NPD - Fractal FX8

What's Hot
This is an immediate cure for pedal GAS. I'm also cured of amp switching syndrome (ASS) since my Redplate came along. Just need to hook it all up in 4CM and attach a CS Relic HB/SC/SC Strat at the other end and I'm finally finished with the chase.....TBC
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Congrats :) Selling mine after 5 months with it but only because Helix has turned my head and has options I can't get from the FX8 - it's a great tool tho! Enjoy.
  • You and @Wazmeister are almost rig twins now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 867
    Sounds perfect combination! Quite jealous........

Be interested to hear how the drives on the FX8 are - still have a bit of a mental block in using digital drives! :-(
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    Congrats! These are starting to have more of an appeal after the umpteenth pedalboard re-jig. The options of routing and parameter changes should enable you to cover almost anything, which when you're playing covers is quite appealing!

I think I'm leaning more towards the AX8 though as it adds in the amp/cab model options which I think i'd use more than the 4 cable and amp switching options of the FX8.

@Vaiai   - I'm intrigued to know what made you go Helix over AX8?
  • newi123 said:
    Sounds perfect combination! Quite jealous........

Be interested to hear how the drives on the FX8 are - still have a bit of a mental block in using digital drives! :-(
    I don't invisage using the drives as such, maybe the BB Preamp or MXR Microamp models to push the front of the amp a bit.
  • Vaiai said:
    Congrats :) Selling mine after 5 months with it but only because Helix has turned my head and has options I can't get from the FX8 - it's a great tool tho! Enjoy.
    Want to send it back here by bogey courier!? Lol

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I also have a Redplate and an FX8. It's a great combination.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Btw if anyone is inter3sted in swapping patches and blocks for the fx8 then give me a shout. I'm still trying to get to grips with mine preset wise tho have set up a bunch as work in progress.
  • ennspek said:
    So can the FX8 change channels on the RP through the MIDI Footswitch channel?
    edited February 2017
    Mine can do the Victory with a normal instrument cable same as your amp footswitch if you have one for channels/reverb/or boost etc (may need a TRS cable tho) - can also do midi but Relays make it nice and simple - 

Vaiai said:
    Want to send it back here by bogey courier!? Lol

Beexter said:
    Congrats! These are starting to have more of an appeal after the umpteenth pedalboard re-jig. The options of routing and parameter changes should enable you to cover almost anything, which when you're playing covers is quite appealing!

I think I'm leaning more towards the AX8 though as it adds in the amp/cab model options which I think i'd use more than the 4 cable and amp switching options of the FX8.

@Vaiai   - I'm intrigued to know what made you go Helix over AX8?

@Aidanspaghetti ;
    hell no! :)

@Beexter - modelling and direct to PA is becoming more of an option with venues we play - plus ability to do home recording etc. FX8 is stunning bit of kit tho and I'm not in a mad hurry to sell but I put the ad up anyway as I do want to get the Helix and get started. Have gigs most weekends too so need to make sure I have kit for a gig whilst transitioning lol

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    @Vaiai  I was interested to know why Helix instead of AX8 but I guess the Helix has the audio interface built in and is probably more readily available.
    Beexter said:
    @Vaiai  I was interested to know why Helix instead of AX8 but I guess the Helix has the audio interface built in and is probably more readily available.
    Sorry, so you did :) Speed reading before going to a meeting lol

I like a lot of the Helix features, built in Exp pedal, simplicity of UI and coloured lights with scribble strips for on stages - surprisingly becomes quite a feature when on a darkened one! Editing on the fly is another - FX8 is not bad and I always learn on the unit before using the supplied software for that reason.

ennspek said:
    I think so. I've not tried yet to be honest as the RP is almost as complicated as the FX8!
    @Wazmeister may have tried.
  • ennspek said:
    ennspek said:
    I think so. I've not tried yet to be honest as the RP is almost as complicated as the FX8!
    In one of the FX8 demos I saw, you can use it to change amp channels, think it has relay switching capability.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9583
    edited February 2017
    From Keith at Redplate regarding FX8 switching...

Anyone know if you can buy one of these below ?

"The FX8 will work fine with the amp.  You will need to make a little break-out box to convert the midi footswitch jack to two TRS jacks for the FX8.  On the back of the amp is a pinout for the jack, it just shorts or opens to ground for each function of the amp, which is the same as the sleeve in Fractal’s literature.  Very straight forward.  "
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    This is an immediate cure for pedal GAS. I'm also cured of amp switching syndrome (ASS) since my Redplate came along. Just need to hook it all up in 4CM and attach a CS Relic HB/SC/SC Strat at the other end and I'm finally finished with the chase.....TBC
    Pleased you're enjoying it Paul. I know Fractal gear has it's haters but just like you're finding, the FX8 ended my constant pedal GAS.

Cheers, David 
    From Keith at Redplate regarding FX8 switching...

Anyone know if you can buy one of these below ?

"The FX8 will work fine with the amp.  You will need to make a little break-out box to convert the midi footswitch jack to two TRS jacks for the FX8.  On the back of the amp is a pinout for the jack, it just shorts or opens to ground for each function of the amp, which is the same as the sleeve in Fractal’s literature.  Very straight forward.  "
    Wiz'd