Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• garfy said:
    New set of PAF's courtesy of Montys Guitars...my LP into my J20 is now amazing! 
    Ditto :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Does anyone else find the LJ's better with HB or P90s or is this just me?
    Yes I agree totally with this. I think especially if you are a Strat player who spends a lot of time on the neck pickup. With the latter and at gigging volume I found I did get a small amount of bass flubbery. Nothing like as much as my old cornell romany plus, mind you.

But as @miserneil says, this is such an intensely personal thing.

One man's muddy flub is another man's warm vintage loveliness. 
  • smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 148
    edited February 2017
    Gassage said:

I'm the complete opposite for sure... much prefer it with single coils!... I pretty much play my Tele through it 90% of the time.
    I also use it with my es125 sometimes and that has a gorgeous sounding P90 that works great with the lazy j too. (Don't forget that P90's are single coils too!)
    Not really into Strats but when I have plugged one in, it sounded pretty great!
    My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3863
    Gassage said:
    Yes I agree totally with this. I think especially if you are a Strat player who spends a lot of time on the neck pickup. With the latter and at gigging volume I found I did get a small amount of bass flubbery. Nothing like as much as my old cornell romany plus, mind you.

But as @miserneil says, this is such an intensely personal thing.

One man's muddy flub is another man's warm vintage loveliness. 

Hmmm, surely a neck humbucker is going to be more flubbery than a strat neck though?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This strat tone sounds pretty damn good to me, albeit with a Lazy J clone:

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited February 2017
    A bit off topic, but I tried a J20 on a couple of occasions some time ago. Sounded great at the time, but to you guys who know this amp, am I right in saying you can't really get blackface type sounds out of it, even with its 6L6s? Sorry, might seem naive but I don't know how else to put it:) 

Edit.....no worries, found the answers in an old thread.

• garfy said:
    Ditto!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I prefer my Lazy J with my LP.  
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    garfy said:
    Ditto!
    Which @chrisv & Huw Price recently atated that the Monty's PAF sounded closest to a vintage 50's P90....so there ya go... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited February 2017
    My monty's pafs sound amazing through the j20, but it is that one oh so creamy sound though! Very very juicy but not jangly. Therefore if it's not for overdrive lead sounds, I prefer a good tele for rhythm stuff, to get a cleaner and tighter chord response. But overdriven, p90 or humbuckers all the way! And although montys pafs approach p90's according to him, I think the ideal combo would be lightly wound p90's into a fender type body wood to even out the j20's mids just a bit. 
  • Lebarque said:
    This strat tone sounds pretty damn good to me, albeit with a Lazy J clone:

And here's the problem with people expressing views on gear - I hated the tone on that (I appreciate it's not a 'real' Lazy J).

The trick is to find something that 'works' for you - be that a boutique amp, or something more mainstream. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Heathen ;0)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    ^ Heathen ;0)
    Lol. Seriously - I thought that sounded awful. Not just poor - I mean really, really bad....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Argh, these threads don't help my GAS one bit. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisv said:
    LOL I know what you mean. I have a j20 and I want to buy another one now ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    chrisv said:
    Ditto!!!!
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    garfy said:
    chrisv said:
    Ditto!!!!
    I've never had one, hadn't considered buying one. Until now.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Lebarque said:
    ^ Heathen ;0)
    Lol. Seriously - I thought that sounded awful. Not just poor - I mean really, really bad....

Agree, that doesn't sound good, ore proof that there's more to building a 5E3 type amp than chucking some bits together
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    edited February 2017
    The new price for a Victoria 20112 is £2300, no VAC, no reverb, no trem, no Blue, and not as powerful/loud as a Lazy J20. You don't tend to see threads on here about the Vicky hype, what a ripoff they are, so much money for such a simple circuit etc. Yep they're from the States but even so. 

Ditto the Carr Rambler which is also £2300, but they're a larger scale business which probably helps them to keep prices down a bit. 

Jus sayin...
    Have you looked inside a Carr amp? Proper point to point wiring (unless things have changed) that's a lot of work!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjko63qeb79r0hb/DSC01962.JPG?raw=1
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    wellsyboy said:
    The new price for a Victoria 20112 is £2300, no VAC, no reverb, no trem, no Blue, and not as powerful/loud as a Lazy J20. You don't tend to see threads on here about the Vicky hype, what a ripoff they are, so much money for such a simple circuit etc. Yep they're from the States but even so. 

Ditto the Carr Rambler which is also £2300, but they're a larger scale business which probably helps them to keep prices down a bit. 

Jus sayin...
    Have you looked inside a Carr amp? Proper point to point wiring (unless things have changed) that's a lot of work!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjko63qeb79r0hb/DSC01962.JPG?raw=1
    My word. Not sure if I like that or not. Admire the skill in doing PTP, but that looks like a nightmare to repair. Also, that's the most hot-melt glue I've seen in one place at once ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom