Mexa Boogie Express 5:25+ and 5:50+

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
Anyone have a view on the Mesa Boogie Express amps?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I had a 5:50+ and it was a great gigging amp. The only slight frustration for me was how the channel switching was laid out: clean and crunch were one side of the switch with blues and burn being the other - I only had need for clean and crunch.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Is the effects loop OK? Would it take a Helix for effects only or 4CM?

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Is the effects loop OK? Would it take a Helix for effects only or 4CM?
    I can't think of any issues with mine - typically well designed modern Mesa loop as far as I recall.
  • There are a few 5:50s secondhand but people are certainly hanging on to their 5:25s.  IIRC there was a big volume change between clean and crunch which might be an issue if you're looking to use both like @simonk. ; I've nearly pushed the button on the 5:25+ more than once.  More suited to my style than the Mk5 - and a lot cheaper.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I have a 5:25+ and have used it successfully with a Helix in 4CM.

It's a great amp, but TBH I'm not using it so I'm prolly going to sell on. That's not a reflection on it as an amp - I'm going Helix and FRFR
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Really like my 5.25+ head. It seems well built but is also really compact and lightweight compared to my orange rocker 30 head.
    The Mesa can cover a really wide range of tones but takes a bit more time to dial in as a consequence- certainly in comparison to the Orange.
    It's also plenty loud- I often run it in 5w mode at rehearsals and there's still enough oomph to get over the drummer.
  • I have a 5:25+ and have used it successfully with a Helix in 4CM.

It's a great amp, but TBH I'm not using it so I'm prolly going to sell on. That's not a reflection on it as an amp - I'm going Helix and FRFR

Interesting, I am with Helix and guitars but not jumped on a FRFR speaker or amp yet and am wavering.

Considering the Yamaha DXR10 but previous experience with a AxeFX and CLR is holding me back and making me consider a combo and going 4CM

What FRFR are you looking at?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I have a 5:25+ and have used it successfully with a Helix in 4CM.

Interesting, I am with Helix and guitars but not jumped on a FRFR speaker or amp yet and am wavering.

Considering the Yamaha DXR10 but previous experience with a AxeFX and CLR is holding me back and making me consider a combo and going 4CM

What FRFR are you looking at?

Barefaced FR800 - mostly due to its ability to handle bass. I'd be tempted to say stick with a good combo and 4CM if you're just doing guitar tho...
  • Only thing I can add is I've got an Express cab for sale :)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent