Guitar strap query

What's Hot
You know on a new guitar strap - whats the point of those little extra strings you get attached at one end? Do you know the ones I mean?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Aren't they for going around the headstock on an acoustic ?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    I think it stems from the olden days when there were no strap buttons at the heel - you used the little extra bit to fasten around the neck just behind the nut.

Bloody awkward to play, though... I always felt the guitar was trying to escape from me!
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    To attach to an acoustic that has no front strap pin?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    I think we have a consensus, gentlemen!   =)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    You're all wrong...its a spare shoe lace thats a safety feature. If your shoe lace bust at a gig your shoe gets loose and you can fall and bust the headstock of your guitar...but with the spare shoe lace your shoe is back to factory specs in a jiffy, you don't trip over, and a headstock breakage is prevented.

Simples!  :3 :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wait - is there a really obvious answer and I just don't know about it? My honest question appears to have resulted in an almost atypical level of sarcasm! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Wait - is there a really obvious answer and I just don't know about it? My honest question appears to have resulted in an almost atypical level of sarcasm! 

What do you mean.. You've had the answer...??

Its only that last one that was sarcastic cos several of us have already said whats its for...

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2017
    D C'mon @Placidcasual79 ;;;;;;;...No, it wasn't sarcasm in any way - merely a bit of friendly fun to raise a chuckle ...chill dudes!  I thought it was darned imaginative actually... especially at this time of night!  headbanger1

Hold on, no .... I've just checked on the internet...I'm right, it IS a spare shoe lace, for tiny shoes...well I'll be jiggered! lol

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/shoelace-on-strap.101778/

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You can garrote the drummer with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72338
    It's for attaching a massive counterweight at the tail end of the strap when you're playing a Firebird or an SG.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    It's to bemuse people like yourself and to give you a question to ask on online forums such as this. ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @voxman + @Rabs.  

You misunderstand me - no need to worry - I am not the sensitive type. I just didn't realise I'd already had the answer! I am not averse to a bit of sarcasm/p*ss taking at all - its one of the best things about this forum.