Solder Recommendations (amp question)

So I'm about to build another amp kit and I was wondering what solder recommendations people have and why?

Thanks!

Ross
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6136
    tFB Trader
    So I'm about to build another amp kit and I was wondering what solder recommendations people have and why?

Thanks!

Ross
    If its for you, use lead based solder. It flows better, melts easier and gives a shinier joint at lower temperatures. If its for selling commercially use a none lead based one. I like Kester silver alloy solder.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Use 60/40 tin lead solder. It is the easiest to work with. It is also considered the best for electronics work. 

It has a wider temperature range, ie. it will go from molten to solid in a few seconds once the joint has been made, whereas 63/37 tin/lead solder solidifies quicker, meaning you have to be really really quick with the soldering iron. 

If you prefer to go lead-free, then use the lead free with added silver, not the standard lead free you get from the DIY shop.
  • Thanks for the pointers chaps - it's just for me - so I guess I'll go have a look at lead based solder then :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Leaded or silver, there's not much in it really. Don't try using plain lead-free with no silver, it's shit (actually technically, almost pure tin :) ) and is responsible for the bad press lead-free solder has got.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Leaded or silver, there's not much in it really. Don't try using plain lead-free with no silver, it's shit (actually technically, almost pure tin :) ) and is responsible for the bad press lead-free solder has got.
    Thanks for the guidance I'll avoid the plain lead free then - I think I'll go with the 60/40 lead solder :)
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited February 2017
    Got the 60/40 leaded stuff - it's much better that the stuff that was in my trunk of junk which was tin based lead free and as @ICBM ;; said was shite

Thanks very much for the pointers chaps!