Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Soldering iron - Hakko FX-888D ??

What's Hot
Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
edited February 2017 in Guitar

It's time I got a decent soldering iron for general guitary type stuff.... such as making up patch cables etc.  Thinking of a Hakko FX-888D... any comments - good or bad. Bit more expensive that I'd like - but it seems to get some good write ups, so I'd rather buy something decent that's going to do a decent job and is going to last.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hakko-fx-888d-70w-mains-solder-station-a86uf

Anybody got one? Like it / dislike it?

Is the standard tip that they come with suitable for making up instrument cables?

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it's just guitar cables and pickup swaps etc, then any adjustable-heat soldering iron should be fine. And yeah, the basic tips are fine.
  • @robinbowes Thanks for the info. Can you say what's better about the Atten versus the Hakko?

... also, having Googled the Atten, I had a quick read of a couple of reviews on the ST-60 and one guy was saying there's no tip temperature sensor on the AT-60... but there is on the AT-80. I'm not sure if that's an issue.

Cheers.

• I'm no expert but, in general, Maplin sell over-priced crap. I did some research a while ago and came up with the Atten range as a good option - I forget why.

Basically, I'm suggesting you do more research! :)

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @robinbowes thanks for the info.

• In general Maplins do sell overpriced crap - some of the soldering irons they have however are pretty decent 
  • Whatever you do, don't even try using a weller, you can't afford one and it makes everything else feel inferior. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    I have one of those which I use for electronics. Great iron but probably overkill for guitar stuff. I know got mine quite a few years ago but that price seems expensive? 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937

It's time I got a decent soldering iron for general guitary type stuff.... such as making up patch cables etc.  Thinking of a Hakko FX-888D... any comments - good or bad. Bit more expensive that I'd like - but it seems to get some good write ups, so I'd rather buy something decent that's going to do a decent job and is going to last.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hakko-fx-888d-70w-mains-solder-station-a86uf

Anybody got one? Like it / dislike it?

Is the standard tip that they come with suitable for making up instrument cables?

Thanks.

Wow, are you really going to spend £140 on a iron to solder some patch leads, seems insanely expensive :o ! I've made endless patch leads, repaired cables, installed and wired up loads of pickups/guitar electrics and modified a couple of pedals with a cheapo £6.99 Blackspur soldering iron. I know some might think they're a bit rubbish and I have considered getting something a bit better, but in all honesty I've had no problems with it.

As others have said Maplin are an utter rip off, you're gauranteed to find most stuff they sell cheaper elsewhere.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited February 2017
    I bought the cheapest heat adjustable iron on eBay, I know the temp isn't going to be the most accurate, and it may not last forever, but it was cheap, and for just the occasional bit of guitar soldering it's fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58W-Variable-Temperature-Soldering-Station-Iron-Kit-Electronic-Repair-Incl-1-Tip-/272211768702?hash=item3f6115f57e:g:TAwAAOSw5L9XD4q9
    Jack_ said:
    I bought the cheapest heat adjustable iron on eBay, I know the temp isn't going to be the most accurate, and it may not last forever, but it was cheap, and for just the occasional bit of guitar soldering it's fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58W-Variable-Temperature-Soldering-Station-Iron-Kit-Electronic-Repair-Incl-1-Tip-/272211768702?hash=item3f6115f57e:g:TAwAAOSw5L9XD4q9
    Looks good! To be honest if someone can't solder a couple of cables/some guitar electrics with that, then they can't solder.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    edited February 2017

If you want a Hakko, Dancap are the original UK importers and are cheaper than Maplin - http://www.dancap.co.uk/soldering/fx888D.html

I bought my FX-888 from them a few years ago, and they were good to deal with, however they don't take card payments. If you drop them an email listing what you'd like to buy, they'll send you a total along with payment details.

• steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited February 2017
    The link you originally posted is the sort of iron that someone working full time in a electronics factory might use, instead of something to solder up a patch lead every now and again. It would be akin to using a Ferrari on the school run - it will look cool and get the job done, but you could get the same result in a ford fiesta costing 15% of the price. 

Your money  of course. 
    Plus I'd never buy anything from Maplin, they basically make money by mugging off the elderly and the non-tech savvy by charging them £20 for HDMI cable or basic 3.5mm aux cable. Everything there is hugely overpriced.
  • I've got that Hakko model, bought from Dancap too.  I am actually in love with it.
  • I plan on getting one of those Hakkos and although I've seen one in Maplins, it's not from their "overpriced crap" range. There's a few YouTube videos about them (including a couple comparing them with fakes).

I've been spoilt by Wellers after working in electronics for a few years (Fluke meters as well!), so that Hakko seems reasonably priced compared to both a cheap Chinese generic one, and a used Weller. The only DIY I do is related to guitars/amps/pedals (or bikes), so compared to a range of power tools for instance, it's not excessive.

You can do most things with a 25W Antex, but anybody who owns a custom shop Strat could play the same things on a Squier Affinity, Your money of course. ;)

If you don't use a suitably expensive soldering iron then it won't induce the right chemical reaction in the soldering process, which will directly affect your tone.

Fact.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    If you don't use a suitably expensive soldering iron then it won't induce the right chemical reaction in the soldering process, which will directly affect your tone.

Fact.
    That and ensuring solder has nitro based flux otherwise none of your joints or wiring will be able to breathe.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hakko have a very good reputation. 
    Might buy one.

My Antec has proved to be junk. 
  • Actually, if you're just doing the occasional patch cable a £25 Antex is fine, or if you want to splash out, the Maplins soldering stations for about £40-50 have a good reputation. I was thinking about my own situation - another Ampmaker kit and several Fuzzdog pedals are planned...