Big Box Deluxe Memory Man & Memory Man XO

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
I managed to snatch one of the Big Boxes from Ebay recently. it's in excellent condition, a few scratches to the paint work but I can live with that.
I believe it's a 2008/09 model, so one of the later ones before it was discontinued in May 2009. I had the chance to compare with my XO last night.
It's bloody stunning! a really nice musical delay and ridiculously addictive, this sounds a bit daft but it took a bit of time to get used to the layout of controls, but I found I bonded with it really quickly, I prefer the bigger knobs over the smaller ones on the XO.
I'm probably going to get slated for saying this but it seems to have that little bit extra about it, an edginess to the sound.
I'm a massive fan of Built To Spill and Doug Martsch I feel I can get fairly close to the delay sounds he makes with his real echoplex, so I'm bloody happy. I've had a few analog delays but most have left me feeling at bit meh! This includes a few Carbon Copies, Belle Epoch, Boss DM2 Clones.
I believe this is probably the one, I don't think I'll be flipping this one or the XO anytime soon.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice!

I have an XO and a 1100-TT and wouldn't part with either of them, they each have their own sound. Would like to check out a big box one day...

Guess it just depends if you get a good one as much as anything. Sounds like you did!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Biggest bargain I ever got was a big box DMM in mint condition on eBay for £80. It's the best delay I've ever had, k just wish it had tap tempo.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congrats on getting a Big Box, glad you love them both!! They are incredible delays, to be fair!! Enjoy :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I owned 3 delays when I tried one to see what the fuss was about. I bought it 2 minutes later. Incredible delays and you can work around the lack of tap tempo by adjusting the delay time with your foot. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    Biggest bargain I ever got was a big box DMM in mint condition on eBay for £80. It's the best delay I've ever had, k just wish it had tap tempo.
    Wow! That was a bargain... Did you keep it? I don't think I'd ever find a use tap tempo
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Yeah I've still got it now. I considered selling it r when they were going for £350-£400 on ebay, but I would only have spent the money on shit and I wouldn't have the DMM anymore.
  • DefaultM said:
    Yeah I've still got it now. I considered selling it r when they were going for £350-£400 on ebay, but I would only have spent the money on shit and I wouldn't have the DMM anymore.
    Yep! Don't do it, keep hold of it, It's one of the best pedals I've ever owned... 
  • I managed to snatch one of the Big Boxes from Ebay recently. it's in excellent condition, a few scratches to the paint work but I can live with that.
    I believe it's a 2008/09 model, so one of the later ones before it was discontinued in May 2009. I had the chance to compare with my XO last night.
    It's bloody stunning! a really nice musical delay and ridiculously addictive, this sounds a bit daft but it took a bit of time to get used to the layout of controls, but I found I bonded with it really quickly, I prefer the bigger knobs over the smaller ones on the XO.
    I'm probably going to get slated for saying this but it seems to have that little bit extra about it, an edginess to the sound.
    I'm a massive fan of Built To Spill and Doug Martsch I feel I can get fairly close to the delay sounds he makes with his real echoplex, so I'm bloody happy. I've had a few analog delays but most have left me feeling at bit meh! This includes a few Carbon Copies, Belle Epoch, Boss DM2 Clones.
    I believe this is probably the one, I don't think I'll be flipping this one or the XO anytime soon.

Just a great great pedal. That and a Rat are total win. 

• Have a wisdom... If I can get my rat back to its original working state... I'm good
  • Rat fixed!
  • Sonic heaven has now been reached :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sonic heaven has now been reached

Simple resistor fix done! Looking forward to it!

• This thread is making me miss my old big box. It was probably 90's or something. Replaced it with a Tonal Recall (which i didnt like anywhere near as much) for the size and power practicality on my pedalboard. Own neither of those pedals now.

I have an 80tape In Limbo III incoming which I hope can fill the void.