Going Digital? Fun quote from a tone snob.

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
I have a mate who has played professionally for many years and knows and loves his gear - he is off to a gig in a far away land and has been working with a Helix to make life easier - he put up a great comment today on my FB page.
He has Suhrs and Friedman and all sorts of great gear too. No slouch in the playing dept either.

"I'm the biggest guitar sound tone snob you'll ever meet...this thing (Helix) is brilliant...and think about it...there ye are up on stage at the dog n duck with yer tasty Suhr ( all 3 of us ! ) plugged into xyz boutique amp with abc true bypass this and vintage that thinking "this sounds amazing" BUT wee Agnes and Tommy sat at the back of the room are hearing you filtered thru a shagged SM57 that's been dropped a hundred times with some snotty wee oik 'soundman' deciding how to EQ yer glorious and righteous tone....first world problems boys"

I thought I'd share :)

This is not to start a war - an amp is still the best thing (I'll be using my Helix 4CM so still with real amp) but if you can get 95% of the way there and have all the benefits of an all in one unit you have to weigh that up - esp if you are a regular gigging player.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    That's why you should always use a 100W amp and not go through the PA.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:

Wait til he's playing Glastonbury ;)
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    The reason he posted is a mate of mine said "You are at the mercy of the PA if you go direct" I said I used to think the same then realised even if you are mic'ed up with a real amp - you are at the mercy of the same crap PA!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    ICBM said:

Said the guitarist drowning out the other members of the band on stage, playing his own gig, ruining the ears of the band/crowd/himself, creating a noise war on stage...

;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    ICBM said:

Said the guitarist drowning out the other members of the band on stage, playing his own gig, ruining the ears of the band/crowd/himself, creating a noise war on stage...

;-)
    Also known as "winning"
    9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:

;-)
    Also known as "winning"
    And not getting invited back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    You don't need to go back once you've won.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I like to mix my own sound in my ears .... out front is someone else's problem :)

To be honest you would have to try very hard to fuck up a guitar sound with a humble dynamics  mic and even the shittiest PA ........ yeah you can kill a piano sound or an acoustic guitar sound as these require a pretty faithful reproduction and extended bandwidth but not electric guitar ... it's all mainly mids 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    ICBM said:

Wait til he's playing Glastonbury ;)

He'll not get anywhere near Glastonbury with a Suhr.  Only '70s style Teles with at least one Wide Range humbucker are allowed in.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Give him an Katana with the price tag still on it to really test his snobbery!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:

;-)
    Also known as "winning"
    Music isn't a competitive sport for real musicians.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Danny1969 said:
    I like to mix my own sound in my ears .... out front is someone else's problem :)

To be honest you would have to try very hard to fuck up a guitar sound with a humble dynamics  mic and even the shittiest PA ........ yeah you can kill a piano sound or an acoustic guitar sound as these require a pretty faithful reproduction and extended bandwidth but not electric guitar ... it's all mainly mids 

You would think that, but I used my Kemper in church last week instead of a mic'ed real amp.  The sound engineer said it sounded clearer, and a couple of other people commented to me on my playing sounding good.  I think that was partly because they could hear it more clearly than normal.

I've heard it from the other side with someone else playing as well.  The first time I ever saw a Kemper was in 2012 on stage with a US band playing over here.  I'd seen them in the same venue with the same PA the year before with the guitarist using a conventional amp.  The sound out front was a lot better with the Kemper.