Price check on 1975 ES-335

robertyroberty Frets: 10893
Hey team, asking for a friend, does this seem a good deal to you?

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/pre-loved-vintage-gibson-es-335-1975-with-hard-case

£2,239 with period Seymour Duncan

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Seems a pretty fair price but I don't generally like modded guitars.  Factory fitted coil-tap is fine but regardless of how good the SD is I'd want it with the original p/up which according to the ad it doesn't have - the worst thing for me is that its an open p/up that for a 335 is just wrong - I'd have thought about it, if it had the same matching cover.  For that reason, if I was in the market for a 335, I wouldn't buy it.  But that's just me - we all have our 'quirks'.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah was thinking that, would be a great price with the original p/u but as it is the price is just okay.  Never mind, he's only gone and bought himself a brand new one today instead, the lucky git.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    I think the price is within the realms of ok - but check fret wear and condition - Slightly baffled by 'with period Seymour Duncan' - with Seymour Duncan ok - but 'period'  - I agree with @Voxman regarding the cosmetics of the pick-up - tonal wise then an opinion not fact
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I wouldn't pay that much for it. The mid/late-seventies was not Gibson's finest hour. Brand owners Norlin were looking to cut every corner to keep the ship afloat and this reflected in the quality of the guitars. As @Voxman says, the open pickups look wrong and being non-original doesn't help the value.

It may be 'vintage' 42 years old but that means zilch. IMO it's not worth anything like that price tag. If the friend is looking at older ES-335s, Gibson quality didn't return to the sixties' standards until mid '81 with the Shaw era guitars.

I'm sure someone will now post here saying their seventies 335 is great but if so they are lucky. Most of them weren't.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    but that is one ugly MoFo and I love 335s
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ...............Never mind, he's only gone and bought himself a brand new one today instead, the lucky git.
    Best thing he could have done :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    roberty said:
    ...............Never mind, he's only gone and bought himself a brand new one today instead, the lucky git.
    Best thing he could have done :)
    probably got a guitar with a better playing performance 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah Norlin innit. Wasn't sure about Norlin semi hollows, but if the consensus is they're dogs...

I've played some really nice LP Deluxe's with pancake bodies
  • roberty said:
    Yeah Norlin innit. Wasn't sure about Norlin semi hollows, but if the consensus is they're dogs...

I've played some really nice LP Deluxe's with pancake bodies
    I've played a Norlin era 335 that was really good (early '70s with the shortened centre-block).

It was really nice and sounded superb. Gibsons of all eras are very variable, so it's a matter of evaluating the individual guitar, really.