What pedal to get next

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
Ok so I have a pedal board which I use for both acoustic and electric. On it I have a TC Polytune, Digitech compressor, Boo Instruments chorus, Hardwire reverb, MXR Phase 90, Delay (new Nova delay arriving soon), EHX Holy Stain which I use for tremolo mainly and a Mooer Blues Crab overdrive.

I am selling the compressor and trying to decide whether to get another compressor or if I was a different effect. I don't use fuzz or flanger so what would be a good option? What am I missing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    one drive is enough?
    no looper?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I never really use more than one drive. Not needed one so far anyway. My Holy Stain has fuzz and drive on it so I guess that's there if I do need it. I fancy a looper for jamming stuff but I don't think I'd use it enough to warrant the money - wouldn't use it live I don't think.
  • Micro pog would work on electric and acoustic. Maybe the ehx freeze too?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
     I fancy a looper for jamming stuff but I don't think I'd use it enough to warrant the money - wouldn't use it live I don't think.
    The TC Ditto is only £85, there's a lot of fun to be had with that...and being able to loop stuff easily helps your playing as you can easily record and listen back.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    using it live - Scott Henderson uses it for sound checks :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Ditto looper.... 

Hours of fun !

:)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    wah of some description.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Univibe.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Electro Harmonix Microsynthesizer!!!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    one of the ones I'm selling.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    one of the ones I'm selling.
    Psssst, best to insert a link ;-)
  • I forgot to mention I have a wah - a Morley wah. What are you selling Eric?
    I forgot to mention I have a wah - a Morley wah. What are you selling Eric?
    was only really a joke...walks away sheepishly...

I have a delay, a phaser and an OD for sale but all of which you have covered.

I think an auto wah or envelope filter ( I still don't understand the difference) might be interesting, can be quite different from a wah and adds an extra dimension without being overpowering. Good for clean funk and reggae shenanigans but also good for a different voice for blues/ rock eg as sometimes used by Warren Haynes, Lenny Kravitz, Guthrie Govan, Mark Knopfler, Pete Townsend (according to Wiki on Going Mobile),etc.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    I'd get an EP Booster.

I'd maybe thing of Wampler Ego if you replaced the comp

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I forgot to mention I have a wah - a Morley wah. What are you selling Eric?

I think an auto wah or envelope filter ( I still don't understand the difference) might be interesting, can be quite different from a wah and adds an extra dimension without being overpowering. Good for clean funk and reggae shenanigans but also good for a different voice for blues/ rock eg as sometimes used by Warren Haynes, Lenny Kravitz, Guthrie Govan, Mark Knopfler, Pete Townsend (according to Wiki on Going Mobile),etc.
    Auto wah just sweeps up and down in time.  An envelope filter sweeps according to the signal strength going into it - pick hard for 'wah', softly for a heel down sound.  

Except it doesn't sound at all like a wah.  
  • My Holy Stain has fuzz

Be wary though that if you take the Holy Stain's fuzz as representative, then that could be why you think you don't want to use fuzz.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I forgot to mention I have a wah - a Morley wah. What are you selling Eric?

Auto wah just sweeps up and down in time.  An envelope filter sweeps according to the signal strength going into it - pick hard for 'wah', softly for a heel down sound.  

Except it doesn't sound at all like a wah.  
    I thought an auto wah did the signal strength thing as well, certainly the one I had did ( indeed, that's why I struggled with it as I tend to hit the strings twice as hard live so whatever I had practised would come out sounding different).