NAD/NSD: Vintage Fender Solid State Stuff

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
Acquired this today...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    That gets a definite Wow! Rare as a very rare thing…

Although it looks like the wrong cab for the head, that's a PA amp and should have come with column speakers I think. That looks more like the 3x12" Bassman cab.

Hilarious how dated it looks now, considering it was 'futuristic' at the time compared to the traditional valve amps.

Is it working? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Indeed.

The head is a PA4100X and the cab is a SPK0312. The head should be the (similar-looking) solid state Bassman.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Not tested yet. The amp needs a thorough going over.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Didn't Jan Ackerman use Fender Solid State stuff for a while?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    SOLID STATE!

A badge of honour in those days I assume.

I've only seen pictures of these so I guess pretty rare H?
  • Neil said:
    SOLID STATE!

A badge of honour in those days I assume.

I've only seen pictures of these so I guess pretty rare H?

Well, I've not seen any "in the wild" for some time! :)

I've never seen one of the amps - just one or possibly two of the cabs, I can't remember. I think it/they were smaller than this one, probably the 2x12". Presumably people kept them to use with valve heads after the solid-state amps blew up.

Solid-state was definitely a badge of honour then - it was the future. Fender were unfortunate that by being one of the first, they got caught by a lot of the problems before the technology matured - and they were doubly unlucky that music was moving from fairly clean, refined sounds to distorted rock sounds at almost exactly this time.

By this time Leo had left Fender and his self-taught repairman's 'thrash it til it breaks, find out what went wrong and change it' method he'd used to make his valve amps reliable had been replaced by college-trained electronics engineers who didn't really understand what musicians did with their equipment.

The PA amp actually has a better chance of having survived than the guitar and bass ones, since it's less likely to have been thrashed as hard - solid-state amps *still* can't tolerate being driven fully into power-stage clipping really, so they had no chance with the relatively fragile transistors of the time.

If it is working, I'd love to hear what it sounds like - I worked on an original '64 Vox T60 some years ago, which was probably the very first production transistor amp, and were notorious for unreliability. That one must have lived a sheltered life because all the transistors were original and it worked fine - and it sounded wonderful, at least clean. I didn't dare overdrive it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Where the hell do you find all of this stuff!!?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And this is what the amp should look like...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never seen one. 

Never heard of one. 

Where do you find these?! It actually looks amazing, I love how proud it is to be solid state :) 
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    Amazing!

Solid state is still the future ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Genuine wow.  Never seen an amp like that before! 

What does it sound like? 
  • No idea yet...needs a thorough service first!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Does it have Valves?
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Fantastic piece of history! I last saw and read about this amp in the 'Soul of Tone' book about Fender amps - well worth getting btw.
    Does it have Valves?
    No! The only things with a vacuum in it are the light bulbs :).

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    Does it have Valves?
    No! The only things with a vacuum in it are the light bulbs :).
    I need to get my sarcasm filter serviced
    Bridgehouse said:

I need to get my sarcasm filter serviced
    I guessed you were joking, I just think it's amusing that it actually has more light bulbs than most valve amps have valves :). (Although technically the bulbs are inert-gas-filled, not vacuum tubes.)