Slippy Plectrum

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
i swapped to a different plectrum brand about a year ago and went for planet waves celluloid in heavy so 1.1mm iirc.

Having used them successfully in all that time, I was was quite happy until last nights gig when the buggers were moving around in my grip quite a lot. Not that I am particularly advanced in my technique either. Granted we play a bit of funky stuff but this that thing was moving all the bloody time. 

Anyone got any tips for gripping these things (other than swapping pleccys again) so can I buy a resin or tacky stuff to put on my fingers?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Try drumstick wax.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    Ta. Will google shortly....
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic said:
    Try drumstick wax.

or gaffa tape..........

Chris Broderick uses/sells a pick grip thing, which grips your pick and goes on your thumb, bit like a thumb pick.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    You can rough the surface of the picks up a bit with some wet and dry/sandpaper. Or use Jazz III's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited January 2017
    You could use Mr. Zog's surfers "Sex Wax". I'm not sure if it would be any good but would be a much cooler item to have knocking around your live show. ;)  Comes in different stickiness too and is only around £2-2.50 a tub which would last you a pretty long time if you're just sticking your thumb and index finger. 

• Drill some holes in the middle of them for grip.  If you are going to do this make sure the pick is wet as celluloid is quite flammable and may catch fire with the heat of the drill bit.  
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    simonk said:
    You can rough the surface of the picks up a bit with some wet and dry/sandpaper. Or use Jazz III's.
    I was going to suggest roughing it up with some sandpaper. I think the jazz III is good advice too. Personally I find the Standard red ones a bit small but I tried a multipack and the larger Jazz III XL was a revelation. Well worth checking out. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Wash your hands to remove any excess oils, wash the picks likewise. Since this problem has just started, have you changed your personal grooming routine? it could just be something you got on your hands and passed to the picks.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    just about the best bit of advice i have had in three years or more here was when i asked just this question and was pointed in the direction of self-adhesive skateboard grip tape (google it). A tiny square on each side works a treat

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Gorilla Snot - no really, Google it.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    Gorilla snot or Sex wax. Makes an interesting search history!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Drill some holes in the middle of them for grip.  If you are going to do this make sure the pick is wet as celluloid is quite flammable and may catch fire with the heat of the drill bit.  
    You don't need to drill...just punch a hole in the middle with a hole punch...simples! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    A lot of picks have a raised logo etc on them which act as grip. Works a treat.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Came here expecting video of new band that played too many notes per bar.

Went away disappointed..
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    OR ......use a V pick Snake model .......once you get used to it after a week you will never go back and YES you can play funk with them perfectly well just takes some getting used to ......you will never drop one 
  • I used to have this problem all the time with Timber Tones picks. I found that - counter-intuitively - the secret is to relax your grip on them. No matter how slippery they are, that always seems to do the trick for me.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've got a few Wegen Picks - I don't know what he makes them out of but even when I'm sweating like a (insert joke metaphor here) they stick right where they should do all the time.

Pricey but worth a look...
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 247
    edited February 2017
    Dunlop make ones with a gripped surface on them (think they call them Max Grip). Having said that, I am the freak that dropped those more than any others! I am now using Tortex ones. They work for me...
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    Dunlop Jazz III - the grippiest pick I have every used. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Poke some small holes in them with a soldering iron with a pointed tip - better than drilling because the hole will have a raised ridge around it since no material has been removed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein