orchid ones - very good audio quality, very good build quality.

To order from them you have to send an email - they replied quickly enough with me.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    I have a couple of the Orchid ones - very good audio quality, very good build quality.

To order from them you have to send an email - they replied quickly enough with me.
    Steambacus,could 1 of these be used when using 2 Amps with an ABY box?,or would 2 be needed?
    Thanks. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited January 2017
    @GrahamG  ;;; Just the one should be enough - you need at least one path to ground for the guitar screening. A normal ABY box would have just one output transformer isolated. *

I'm using one of mine in a stereo DI'd home recording setup to avoid ground loops.
    I use another in a basic stereo two amp setup with my travelling rig, see this photo ...

* Note: I'm no electronics expert but I'm pretty sure this is correct.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Thanks,i'll look into getting one.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I've got a BYOC amp selector and stereo router FS, should you be interested. It has switchable transformers on both outputs. Details here: http://buildyourownclone.com/collections/loopers-routers/products/ampselector . The kit is built and ready to use.

Cost me £65.60 three months ago.

R.
  • I've just ordered one of the orchid Electronics ones now so hopefully that'll do the trick !
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone in the manchester area has something like this which I can try on my amp before buying one. I'm using a Mesa Boogie mark v and a Line 6 Helix and there's a massive hum on the overdrive channels and apparently using something like this gets rid of it. I don't want to pay out for one and find it doesn't work so wondered if anyone may have one I can try out? Might be a long shot but worth a try!
    Cheers!
    Does the 'hum' stay on the overdrive? by it's very nature cranking up the drive level will increase all the attendent circuit noise. Earth hum tends to be a constant wether clean or dirty.
  • ESBlonde said:
    Cheers!
    Does the 'hum' stay on the overdrive? by it's very nature cranking up the drive level will increase all the attendent circuit noise. Earth hum tends to be a constant wether clean or dirty.
    It's only on the drive channels but it's to the point where it's as loud as the guitar playing!