Crazy Bizarre Moog Minifooger Drive issues

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
So I picked up one of these when they first came out from Juno Music, London and after a few weeks of the best fuzz and drive pedal ever it went pop. Intermittently. Juno replaced it no questions but when they got it back said they could find nothing wrong with it, it was working fine.

The 2nd one they sent worked for about 30 minutes before the led faded and went out only to relight when you first insert the power plug.

Returned and a 3rd one sent out, this one didn't work at all except for the led lighting when you first stick the psu in. Meanwhile the 2nd one i sent back is reported as working fine.

The third on goes back having been completely lifeless in my hands and is again reported as working.

Whilst I had them I tried different psu's from a on spot single output one, my diago supply and a number of batteries - I tried taking it off the board and going hot into the amp, I tried new patch cables, and I tried all of the power supplies with other pedals and they all worked fine.

The moog is centre negative supply and only has a draw of 10ma

It points to my gear somewhere doesn't it!! But where?

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try it on its own?  As in, guitar -> moog -> amp.  Use a known working supply.  

If ti don't work, it's broken!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Did that with all 3

No worky

Send em back

Worky
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Maybe you're not cool enough
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Could be such bad build quality the problems are regular and intermittent, and the stores have just been lucky?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Jon,

It's not you mate, it's the pedals. Bin 'em and get a refund...

• Well despite wazmeisters advice I've just been down to absolute and bought another - it was working in the shop

Let's see what happens when I get home!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm gonna love it if this does end up being some bizarre thing at home. Not for any nefarious reasons, just that it doesn't make any sense?! :D
  • I bet it's a dodgy connector on the power strip.
  • guitargeek62;150498" said:
    I'm gonna love it if this does end up being some bizarre thing at home. Not for any nefarious reasons, just that it doesn't make any sense?! :D
    I want it to all be fine coz I want it for tonight's gig and I don't want to look any more of a dick!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If I had tried three different examples of the same pedal and they all had intermittent faults, you can bet your life there would not be attempt number four. I wouldn't have even got to three.

I know it's a great pedal, but there's a fair few others that get similar tones (and they actually work). I actually think the Red Llama, Box of Rock, Black Forest and Coloursound Overdriver variants all do the best, most usable bits of the Moog drive anyway, or at least something which, at gigging volume, is close enough. Stick a SHO clone in front of an Overdriver and you pretty much have all that and more saturation.

Nothing against the Moogs, but the new line, in my experience, might as well have been made of wattle and daub.
  • IT WORKS!!!!