Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Noise gate's - what's my options and what's the best?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Always had great results with an NS-2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30913
    timmysoft said:
    Gassage said:
    I fundamentally believe that if you need a noise gate something is not right in your rig.
    That's why so many pros use them, all their rigs are wrong. Check out Born Of Osiris if you want to hear some super tight gating.

im an ns2 user, in the past I've actually used one in front and one in the loop for ultimate silence. I don't tend to use them now I'm playing with less gain, but for modern metal they are an essential.
    Do they work as an effect then?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My preference is the MXR Smartgate for normal day to day use. works perfectly for removing single coil hum to noise from pedals.

For high-gain Pantera-esque staccato riffage where immediate silence is needed the Boss NS-2 is perfect.

I'd happily have either on my board. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Gassage said:
    timmysoft said:
    Gassage said:
    I fundamentally believe that if you need a noise gate something is not right in your rig.
    That's why so many pros use them, all their rigs are wrong. Check out Born Of Osiris if you want to hear some super tight gating.

im an ns2 user, in the past I've actually used one in front and one in the loop for ultimate silence. I don't tend to use them now I'm playing with less gain, but for modern metal they are an essential.
    Do they work as an effect then?
    They can be used as an effect, the hard gated sound is very popular amongst heavier bands, it makes the chugs really stand out, plus most of these guys are using boosted 5150 style amps, theres a lot of noise generated during that process.

Gated AF
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I had an NS2, now use a Decimator. The Decimator is way easier to dial in, and is less finicky, IMO.

Not sure why we have to have the "noise gates aren't valid" discussion every time someone asks about them. If you don't need/use them, fine. I don't use compressors and I would never have any need for them, doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    I like the MXR Smart Gate. I keep it on top of the amp but still going into the front (Sonic Stomp in the loop)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Bidley said:
    I had an NS2, now use a Decimator. The Decimator is way easier to dial in, and is less finicky, IMO.

Not sure why we have to have the "noise gates aren't valid" discussion every time someone asks about them. If you don't need/use them, fine. I don't use compressors and I would never have any need for them, doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.
    compressors shouldn't exist mate, apart from the one i use for pumping up my tyres.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    timmysoft said:
    Bidley said:

compressors shouldn't exist mate, apart from the one i use for pumping up my tyres.
    Tell that to studio engineers - arguably one of the most used studio effects. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • The best noise gate I've yet found is on my Eleven Rack, and I would possibly use it just for that if I ever tired of the fx. 

Its as many have said 'horses for courses' I can't imagine any worthwhile metal high gain tone being bearable without a gate.

@Jonathanthomas83 be wary of advice on these matters, as people's uses of a noise gate vary considerably, I believe most on this forum that use 'em fall into two categories,

1) high gain guys (me) looking to silence the fat fryer between songs and get a brutally tight rhythm chug and use it almost as an effect, 
    2) the gain stacking strat dudes that want to put a TS into a Klon to goose their Muff before it hits the front end of their cooking Princeton and are just trying to reduce 50cycle hum.

Try and work out which you are and then you stand a better chance of figuring out which would suit you better. 

Great advice, thank you. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Im definitely in both camps, I'm afraid. Will wire my board up and will see where things stand. My Piod is fairly quiet, so maybe I just need isolated power on the Muff and watch my cables. 

Thanks again!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    At least with the muff you have control. If it's just noise in between songs that's doing your head in, just turn it off.

Single coils, high volume and a muff is a recipe for noise and unwanted feedback, all things considered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is where multi fx can really make your life better, on my Eleven Rack I can change the gate settings for each patch, off for clean, tight for rhythm, subtle for leads. 

I struggled to find a good compromise with a single pedal. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Decimator
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • This is where multi fx can really make your life better, on my Eleven Rack I can change the gate settings for each patch, off for clean, tight for rhythm, subtle for leads. 

Sounds good! I've just got myself a looper, so may be able to replicate that.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I think the TC Sentry is excellent. I prefer it to the Decimator, although it doesn't look anywhere near as cool.

Sounds good! I've just got myself a looper, so may be able to replicate that.
    Hmmm but do you really wanna tie up several loops with as boring a pedal as a gate?!

I sometimes wish I liked shoegazer ambient indie crap, then I could play with4 delays,  reverbs and rainbow machines and just play the same 3 notes all night.  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure why there's a debate,  pick up an NS-2 off the bay for like 40 quid or so, then stick it back on the bay if it's useless to you, worth scratching the itch at least.
  • nah certain styles of metal rely on you having dead silence between your chord chugs, horses for courses
    That's exactly what I use it for. It also tightens up palm muting. I have mine on full, with no decay at all. Crap if you want to do solos though.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Sassafras said:
    Although not intended as such and I keep banging on about this but the VHT Valvulator is the most effective noise clamp I've ever used and as a bonus it sweetens and 'embiggens' your sound.
    Does it make your tone any more cromulent, though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best noise gate I've used is the ZNR one in the Zoom effects units - both the MS70CDR and G3 have it. I'll often have an MS70CDR patch running on my board that's just the ZNR .