Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yamaha SG2000 1981..testing the waters; pricing advice :) Should it stay or should it go????

What's Hot
gibbygibby Frets: 50
edited February 2017 in Guitar
Hi All, Been thinking about selling "Yammy" recently. Prices seem to be quite high £2k-£2.5+) if you troll Ebay-land..BUT what do you think is a realistic selling price?? I'll need to check the "warehouse" , but I believe this is an '81 or '82 (checked it..it's an 81) and has been used considerably in its time COZ IT SOUNDS and PLAYS AWESOME!!!, BUT it is VERY HEAVY!!! Too heavy for me these days Lot of buckle rash on back, but very few marks elsewhere. Original case and original components; fret heights around 1.1mm. Ebony fingerboard, brass sustain block under bridge. This is the "non-coil tap" version....some more pictures added.

Any Stuart Adamsons(R.I.P) or Carlos Santanas out there, please get in touch.If you have lower back problems, then go for a Yamaha Pacifica

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lovely. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gibbygibby Frets: 50
    It is :)...but blinking heavy :'(
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Like it...Got enough Yams already though.....these do some to get pitched at very high prices, and they are ace guitars, but if you got 2k to spend theres a lot to choose from, other makes I mean..

Yes I would want to get £1500 plus for mine, but then Im not looking to sell,  but I think a real value is nearer 1k - 1.5k tops.

Good news is they are becoming more appealing as time goes by....

GLWS

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4270
    edited February 2017
    If you are looking at Yam SG's on ebay, and trying to establish a benchmark, you need to completely disregard the price on ones listed by that dude who posts ads for 100's of them. I think he is attempting to use the 'illusory truth effect' to convince the world that they are worth the silly amounts he lists them for.

The same chap may have posted some other ludicrously priced guitars on this forum also iirc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Know what you mean .....he does have rather a lot of Yamahas!
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I sold my sg1000 for 750 euros (650 stg approx)there is a black sg 2000 for sale on adverts.ie for euro equivalent of 1200 stg.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    My SG1000s went for £700, the chap on eBay is pretty delusional over his Yamaha prices
    I suppose it's the old saying "a 'guitar' is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"....
  • CloudNine said:

The same chap may have posted some other ludicrously priced guitars on this forum also iirc.
    Yeah, as I remember, when he joined, he was selling a few guitars from his "collection", but was called out as a dealer pretty quickly...and yes, insane prices. :(

His for sale posts on eBay, Gumtree and every other selling platform probably do inflate the average Joe's idea of Yamaha SG's - I agree with @spark240 and co's valuations above. If a potential buyer is patient and lucky, I've seen SG2000's sell for as little as £750, but £1K - £1.5K is more common.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• rashrash Frets: 38
    edited February 2017
    I've sold half a dozen of them for £1200ish  each on ebay over the past few years. Probably could have got a bit more for them if Id have waited longer.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27642
    As this isn't a FS thread, I've moved it to a more appropriate section.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • An SG2000 was the first 'pro-level' guitar I ever played - I'd bought Moonflower and was besotted by Santana - it was in the late 70s.

I never did get to own one - but every time I see one I get a bit giddy....
  • Don't forget it's good for those Stiff Little Fingers riffs as well, Jake Burns plqyed one 'Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Get Away,,,'

• Lovely guitar.  I am looking for one of the "re-issue" ones from the mid 2000's - in Black - so if anyone hears of a mint one let me know! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    An SG2000 was the first 'pro-level' guitar I ever played - I'd bought Moonflower and was besotted by Santana - it was in the late 70s.

I never did get to own one - but every time I see one I get a bit giddy....
    similar taste Richard ref Moonflower and at the time I played it shed loads - I still own my Yam SG from that period - won't be sold  and yes first serious guitars as LP's at that stage were generally mediocre at best - Things have moved on since, like PRS, so whilst I still own it and play it, it is no first choice today
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    edited February 2017
    I have a 1982 SG1000 that I'm selling but without any commitment (I guess I ought to start a correct thread) and it's on Gumtree for £950. I reckon an SG2000 can go for the £1200 ball park... They are great but my SG1000 is a lead balloon although it's a lovely piece of wood! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23013
    I love the look of them and I've wanted one for many, many years (probably since Santana's Moonflower album that @richardhomer mentioned) but I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never own one because they're simply too heavy.

I've contacted the aforementioned chap who sells loads of them on eBay several times about various models, but he's always so vague about things like weights and neck profiles, I've got fed up with asking.

• Based on my admittedly limited experience, I'd agree that the value is somewhere in the £1,000 - £1,500 range.  I also agree that these are bloody great guitars - GLWTS!

Before I bought mine, I spoke to the aforementioned dealer ... but then realised that his prices were, ahem, somewhat "aspirational" and ended up going elsewhere.  He posts now and then on the Facebook owners' group (as "Joey Moorewood").  So does another individual who only ever pops up to recommend the services of "my friend Joey".  Now far be it from me to cast aspersions, but in idle moments I have wondered whether there might be some overlap between the IP addresses used by these two best mates ...
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I agree with everyone else - even in a shop, £1500 max unless it's truly mint with no visible wear or hardware tarnishing at all, which is almost unknown. We sold a really nice SG800 a year or so ago for (I think) £699, which is a real bargain for the quality of the guitar. The SG2000 does command a premium over the lower models - and even over the 3000 usually - due to the celebrity users, but it's still a fairly niche market.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers for all the comments guys...sorry about posting in wrong thread TTony...For me it's all about the "Weight"...I weighed it again yesterday (forgot what it was when I first had it;might have gotten fatter ) and its "only" 10lbs...10.013lbs if you want to be accurate. Personally I think it generates it's own gravity field which make it feel like 15lbs..I'll probably keep it for now, give it a bash at next band rehearsal and see how my back copes with it :/