Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Aynsley Lister

What's Hot
ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
Watching him now.
Must be a crowd of fifty.
The boy can play....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• He is good. There's a couple of vids of him playing Probett bursts into a Princeton; sounds absolutely amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Of the newer British 'blues players' I think he's the best. Always seems to have great tone too - I'm sure his gear is very nice but there's a definite 'it's in the fingers' quality to what he does.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 563
    edited February 2017
    Saw him do something for Guitarist Mag or poss GT, blues lesson on walking the bass line and throwing in chords/licks....years ago this was and I knew he was a good'un straight away.

Think he used a 335
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    He's so far swapped guitars a fair amount. All sounded great though.
  • I remember going to see Joe Bonamassa at our local theatre quite s few years ago, when he was first coming up.  I must admit it was pretty enjoyable.

A few weeks after that I saw Aynsley Lister at an even smaller club and he totally blew the JoBo gig out the water. A very underrated musician imo.
  • Aynsley was my son's first gig when he was about 13. He was fantastic and when he heard my lad was in the audience he picked him out in between songs and had a chat with him. He was dating a very cute young thing at the time (probably still is) and we were chatting to her during the interval and that impressed my son just as much :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Huge Aynsley Lister fan. I've seen him several times doing his solo gig at very small, intimate venues, and it is just a blast. He has complete control of his instrument: technique, tone, volume; plus he is really relaxed with a crowd only a few feet away from him and very personable when interacting with them. His work ethic is phenomenal, and if he's appearing anywhere near you  I urge you to go see him: great night out, and you're supporting a very talented, hard-working musician.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    I saw him I don't know how many years ago supporting Jan Akkerman. I thought he was great (apart from him being young and so talented, which I hated!).

The fact that he's not a household name says more about the state of music in this country and its X-Factorisation than almost anything else.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Awesome guitarist! I posted a thread on a song of his a couple of months ago. His latest album is brilliant. I've always been a big blues fan and he is my favourite player these days.
  • Love his live rendition of Purple Rain, shivers up my back every time I watch it on youtube. Must try to see him sometime.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Aynsley is great; seen him a couple of times and have several of his albums, the latest being my favourite. A really tasteful and mature player with excellent control over his tone, and for me one of the very best of what I would call the younger blues influenced players out there.

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited February 2017
    I saw him (for the umpteeth time) at The 100 Club just last week. I think he's a superb player - one of my favourites. Not under-rated, but certainly under-appreciated. He's a really lovely bloke too - very approachable, absolutely genuine and completely happy to help with any questions you might have.

I've not been to one yet, but his guitar clinic weekends are supposed to be top notch too.

P.S. If you don't have any of his albums, start with Equilibrium, then get the latest one, Eyes Wide Open ...and then just get the rest in one bulk purchase!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Only recently discovered him from the most recent album. Really like 'Stay' and 'The Other Part of Me'

Then one day the Mrs pipes up with 'he sounds like Gary Barlow' and shattered my world. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seen him a few times, last one was a few years ago in trio format, thoroughly enjoyed it each time.  Really enjoyed the songs and the tone he gets from each guitar (through an old battered Marshall 2x12) and he's got some great chops.  He was happy to have a chat after the gig too.

My mate (a drummer) was very impressed by the sounds the young lass was getting from a very minimal kit.  He also ended up jamming with AL at one of those drum workshop, week away type things.  Said he was a decent bloke.

• I saw him years ago when he was still playing Cornfords (MK50 a the time iirc) - amazing sound from all of his guitars. I've not kept up with his stuff really (fires up Spotify).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I saw him years ago when he was still playing Cornfords (MK50 a the time iirc) - amazing sound from all of his guitars. I've not kept up with his stuff really (fires up Spotify).

That's actually how I cottoned-on to him in the first place.  He did some amp demo soundfiles for the old Cornford website.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    I'm a fan of the man and his music.    He's as dedicated as he is talented.   
    I've been fortunate to work with him on a couple of guitars.  It's always a joy to hear them put to such great use.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianP said:
    I'm a fan of the man and his music.    He's as dedicated as he is talented.   
    I've been fortunate to work with him on a couple of guitars.  It's always a joy to hear them put to such great use.
    So what are his favoured guitars these days, what size strings etc ?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    Watching him now.
    Must be a crowd of fifty.
    The boy can play....
    such a pity that so few so such talent - I have a customer at Bristol Guitar Tech and he is there soon for a clinic with various students - that would be a great place to be a fly on the wall
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    He runs a tuition weekend that apparently has a faithful following. 
    Red ones are better.