Rockabilly for someone with a grasp of the instrument?

What's Hot
Hi chaps,

I'm interested in getting into some rockabilly, but  finding it very hard to find genre-specific lessons (for example, if you search on youtube  for 'country guitar' then there are about seven hundred videos explaining how to hold a c chord, or that G major and E minor are related (whodathunk!?) 

I do appreciate there is a need for this level of instruction, but I was wondering if there was somewhere where we hit the ground running? i.e. "Rockabilly Songs are typically in a minor key, with lots of chord stabs and trills around the m/M6, etc. etc." 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited January 2017
    Check out the Rock, Billy & Boogie course on Trufire, by Walter Broes, has some really tasty stuff, well worth the money.

There's also a couple of Rockabilly courses by Jason Loughlin on there as well which are pretty useful.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Transcribe the first couple of Stray Cats albums- it is all there.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    As octatonic says , Stray Cats/ Setzer style was my go to also look for some scotty more style lessons, plenty on youtube to get you going! 
  • SimonC said:
    Check out the Rock, Billy & Boogie course on Trufire, by Walter Broes, has some really tasty stuff, well worth the money.

There's also a couple of Rockabilly courses by Jason Loughlin on there as well which are pretty useful.
    never tried Trufire, generally is it worth it?
  • Have a look at anyonecanplayguitar on YouTube - great teacher and very tasty songs including rockabilly  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited January 2017
    I don't go for the full yearly membership, just pick and choose the courses I want, usually from one of their regular sales when you can pick them up really cheap.
    I find them really good, though - loads of content.
    The Walter Broes course is excellent, and I can recommend the Jason Loughlin Travis picking stuff also.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    There are also good rockabilly instructional videos from Paul Pigat and Darrel Higham.