Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

55 Junior on EBay

What's Hot

Comments

• sorry, yes, forgot to link the pic. here's the original, might be clearer

The thing is though, how can you ever really be sure exactly what it is? I mean, fr this one, you'd have to believe that the curious neck heel is kosher, you'd like to think it was originally TV yellow, it has a 55 (ie early) gap between p/u and bridge post, but maybe a later cap or maybe not and no serial number. I guess the only question really is what any individual feels comfortable paying. At 2.5 my feel is that its too much. I guess thats the same for all vintage guitars isnt it,  unless you buy it off the original owner! How people get comfortable buying 59LPs or custom colour strats at 6 figures I have no idea!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited February 2017
    That heel, both this one and the one in the auction have the same shape that seems to lean slightly to the left as we're looking at it. Would love to see more vintage jr's with that shape.

The control cavity does look old!

this 56 looks a bit closer in shape than others.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm no expert on LP Jrs but I've had a couple in the past including a custom shop and I've played a few vintage ones when Rod at vintage and rare had them in.

I'd love another 57 custom shop jobbie and my thinking would be that if you can pick this up for similar money (i.e. £1600-1700 ish) then you've got a great guitar to keep (assuming it plays well of course). If you were buying it hoping to get out of it without a loss if it doesn't stick then you'd really need to knock some serious money off as without some provenance you may be stuck with it for a while !

• yup, its tricky isnt it? I do love the look of the thing and really fancy one. Just quite risky, plus its bl00dy miles away! maybe I should just stop staring at the damned thing!!! :)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    @scalino65 Can you post the pic, Will?

55's wouldn't have a Bumblebee FWIW, it should be what they call a Grey Tiger - a longer brown capacitor with black writing. The pots should be centralab too which are flat backed.

**edit** Just saw the pic on eBay ad. The loom looks genuine, perhaps it's from a later guitar? That paint in the cavity looks like the white undercoat of TV Yellow, but could be from the refin...which looks like modern Gibson to me.

One thing though....I hope the seller is going to spend some of the money from the sale of this guitar on a decent bloody camera!!!

The plot thickens ;)
    Bumblebees started in 1956 but some 55's had bumblebees. Could be original. 

That's true, it could well be, especially after looking at the cavity shot. All the 54/55's ive seen personally have had grey tigers though so it could narrow it down to late 55/early 56. without the serial/pot codes, it's all speculation.

To be honest, it is what it is, a possible vintage, player grade guitar which IMO, without seeing it properly (those photos are naff) is overpriced. It's about an hour and a half away from me so I've asked the seller if I can go and see it. I'm not in the market for one at all so if they are forthcoming, I'll report back.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I'd be very interested in your view Neil. My bet is that you take it home with you!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Really interested too, I've been thinking long and hard about the one on the guitarauction website.

I can't help thinking there's something funny about both of these guitars.

Guitarauction say it's a Clive Brown refin from 15 years ago, the tuners (but not the pegs) and the pickup is original, everything else is changed and they even highlight that the bridge posts are chrome which is wrong.

I'm struggling to understand how so few parts would be salvaged in a refin, but completely believe in a more modern body with an old P90 dropped into it.

To me, the heel is just too different from the few pictures I've found of proven originals to feel good about either guitar.

Please keep us updated

• Well as Duncan Banatyne would say, I'm oot !
    I stuck a bid in at 1700 which is the most I'd pay for it knowing that if I didn't gel with it I wouldnt lose too much selling it.

I got a polite no unsurprisingly.  He was very nice about it though so based on the 3 or 4 lines he sent me I'd say he's pretty genuine even if the guitar isn't :-)
  • miserneil said:
    scalino65 said:
    Thanks for your thoughts chaps. Bloke reckons he has all the original bits in the case apart from the tail piece.He reckons it was TV rather than S/B as it originally had black knobs not see-through ones(??) He also says he bought it from Vintage and Rare in Bath in 2003 who gave him their certificate thingy. Cant remember what their certificates say but I'd say any 3rd party buyer wont have come back against V&R on it!
    I doubt the 1st party buyer had much either ;-)

This one is a far more attractive proposition in my opinion...

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-29-1955-gibson-les-paul-junior-single-cut-electric-guitar/

But, interestingly, compare the heels...

I was hoping I was the only one who had spotted that Special in the auction. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    what auction
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    scalino65 said:
    Thanks for your thoughts chaps. Bloke reckons he has all the original bits in the case apart from the tail piece.He reckons it was TV rather than S/B as it originally had black knobs not see-through ones(??) He also says he bought it from Vintage and Rare in Bath in 2003 who gave him their certificate thingy. Cant remember what their certificates say but I'd say any 3rd party buyer wont have come back against V&R on it!

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-29-1955-gibson-les-paul-junior-single-cut-electric-guitar/

Do you mean this one, which may or may not be a refin?

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-113-195960-gibson-les-paul-special-electric-guitar-made-in-usa/

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    miserneil said:
    scalino65 said:

Do you mean this one, which may or may not be a refin?

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-113-195960-gibson-les-paul-special-electric-guitar-made-in-usa/

£5500 - £6500??!!
    tFB Trader
    matches my date of birth - late 59 model
    Still a lot of dosh for a potential refin. 

Looks a lot like mine - 'cept mine is Cherry. It's got '59 pots and pups in it..
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Is it me or is the paint still wet on that one?
    tFB Trader
    Still a lot of dosh for a potential refin. 

Looks a lot like mine - 'cept mine is Cherry. It's got '59 pots and pups in it..
    I'm sure one day I will buy a 59 LP DC and cherry is the one - born in 59 as well
  • The evidence mounts.

Late '55/56 genuine article?

The evidence mounts.

Late '55/56 genuine article?

Without better pics, or a view in person I would say not enough evidence so too much of a risk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monoamine said:
    wondering if anyone is going to take the plunge and find out for us!
    Just done exactly that . The owner messaged me yesterday to follow up on my bid last week and after some mild negotiation agreed on a price. I've just spent a lovely morning just outside Glastonbury at his house playing it and talking guitars . He is a pro player, a total Gibson nut with a house full of vintage gear and the chops to go with it !

To cap it all he is originally from my home town in south London which was a massive coincidence as we both now live probably 250 miles away.

Lovely bloke and the guitar plays and sounds awesome. I'm now hoping my k line and Orville sell or my balls are for the chop :-)

PS  I'm not selling it but it sounded like a few of the guys on here were interested in it from a knowledge/historical perspective. Happy to post some better photos of any bits of it if anyone wants them - just let me know.

cheers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom