Do guitarists still view buying a solid state amp as something best avoided ?

What's Hot

Comments

• the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    the_twin said:
    I've ordered a Session BluesBaby to slot in where my Blues Junior used to live before it caught fire. Hopefully this will be a good move.

And how did it work out?  Quite a few have been buying them for the very same reason!
    It arrived. I plugged it all in and there was a loud buzzing. After a bit of to and fro of emails back it went. It arrived back in a rather soggy box, but luckily it survived and all was now well.  Now generally pleased with how it is sounding. The tonal options are certainly far wider than a Blues Junior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I'm really liking a quilter pro block. Works great with pedals  and sounds great  tho sometimes think an eq pedal is required
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Interesting that this thread has come back...my rig is now 100% solid state right up to the power section; I've got a solid state AMT F1 preamp on my board with a bunch of pedals in front of it. Run into the power amp of my Jet City JCA22H, it sounds mind-bogglingly good...in fact, not only have I not lost anything by going down this road, I think I've gained quite a bit because it sounds even better than before when I was using the amp's preamp.

I'm still a bit squicky about taking the final step and using a solid state power amp. I really, really want to...but I can't bring myself to dump the cash on such things as an experiment. Particularly since a solid state power section which can replicate that wondrous "boom" I get from my current rig will likely cost significantly more than another 20W Jet City amp.
    My Velocity 120 will be going spare if I get a Valve jobby. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I avoid valve and go for low watt SS / modelling amps every time.  I'm only a bedroom warrior so have no need for expensive and loud valve amps. 
    You have no idea just how much logic is in your reply

When I was a regular gigger in a hard rock band my amp for the shows was my mk1 Peavey 5150 head through a 4x12 and what a sound it produced, I kept it in the bedroom and the wife and kids despised it , the fact I could only play it below 1 was the final annoyance.
    QFT - this is where a lot of us are at, really.

I've been recommended small valve amps in shops and at normal home volumes they just don't sound as good as a decent SS/digital amp like the Boss Katana or many others.

Now if you play big gigs where it gets hot and you can drive the heck out of them.. well good on you, or if you live in the middle of nowhere and have a garage or basement, but those of us in semi-detatched houses with non-guitar playing neighbours arent going to get anything out of valve amps, even little 1 watters.

Boss Katana all the way :)
    I dunno, if I was gigging I would definitely go for solid state. Probably Katana or an old Peavey. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    For me one of the all time killer guitar tone monsters was BB King. What did he use?
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    fftc said:
    For me one of the all time killer guitar tone monsters was BB King. What did he use?
    Bear in mind his tone wouldnt have sounded as good in a bedroom with neighbours on the other side .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    fftc said:
    Bear in mind his tone wouldnt have sounded as good in a bedroom with neighbours on the other side .
    "Woke up this morning, neighbours banging on my door, said woke up this morning, won't stand my playing anymore..."

etc... ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581

"I'm still a bit squicky about taking the final step and using a solid state power amp. I really, really want to...but I can't bring myself to dump the cash on such things as an experiment. Particularly since a solid state power section which can replicate that wondrous "boom" I get from my current rig will likely cost significantly more than another 20W Jet City amp."

Read my last reply above... now you can understand your own nervous behaviour!  You won't find a suitable power amp with current drive is my prediction.  Plug you rig into a BluesBaby 'AUX IN' and those worries will completely disappear!  Promise!  It really is the missing link!

The bottom end will be more 'boomy' just as you'd like; and the treble nice a sparkly/chimey.  Plug in a Tele set to the middle PU selection and you're in rhythm heaven.  Just like that guitar on the Direct Line advert (I love that tone.)

Where do you live... maybe I should pop along with one for a blast using your rig to drive it?????

I'm game, but I'm near Peterborough - a long way from Basingstoke ;) The only problem I see with the BB amps is that they're combos, and I only use amp heads (my Matrix NL212 cab is exactly the sound I want from a speaker).
    Want to try it through my EICH T1000 bass amp? Power Amp section is 1000w - 2x500w amps in one box. All the bass stuff is preamp - the poweramp is effectively FRFR - I've run Helix into it and then on to a 2x10 with tweeter and guitar sounds immense........
    That's actually pretty tempting - I was thinking that a great alternative to a big-ass power amp would be one of those mini bass heads at around the 450W mark. Portability is definitely something that I'm keen on ;)
    <space for hire>
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

"I'm still a bit squicky about taking the final step and using a solid state power amp. I really, really want to...but I can't bring myself to dump the cash on such things as an experiment. Particularly since a solid state power section which can replicate that wondrous "boom" I get from my current rig will likely cost significantly more than another 20W Jet City amp."

