Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need a forum induced slap round the face..

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    You don't need a vintage Jazz that expensive. If you want a Jazz you can buy a perfectly good one for a fraction of the price.

Sell the two Rickenbacker guitars and buy a 4001 instead :).

Sell one or two of the other guitars and buy an EB-3 or a Thunderbird. Or sell the R8 and buy an EB-3 *and* a Thunderbird.

Sell something and buy a Hofner.

So many options… so many more interesting basses than spending it all on an expensive Jazz ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    You don't need a vintage Jazz that expensive. If you want a Jazz you can buy a perfectly good one for a fraction of the price.

Sell the two Rickenbacker guitars and buy a 4001 instead :).

Sell one or two of the other guitars and buy an EB-3 or a Thunderbird. Or sell the R8 and buy an EB-3 *and* a Thunderbird.

Sell something and buy a Hofner.

So many options… so many more interesting basses than spending it all on an expensive Jazz ;).
    Stop being so bloody sensible!

;)

I also have a hankering for a "weighs the same as a small planet" Travis Bean TB2000

And I do want a 4001.

I also quite fancy a luthier commissioned custom job.

I'd love an original run thunderbird..

And.. and...

Shoot me now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited February 2017
    So actually the thing to do is sell some guitars as you don't play them and don't buy a bass because it's a fad.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    My question in all these circumstances is "what's the gig?"

I play bass for loads of people live and in the studio, playing originals and a wide variety of covers and the only thing I have in common with almost all the world's greatest bassists is that I only need one bass.

By all means sell whatever you want to get the bass of your dreams, but don't start another collection, it's an illness.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    This is now more like the slap I was expecting!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Here's the thing; I would rather have one pre CBS strat than 3 CS strats. So do it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

p90fool said:
    My question in all these circumstances is "what's the gig?"

I play bass for loads of people live and in the studio, playing originals and a wide variety of covers and the only thing I have in common with almost all the world's greatest bassists is that I only need one bass.

By all means sell whatever you want to get the bass of your dreams, but don't start another collection, it's an illness.
    :)
    This is also true.

That's why I have my 4001 and….

… I gave my Fender Mustang Bass to my daughter.

I get occasionally tempted by a fretless, but I had one a couple of years ago and barely played it, so I sold it to a friend who wanted one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You've all managed to collectively sum up where I'm at!

@Gassage is right - if you are going to have one good one, you might as well have one really good one

And @p90fool and @ICBM are also right. I bought the 74 P as it was a YOB not expecting that much for a 70s Fender - but it takes everything admirably in its stride. As I'm trying more complex stuff it's just lapping it up. It sounds great and it's so easy to play.

I probably don't need anything else. It probably is an illness ;) I'm just wondering if it's worth chopping in some of the stuff that isn't being played for something that might actually get played.

First world bloody problems huh?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...probably a Sea BASS...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Posting your lovely R8 Lemonburst again is just cruel & unusual punishment ! weep 
    What you going to do if I decide to sell it??!!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Is this the back of the queue?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    edited February 2017
    I have a cure for what you are experiencing..........buy a drum kit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have a cure for what you are experiencing..........buy a drum kit.
    The missus plays - we have two ;)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Voxman said:
    Posting your lovely R8 Lemonburst again is just cruel & unusual punishment ! weep 
    Burgle the buyers house.....

Image result for simples
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Burgle the buyers house.....

Image result for simples
    Surely you'd want to own it honestly...

...just think how bad you'd feel every time you played it ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Gassage said:
    Here's the thing; I would rather have one pre CBS strat than 3 CS strats. So do it.
    The only problem is that there are places where you wouldn't want to take a pre-CBS Strat because it's too valuable.  You would need something less valuable as well.  Although there are times a CS would be too valuable as well.  I bought a Mexican one a couple of years ago so I can take it places that I don't want to take my more expensive guitars.
    edited February 2017
    Now then, there's a '64 refin Precision on Basschat, all original except it's now natural and has a swapped out pickguard.. it looks like low end sex on a stick. And it is of course pre-CBS

I could part with the R8 and pick this up.. whaddaya think?
    No. You already have an unusually good (birth year?) Precision, why do you need another one?

If you want another bass that's different that's a different question...

ICBM said:
    No. You already have an unusually good (birth year?) Precision, why do you need another one?

If you want another bass that's different that's a different question...
    Stop that. Stop that now. Because that road leads to N1, Andy Baxter Basses, and a Jazz....