A bit of blatant ebay Gibson 'ittyness' going on near to me !

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
edited January 2014 in Guitar

I'm not sure if the Ricky is logo'd, but I swear this seller has been knocking out his Chinese wares in other guises.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOS-Iced-Tea-Electric-Guitar-CHINESE-GUITAR-/161202512272?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item25886b2190

This listing  ^^^^^ which was a Chinese Gibson has since been pulled.  Just to save confusion when you get halfway down the thread !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Strings-Bass-Guitar-4003-Bass-Guitar-blue-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-Multiple-colour-/161204872162?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item25888f23e2

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not afwul!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    I'm thinking of Purchasing This Exquisite Piece Of Music Instrument And Making Music In Good Taste 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I hate this stuff but after looking at the photographs I would love to handle this guitar, because I want to know what we are dealing with here.

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    He does state in the blurb that this is Made In China, so hardly going to fool anyone is he. :))
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Lexie1 said:
    He does state in the blurb that this is Made In China, so hardly going to fool anyone is he. :))

I'm surprised Gibson and ebay have got this lax over such naughtiness.  I might ask to take a look at their stock.

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    edited January 2014
    If you fancy a look at the stock give us a shout and I'll play driver for such an expedition, I just down road from you anyway LOL.
    Fancy a bit of looking at horrors as I never made it to Mayfield, home of our favourite "Converter and Modifier"  
    :))
    Lexie1 said:
    If you fancy a look at the stock give us a shout and I'll play driver for such an expedition, I just down road from you anyway LOL.
    Fancy a bit of looking at horrors as I never made it to Mayfield, home of our favourite "Converter and Modifier"  
    :))
    I will make contact and see what else they have. This could be an interesting adventure ;)

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited January 2014
    I dont see that as 'fakery'  if he's clearly selling it as a 'chinese' guitar with no mention of it being a Gibson?   Whether he actually has a feckin guitar to sell is another matter,  

Scammery yes fakery no
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited January 2014
    bertie said:
    I dont see that as 'fakery'  if he's clearly selling it as a 'chinese' guitar with no mention of it being a Gibson?   Whether he actually has a feckin guitar to sell is another matter,  

Scammery yes fakery no
    I should have said 'counterfitty' of fakery guitarity..

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524

That was quickly pulled, who told sir !

I did.  It was so blatant that not even ebay could let that run
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • siremoon;147835" said:
    Bogwhoppit said:

That was quickly pulled, who told sir !

I did.  It was so blatant that not even ebay could let that run
    Good work.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I took a punt on a Chinese Gibson-branded LP Junior a few years ago - looked the part and sounded okay but the finish was peeling off the neck within days and the overall finish felt 'cheap'. Returned it. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9612
    Look at the feedback of the seller of the Rick - he only sold 1 item: "Galaxy Note 3 N9006 5.7" Android 4.3 Mobile Phone (replica)"

Just because we can't see or read a Gibson logo doesn't mean that he isn't selling a fake.
  • bertie said:

Scammery yes fakery no
    Just had a look does say "made in USA" on the back of the headstock, on  another note looks like a nice guitar at £299

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    bertie said:

Scammery yes fakery no
    Just had a look does say "made in USA" on the back of the headstock, on  another note looks like a nice guitar at £299

Wrong guitar. The link to the original listing which has since been pulled was a Chibson with 'Gibson' across the headstock. He has popped as a new seller, but still based in the same city. 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9612
    I didn't see the first one but your first link took me to the "Chinese guitar" which maltingsaudio mentioned. Almost certainly the same seller (and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't anywhere near where he says he is), the new guitar is coyly photographed and described but I bet the original had a fake serial number and an untruthful "Made in the USA" stamp on the back of the headstock.
    edited January 2014

He is in my area and use's around 20 ebay accounts.It looks like he is acting as a broker, his delivery dates are around 3-5 weeks.

Here is another :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Guitar-in-black-Ebony-fingerboard-WITH-CASE-Available-/171220815303?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27dd8e4dc7

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That one says 48hr shipping, and also says "Our 100% The items are MADE IN CHINA" pretty clearly.  I wonder if the G word has been airbrushed off the pic, and there is no rear of headstock serial or USA picture, so that one is a guess (money on it has).

How can you be sure about his location?  I note it says "Services from outside UK" straight after eBay's postage bit.
    It does seem pretty sure that he is a "broker", taking orders and then buying on spec, not sure on this one though.

This does make it a worrying proposition for buying genuine Gibsons second hand, unless you are very careful, there are still lots of clues, but the fakes/replicas will get better.

edited January 2014

How can you be sure about his location?  I note it says "Services from outside UK" straight after eBay's postage bit.
    It does seem pretty sure that he is a "broker", taking orders and then buying on spec, not sure on this one though.

He has similar stuff on Gumtree  with a city telephone number. I asked around and a few of the local musicians have heard about him.

The delivery date on the Ebony Les Paul is 'Estimated between Mon. 17 Feb. and Wed. 5 Mar'