Read my last reply above... now you can understand your own nervous behaviour!  You won't find a suitable power amp with current drive is my prediction.  Plug you rig into a BluesBaby 'AUX IN' and those worries will completely disappear!  Promise!  It really is the missing link!

The bottom end will be more 'boomy' just as you'd like; and the treble nice a sparkly/chimey.  Plug in a Tele set to the middle PU selection and you're in rhythm heaven.  Just like that guitar on the Direct Line advert (I love that tone.)

Where do you live... maybe I should pop along with one for a blast using your rig to drive it?????

I'm game, but I'm near Peterborough - a long way from Basingstoke ;) The only problem I see with the BB amps is that they're combos, and I only use amp heads (my Matrix NL212 cab is exactly the sound I want from a speaker).
    Want to try it through my EICH T1000 bass amp? Power Amp section is 1000w - 2x500w amps in one box. All the bass stuff is preamp - the poweramp is effectively FRFR - I've run Helix into it and then on to a 2x10 with tweeter and guitar sounds immense........
    That's actually pretty tempting - I was thinking that a great alternative to a big-ass power amp would be one of those mini bass heads at around the 450W mark. Portability is definitely something that I'm keen on ;)
    Well you are just down the road, so let me know..
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    fftc said:
    "Woke up this morning, neighbours banging on my door, said woke up this morning, won't stand my playing anymore..."
    He shook his fist, said my playing was a farce
    Growled and said he'd shove the amp up my arse
    etc... ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    @Bridgehouse  @digitalscream ;
    RoadTrip!!!!!!!

I will drive for Tea and Biscuits. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    RoadTrip!!!!!!!

Custard Cream or Ginger Nuts?
  • @Bridgehouse  @digitalscream ;
    RoadTrip!!!!!!!

Hobnob or gtfo. 
    RoadTrip!!!!!!!

Hobnob or gtfo. 
    Chocolate or plain? Dark or milk?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    You can't deny that Ty Tabor's Lab Series tone is one of the greatest ever SS tones recorded.  
  • SessionmanSessionman Frets: 73
    edited May 2017

I'm game, but I'm near Peterborough - a long way from Basingstoke The only problem I see with the BB amps is that they're combos, and I only use amp heads (my Matrix NL212 cab is exactly the sound I want from a speaker).

Head or Combo makes no difference, for trial purposes.  Anyway, the BB can be used to power your speaker cabinet!  No problems as far as I can see. 

No one is trying to sell you anything... so no fears there either!  The only problem is... what do you say when you hear it really does work?    I know some that really can't accept that it does.

Those lightweight 'class D' 450W bass amps don't have 'constant current' speaker drive, so won't sound anything like a valve guitar/bass amp or BB.

"Just because it's never been done before, is the very reason to make it happen" - Me!

• SessionmanSessionman Frets: 73
    the_twin said:
    the_twin said:
    I've ordered a Session BluesBaby to slot in where my Blues Junior used to live before it caught fire. Hopefully this will be a good move.

And how did it work out?  Quite a few have been buying them for the very same reason!
    It arrived. I plugged it all in and there was a loud buzzing. After a bit of to and fro of emails back it went. It arrived back in a rather soggy box, but luckily it survived and all was now well.  Now generally pleased with how it is sounding. The tonal options are certainly far wider than a Blues Junior.

Oh dear... it was not despatched with a buzzing!  Don't think there would be much point in doing that deliberately.  Likewise, the soggy box was NOT soggy when it left the workshop!  That would have been caused by the carriers.  But to be fair, you probably thought that too anyway!  ;)

Reading between the lines, it seems you don't really want to give it too much credit?  Bet you secretly love it!  ;)

"Just because it's never been done before, is the very reason to make it happen" - Me!

• I think the humble peavey bandit also has some physics going on in the power section. 

The dirt was a bit 80s (although if you engaged the thrash switch and kept the gain low you could get a cool imitation driven fender tone) but the cleans never sounded anything but brilliant to my ears, at any volume. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    the_twin said:
    the_twin said:

Oh dear... it was not despatched with a buzzing!  Don't think there would be much point in doing that deliberately.  Likewise, the soggy box was NOT soggy when it left the workshop!  That would have been caused by the carriers.  But to be fair, you probably thought that too anyway! 

Reading between the lines, it seems you don't really want to give it too much credit?  Bet you secretly love it! 

Yes, the vagaries of parcel delivery companies. To be fair the chap that delivered it did draw my attention to the damp box it was in.

If it keeps on working, I will be a happy man. The Blues Junior was in regular need of replacement valves or repairs to fried components. I'm still fiddling with the various permutations of switches and tone controls on the amp and drive pedal settings. 
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Used a Session throughout my gigging career. The only tube amp I had blew up on an important gig. At home: all valve.