Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How's this for a Strat tone - maybe the best you'll hear ?

What's Hot

Comments

• I honestly think the sound of a Strat neck pickup (clean or driven) it one of the greatest single achievements of the human race.

It's right up there with; democracy, equality and Kelly Brook's decolletage...  
    Lenny by SRV springs to mind
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I was wandering how long it would take SRV to get a mention.
    One of the true masters of Strattery.
  • Sassafras said:
    I was wandering how long it would take SRV to get a mention.
    One of the true masters of Strattery.
    On this we can agree, Texas Flood is an all time fave....

I admit to playing Lenny far too much in guitar shops too...my bad
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Gives me a reason to break out this:

One of my top five recorded solos of all time and proof that High Gain doesn't have to mean low definition, plus the choice of frequencies is perfect within that mix... and isn't that more important than the sound on its own?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited February 2017
    impmann said:

One of my top five recorded solos of all time and proof that High Gain doesn't have to mean low definition, plus the choice of frequencies is perfect within that mix... and isn't that more important than the sound on its own?

I watch this video weekly - guitar still has the sticker on the scratch plate lol.

He is #1 in my book
    One guy I'm often surprised gets little praise for his tone is Chris Rea - That tone on Road to Hell when he is pushing it is awesome
    I heard that on the radio last night and I was really surprised by how good it is... I know that sounds odd, but its beautifully produced, beautifully played and its just a great song.

Good call.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    One guy I'm often surprised gets little praise for his tone is Chris Rea - That tone on Road to Hell when he is pushing it is awesome
    I heard that on the radio last night and I was really surprised by how good it is... I know that sounds odd, but its beautifully produced, beautifully played and its just a great song.

Good call.
    again add to that the tone on the solo on Stainsby Girls - builds it up to a great crescendo - dare say other tracks from him that are similar - Maybe seen more as a singer/song writer as against a great guitar player by many - seriously overlooked as a guitar player

around 1.47 and in particular around 2.10

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Enjoyed that a lot. Not the best strat tone but very enjoyable. 
  • impmann said:

Exactly. 

Reminds me of the old story about Chet Atkins- he'd just finished recording a song when someone in the studio remarked how good his guitar sounded. Chet put the guitar down on a stand and asked "how does it sound now?"

IMO tone is only as good as the playing that goes with it. Unspectacular or just flat out bad tones can be surprisingly palatable when whoever's playing is tearing shit up. Likewise, give a shit player a Dumble and a Private Stock PRS and the best you can hope for is that he might sound marginally less shit. 

Someone will be along in a minute to say that in their opinion Dumbles and Private Stock PRS guitars always sound shit, and there's the problem with any of this- one man's trash is another's treasure and beauty is in the ear of the be-hearer and all that, innit?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I can hear a lot of 'Strange Beautiful Music' era Satch in that there playing.  Decent stuff.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • I much prefer the Guthrie Govan clip. And I confess, it's the first time I've knowingly heard him. Reminds me of a blusier Freedman/Becker sound from their Cacophony era - which is a compliment. Other than his expression, which looks like he's surprised by his own playing, I'm going to have to investigate further. Recommendations welcome. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    I much prefer the Guthrie Govan clip. And I confess, it's the first time I've knowingly heard him. Reminds me of a blusier Freedman/Becker sound from their Cacophony era - which is a compliment. Other than his expression, which looks like he's surprised by his own playing, I'm going to have to investigate further. Recommendations welcome. 
    That performance is from Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. album, which is utterly incredible imho. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited February 2017
    sorry crossed wires - ignore  ;)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Everyone knows Cradle Rock on Irish Tour is the best strat tone anyway. Either that or the Voodoo Chile slight return intro. Raw as fook.
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    edited February 2017
    TTBZ said:
    Everyone knows Cradle Rock on Irish Tour is the best strat tone anyway. Either that or the Voodoo Chile slight return intro. Raw as fook.

Good choices - but Irish Tour also contains a STUNNING Tattoo'd Lady, the solo of that is what knocked me for six when I was a young un (and A Million Miles Away, the intro and how he cranks the volume for the lead when the band kicks in... and the extended stuff in Walk on Hot Coals). I SO wish I could hear that album "for the first time" again - I was 17 and my jaw just hit the floor... I'd seen him live a week or two earlier, but he was "metal-Rory" by then - fabulous, but it didn't set me up for what was on Irish Tour 74 when I bought it.

And Jimi - Stone Free, wowsers. And the sound on the full Voodoo Chile jam on Electric Ladyland, that stunned me when I first heard it.

What really turned me on to strats was Ritchie Blackmore on Made In Japan. Highway Star, that particular performance, gosh...

Time to put my new Les Paul down and get some strat CDs out!!

========

I have to admit the guy in the OP doesn't move me very far. For me, it's his rhythm section that makes him so good on that jam. As a guitarist, you can only be as good as the guys/gals backing you, and those guys are pretty darn fine. His tone, though cute, is not my fave.

I was WELL IMPRESSED with the clip of this Guthrie Govan chap - I have to confess that I've never knowingly heard him, either. The tone he's using doesn't really grab me as a tone, but he makes it talk, so it's fine by me... Lovely stuff.

(But I did fall asleep watching the vid of David Gilmour playing Comfortably Numb at the RAH... EDIT - actually, that might have been in another thread... oops!)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    No ones yet mentioned one of the most famous and respected Strat players ever...the late, great Mr Rory Gallagher. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    No ones yet mentioned one of the most famous and respected Strat players ever...the late, great Mr Rory Gallagher. 
    Eh?

TTBZ said:
    Everyone knows Cradle Rock on Irish Tour is the best strat tone anyway. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2017
    Posts must have crossed..ignore that.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    edited February 2017
    Really like the Rabea clip. Great sounds, inspired playing.
    Yes, there is a fair amount of jerking off BUT this is an improvised jam - TONS of great stuff in there that could be used in actual songs, effectively and soulfully

• Really like the Rabea clip. Great sounds, inspired playing.
    Yes, there is a fair amount of jerking off BUT this is an improvised jam - TONS of great stuff in there that could be used in actual songs, effectively and soulfully
    Most definitely, I fear the detractors didn't listen more than 5 mins.... ;)

But that's cool, there's some great song mentions in this thread  :)