Epiphone Emporor Swingster.Anyone got/had one?

breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10305
I'm looking at scratching my hollow body itch,and due to Gretsch's recent price increases I'm looking at other options.I'm quite liking the look of these but wanted to know others opinions from people who have owned or played one.

Cheers.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10031014030828
Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited February 2017
    I don't have one but my mate bought one and I set it up for him so I played around with it for a bit.

Solidly built (maybe a little heavy?) and pretty good for the money. Like a lot of Epihones, I'd say the weak point is the pickups - much is made of the 'specially designed' pickups/switching but, from what I can gather, they seem to be the standard Epiphone overwound humbuckers in custom 'Gretsch-alike' covers. The switching is between standard 'series' and 'parallel' which is thinner. To be honest, I thought the series setting was a bit too full on for this style of guitar and it sounded better (but a bit bland) in the parallel setting.

My mate is still using the guitar and enjoys playing it. I've recommended he upgrades the pickups to something more 'Gretschy' from Oil City (and bin the switching)..
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited February 2017
    I have  one in Orange. I alsoo bought a gretsch g5422tdc in the lovely red. Set the Gretsch up with 11's . The gretsch looked amazing but was not a a patch on the  swingster in sound, play and  feel. Really wanted to love the  Gretsch, but sadly it had to go and kept the swingster. I now also have the older gretsch pro jet with Bigsby(so still in the gretsch club' ) 
    If you are anywhere near Leeds?You are more  than welcome to try it, nice chunky neck,the Chet atkins style bigsby holds tune very well,I have set it up with 12's with a wound G string.
    Cheers
    Mark. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10305
    Thanks for that @steamabacus ;

I'm liking the sound of that @marktheharp and thanks for the offer but I'm a bit too far from Leeds.Just need to shift one or two guitars on and I reckon I may go for it.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited February 2017
    Your welcome. Let us  know how you get on. They do occasionally come up for sale 2nd hand.gumtree and eBay but have  to be  patient.
     There are quite a few youtube reviews ,playing rockabilly etc and  they certainly do the gretsch thing,very well indeed !
    I got my swingster in a trade and have  had it about two and a half  years. Not going anywhere.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Cool guitars ...........have played a couple and enjoyed them ......need 11s at least