Loop pedals

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
So I've seen these being used but can someone explain how they work?
I take it you press the pedal to record and press again to stop recording and start looping? So to use one effectively timing is everything? What about multiple loops? Is this pedal dependant? 
I just took the notion tonight that wouldn't it be great to be able to jam along to , well , me. 
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Oh, and I seen this guy using one.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • I love using a loop pedal for riff writing and practice. Pretty easy to use - some have way more features than others and timing can be tricky at first. I like the Digitech Jam Man solo XT and the Pigtronix infinity.
  • The most basic ones basically work like you say - push button, it starts recording, push again, it then stops recording and loops everything you just played. Most lookers these days will then let you record even more stuff on top. More complex ones will let you do this like remove the overdubs, or will do things like designate one loop for verse and another for chorus, etc. 

You do need a bit of practice to get the timing right, again some of the fancier loopers have features to help with this. 

As a looper newbie you could do a lot worse than the tc electronic ditto - or Rowin do an imitation of it that costs about £30 on ebay, absolutely great wee things. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I have 6 sec of overdubbbable loop with my Digitech Delay even... makes you think real hard what to add!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I had a TC Dittox2 which I replaced with the Jamman Solo XT. This works better for me because I can store multiple loops. So if I come with a nice drone, I can save it then use it at band practice or live.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Nice how-to from KT Tunstall going into detail about how she does Black Horse and a Cherry Tree: