Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• miserneil said:
    For comparison, here's a Matchless DC30:

But I think Carr still takes the Rats Nest Title...

whoops - nearly had a little accident there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Actually maybe I'll put my money where my mouth is. When I'm a little more time and cash rich I'll make my version of what I think is going on inside a J20. Pine cab, tweed covered, 6L6, might even stretch to heyboer transformers. Probably have to save up for an Alnico Blue though!

I'll do a build diary with associated costs, then I'll let people try it out and see if I've got anywhere near. Just for my own curiosity. If the J20 is miles superior then I'll concede that there really is some builders magic in there. :-)

@4114Effects  how much would such an item cost a fella willing to pre-order such a thing ?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    sticker said:
    Actually maybe I'll put my money where my mouth is. When I'm a little more time and cash rich I'll make my version of what I think is going on inside a J20. Pine cab, tweed covered, 6L6, might even stretch to heyboer transformers. Probably have to save up for an Alnico Blue though!

I'll do a build diary with associated costs, then I'll let people try it out and see if I've got anywhere near. Just for my own curiosity. If the J20 is miles superior then I'll concede that there really is some builders magic in there. :-)

@4114Effects  how much would such an item cost a fella willing to pre-order such a thing ?
    I'll drop you a PM today :-) 
  • There's no magic but there is a brand which will make it worthwhile financially for lazy J. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2579
    tFB Trader
    Got sent this clip at the start of this week, three clips all played through the same extension cab, one is a kit amp with 6V6's, one is a kit amp with 6L6's and one is a J20

https://soundcloud.com/user-96749354/modulus-tweed-deluxe-kit

There is some magic or maybe accident and the Celestion blue does help allot, each builder does do things a little different, branding is key though, and it helps to be in the right place at the right time with the right people.

Good on Jesse, better him doing well and offering a good product at a sustainable price, rather than being another boutique crash and burn company.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3864
    Which is which @Modulus_Amps? Is it in the order you mention above? 
    tFB Trader
    @Lebarque said:
    Which is which @Modulus_Amps? Is it in the order you mention above? 
    Take a guess if you want, no not in the order I said ... that was deliberate
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3864
    What a tease, @Modulus_Amps! Well, I've already been panned for my taste in tone once on this thread, so I've got nothing to lose!

The first two clips sound bolder and more bassy to me, so I'm guessing they are 6L6. My favourite is the second (middle) clip due to its clarity and top end detail. Whether that's the Lazy J or not, who knows?!
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    @Lebarque , Middle is my favourite too, sent you a PM with the actual order

That extra crispness could just be pot taper/volume
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    @Modulus_Amps The soundcloud clip seems to be down?
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    edited February 2017
    Not sure if an embed will work:

edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Try use the search function , "modulus tweed deluxe kit" should come up first

didn't work for me just there, then it started working again, maybe just try again?
    https://soundcloud.com/user-96749354/modulus-tweed-deluxe-kit

I can upload the original audio to mediafire if it still does not work

• ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Easy, 6V6, Lazy J, 6L6...  =) :p
  • I've been through enough "recommended by  TGP or TFB" gear to know that hype really is just hype. Very few things actually live up to expectation and very few things offer something genuinely exceptional. That's not to say that hyped products are bad, just that most are simply decent products, not exceptional ones.

I can think of only 2 things I've bought or tried that IMO justify the hype. 1 is the moogerfooger range of pedals, which do specific things really, really well (namely sound control) another is the Line 6 Helix - which has revolutionized my home playing.

I've never tried a Lazy J, but I'm always struck by the abundant praise coupled with the amount that pass through the classifieds. Which. given that manufacturing output is probably relative small, means that either the sound of the amp isn't as good as people say - or there is something about the model that makes it impracticable to use, so gets moved on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never tried a Lazy J, but I'm always struck by the abundant praise coupled with the amount that pass through the classifieds. Which. given that manufacturing output is probably relative small, means that either the sound of the amp isn't as good as people say - or there is something about the model that makes it impracticable to use, so gets moved on?
    That's my take too - very few in existence, seemingly universally loved - yet many sold....

I suppose the fact that they sell for a very high percentage of their new price on the second-hand market makes them a relatively safe punt - but judging by the classifieds here (and this is my only measure) - I suspect a higher percentage of these get moved on than many other amps....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I've been through enough "recommended by  TGP or TFB" gear to know that hype really is just hype. Very few things actually live up to expectation and very few things offer something genuinely exceptional. That's not to say that hyped products are bad, just that most are simply decent products, not exceptional ones.

I can think of only 2 things I've bought or tried that IMO justify the hype. 1 is the moogerfooger range of pedals, which do specific things really, really well (namely sound control) another is the Line 6 Helix - which has revolutionized my home playing.

I've never tried a Lazy J, but I'm always struck by the abundant praise coupled with the amount that pass through the classifieds. Which. given that manufacturing output is probably relative small, means that either the sound of the amp isn't as good as people say - or there is something about the model that makes it impracticable to use, so gets moved on?

I think it maybe like any expensive product discussed on forums.

Owner's don't want to talk down their large investment as it may harm the selling price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • In fairness, many people probably just find the tweed tone doesn't work for them. Good resale means it's not high risk to try one, you can live the tweed dream for a while then move it on if you fancy something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    In fairness, many people probably just find the tweed tone doesn't work for them. Good resale means it's not high risk to try one, you can live the tweed dream for a while then move it on if you fancy something different.
    Yeah, spot on. I think whilst the tweed amp is great, it's not the most versatile. So people buy one, love the tone but find the amp a bit limited for live use, unless they're in a band that needs that particular sound.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited February 2017
    In fairness, many people probably just find the tweed tone doesn't work for them. Good resale means it's not high risk to try one, you can live the tweed dream for a while then move it on if you fancy something different.
    Yeah, spot on. I think whilst the tweed amp is great, it's not the most versatile. So people buy one, love the tone but find the amp a bit limited for live use, unless they're in a band that needs that particular sound.
    Thanks for these posts, I've been thinking hard about going for a J20 recently, but underneath I know that tweed tone with limited headroom is not one I've ever really got along with, even though I loved it when I tried one out.

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    That was exactly my experience.  Bought one, absolutely loved it. Great to play at home but playing in two bands covering a variety of material it just wasn't versatile enough. 

If if I ever have the cash and space to have two 'proper' amps I'd definitely get another.