Roland Jazz Chorus - smaller versions

I've been toying with the idea of a Stereo Rig, with my main baby being a Friedman I'm looking at something quite opposite - I've never really got on with Fender-type amps so was considering a Mesa but I'm not made of dosh - and another idea that jumped out was a JC - so I'm looking at a JC22, JC20, JC40, etc.

Are there any particular munters or diamonds in the line I should be aware of when you go below the JC120? 

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I always liked the JC-77 (2x10") - the JC-40 in the current series appears to be quite close apart from the power output, and does have stereo inputs. The JC-55 (2x8") was also a lot of fun and although it didn't quite have the big expansive sound of the larger ones, for some reason the distortion sound on it seemed the best - I know you don't buy a JC for the distortion though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited February 2017
    Yamaha thr100hd? I've just bought a quilter pro block which I'm looking forward to trying out when it arrives.

I did used to have a 1x12 jazz chorus. Think it was the jc50. It was OK but I never really gigged it as preferred my other amps
  • The JC40 is great, the cleans are the warmest and nicest I've heard in a solid state amp. It has stereo inputs at the front and a stereo FX loop. I'm off to a large reputable guitar shop (name not supplied) to try one out with a Strymon Riverside and a couple of stereo effects to see how they sound together.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I love the sound of stereo. Would be interested to try a JC40 with a ping pong delay and a Big Sky
  • ICBM said:
    I always liked the JC-77 (2x10")
    I have one - and can confirm it's greatness.

Clean tones always sound better coming out of 10" speakers, as far as my ears are concerned. I've never understood why though...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I've just A/B d the JC22 vs the JC40 in Coda.

The JC22 is very good, punchy,  lovely chorus.

The JC40 is really fantastic, with much more spread and bottom end. It's not much heavier either.

Really inspiring to play, I was coming up with 80s style riffs and progressions from nowhere. Should have bought it, hopefully next time!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2017
    ICBM said:
    I always liked the JC-77 (2x10")
    I have one - and can confirm it's greatness.

Clean tones always sound better coming out of 10" speakers, as far as my ears are concerned. I've never understood why though...
    I'm right with you - its hard to put in words but I know exactly what you mean. I have a Laney VC30-210 (2x10" Jensen C10Q16's) - beautiful bell-like shimmery cleans that really cut through the mix. I think the tens give it a toppier, sparklier and more vintage sounding tone than you get with 12's which are more bottom heavy and typically take something away from that sparkle.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)