SORTED Bogner La Grange

What's Hot

Comments

• Shame, I tried at higher volume and was really disappointed. The high gain setting is almost unusable for me, starts getting really noisy at noon-ish. The mid gain is my favourite but got a bit hollow sounding, almost as if I'm playing in a reverb chamber. Really don't know what's up but it doesn't seem right to me so I've arranged to send it back. Shame :-/
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Will try to move this to FX instead of here

• Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    Shame it didnt work for you.Got to play it at a rehearsal  tonight.  kept the mid gain on and dialed just under noon. Variac off and compression switch off. Made a good rhythm drive which I boosted with a drive before for solos. Staying on the board for more play so far.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I keep the gain about 2 o'clock, because of noise though recently added an NS2 so its now quiet, when stacked too. Also higher gain seemed to add a lot more compression and not much extra dirt.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    For me it was gainy enough on the middle gain setting, didn't like the variac switch much though. I play mostly rhythm style guitar, so for me it was ideal, nice and clear with decent levels of gain

I will definitely get another once the paint issues are sorted.
    Paint on mine is fine so far. Had it since Monday.
  • I tried one but returned it as well. Like you say, it was just too noisy on high gain.
    The lower gain sounds were pretty good and I thought the clean boost (useable independently of the main drive) was also really good. 
    I liked the footswitches but was a bit disappointed with the finish. It wasn't nice like a clean powder coat but felt more like I'd sprayed it myself. I thought the screen printing wasn't that good as well. 
    Ultimately it just wasn't quite as versatile as I'd hoped for my setup.  
  • Arrrgh, just made the mistake of trying it again on mid and low gain settings, sounds nice. That lack of usable high gain still upsets me though, like @handsomerik says, it's that lack of versatility which is really annoying.

I agree too so far. Put it in low gain, play hey joe, yep, that's the sound. Mid gain and a bit of cant get enough, nice. But so many other pedals hit that high gain modded marshall sound better I think. What it does well works for me though.
  • @Mike77 what's your settings?

Ok. So I had a tryout with a band (classic rock)  last night and stuck this on the board. The settings I ended up on are mid gain, variac off, presence 0, structure 0, tone just under 12, blend just over 12, gain about 2 O clock. Thats quite high gain for how I've had it at home but in a band is a different beast I guess. Tamed it with the volume on guitar where needed. The Hendrix plexi clean sound I got was on lo gain with the gain dial about 10-11ish and the blend all the way to the left. I'm playing through a Mesa lonestar with the clean channel set very clean btw. The dirt channel sounds crap with it even on the edge of break up. Hope that helps @Jonathanthomas83 .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Mike77 that's perfect. I use almost exactly the same setting as you on the mid gain. Will take a look at the Hey Joe setting later, sounds fun!

Cool. Have fun.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited February 2017
    Ok so, I've decided that the feedback at high gain doesn't affect me that much as I'm using this mainly for mid gain. 

Really enjoying this pedal at the moment. It's got its downsides, such as expression instead of remote input. And the feedback is a bit disappointing...but its not a dealbreaker. Fact of the matter is that it sounds really, really nice!

Can definitely get clean Hendrix and GnR in spades and thats all I really wanted, so happy days!

Worth checking out if you need a MIAB!

Glad you enjoyed it in the end mate. And yes, I agree it's worth a look. I like using it on mid gain fir that base marshall sound and then cooking it with other pedals if needed. Did your settings change much?
  • @Mike77 me too, using a Klone into it, sounds killer! What you using?

My settings are pretty much the same but I'm addicted to that clean setting, especially with a Klone in front. Really nails that Jimi sound! Strat helps too, obviously! But it's really nice and woody, like a plexi! Sounds gawjus!

@Jonathanthomas83 ; I've been using a paisley drive mainly (ts based) and a muffroom cloud for fun. Which klone are you using? RYRA?
    Never had a klon(e). Its on the gas list.Like the reviews etc of tumnus, ryra and peacekeeper.
    Anyway, la grange does nail a lovely clean plexi. Especially on a strat. =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Mike77 yep, a RYRA. It's a nice drive, not for everyone though. With my Laney Lionheart and the La Grange it really pushes it into JCM800 territory on the mid channel (saves having to go into the high gain and get feedback) and with the low gain, it just sounds even more plexi. You need gain off on the Klone when the LG is on low gain, and I dial gain around 1:00 on the klone when LG is in mid gain. So it's not without having to fiddle, unfortunately.

Thanks @Jonathanthomas83 . Think I'll have to visit a guitar shop for a klone tryout and see if it's for me next time I got gas change.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Thanks to you guys pointing out the good deal at Peachguitars and having watched Sam Vilo's demos on youtube, I went and ordered one from Peach. I should have it in a couple of days. Hope it'll live up to expectations, but going by your comments I've got a good feeling! Low-gain, classic JTM with a Strat is what I'm after, so it could be a perfect match- and the independent boost function is really useful to me also.