Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amplifying modelling units

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Did my photo vanish? Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 pedal board guitar amp head ( basically 170 watt amp with just three band eq and volume knobs). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Friedman asm12.    First amp I've run a modeller into (currently fractal ax8 and an amplifire) that didn't sound like a compromise or get lost in the mix live.    I've tried running into power amps, fx returns, active pa cabs and it's all ok but you need to tweak your patches at gig volume and preferably in context with the band playing.  
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Did my photo vanish? Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 pedal board guitar amp head ( basically 170 watt amp with just three band eq and volume knobs). 
    If you go back into a post to tweak it in some way, annoyingly links like this 'vanish' and you have to re-do.  Similarly, with the board emoticons.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Did my photo vanish? Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 pedal board guitar amp head ( basically 170 watt amp with just three band eq and volume knobs). 
    If you go back into a post to tweak it in some way, annoyingly links like this 'vanish' and you have to re-do.  Similarly, with the board emoticons.  
    I don't think I even went back into tweak it. Oh well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited February 2017
    I don't own one, but the 3 options are: FRFR Speaker (Floor Wedge, PA, etc...), SS Power Amp (Matrix, ISP), or a Valve Power Amp (Fryette Power Station, Mesa, Marshall).

The consensus is that the FRFR Speakers are the most practical, but can sound sterile and you should really use a Valve Power stage without Cab Emulation to get the right sound. 

SS Power Amps are somewhere in between, supposedly worse than Valve.
    Don't know where the consensus came from.  I'm running my Helix FRFR through a Yamaha dxr10 and direct to the PA and it doesn't sound sterile at all.  Different approaches suit different people
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    I think it depends a bit how much you've convinced yourself that valves are essential to good guitar sounds.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sporky said:
    I think it depends a bit how much you've convinced yourself that valves are essential to good guitar sounds.
    Don't know, I was pretty convinced, used valve amps for years and I'm a total convert
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I haven't found a solid state solution that gives me 'the feelings'.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I use the Helix via xlr to front of house and then split off before the cab emulations to a stereo valve power amp and a couple of 1x12s for on stage
    that way I get the best of both worlds
  • Direct go desk for foh,  Fryette powerstation into 2x12 for monitoring.

Never liked frfr for monitoring,  just doesn't inspire the playing.

Used to use a matrix, which was the bet solution pre power station,  but the Fryette is just better...  And I still use power amp sims as the Fryette is designed to work that way
  • I can't find any of these power amps people are mentioning for sale anywhere in the UK... :/
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited February 2017
    Matrix amplification sell direct, or via g66.eu

The fryette is available from peach or guitatguitar at least.

• I can't find any of these power amps people are mentioning for sale anywhere in the UK... :/
    The Rocktron I use is discontinued. 
    The Marshall and Mesa 20/20's are also out of production. 
    Matrix sell direct. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    I know someone selling a Marshall 20/20 if anyone's interested.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Sorry if I missed anyone suggesting this and I'm 'duplicating', but if you have an amp with an FX loop (preferably serial), you can plug your MFX straight into the FX return to use the amps power amp section only, and not be coloured by its pre-amp section. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBM said:
    I know someone selling a Marshall 20/20 if anyone's interested.
    Pm'd 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.