Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Online fx reviewers you trust implicitly and those you think are useless ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    They are all good in their own way
    Andy has best musical reportoire
    Mike Hermans is the best musician
    Just Nick is not a great musician but a good reviewer
    Burgs is an Okka Ausie geezer ..wysiwyg
    CURVEBALL .............What do we think of Henning aka Eytsch Pi 42 . ???????????????????
     I quite like him in the way I like Liquorice ......but slurping that fucking great mug of coffee gets on my tits
     Doug and Pat zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  
    Schnobel ...".I don't like bugs and I don't like ugly people "
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2017
    Andy PGS
    Pete Thorn
    Allen Hinds & Paul Jackson Jr on the Xotic stuff
    Burgs is ok
    Andy Timmons does a good job too
    Shawn Tubbs

I like Harry Maes from Bax Music and of late, Doug Rappoport, but he's just playing and there's not much in the way of explanation.

There's a few I don't like but the main one that comes to mind is Tony McKenzie and I can't quite place why I don't like Schnobel even though the detail is there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm clearly the only one who hates Andy PGS and Pete Thorn videos? I don't like their styles and the music they play never appeals to me. I could watch Pete talk gear all day though.

Just Nick bores me to death with his really long intros. 

Andertons gets on my nerves due to the chilish gags. 

I like Dan and Mick but the awkward laughing fits at the end of playing a Metal Zone with gain at 11 tends to wear thin a little.

Rabea is my go to. I find his musical style fascinating and have found we have similar tastes musically and in gear.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    edited February 2017

Rabea is my go to. I find his musical style fascinating and have found we have similar tastes musically and in gear.
    For this purpose, my problem with Bea is that he's so far beyond my playing capabilities (mostly in terms of right-hand technique, which is what most affects the sound IMO) that him playing through a rig will sound too different to me playing through the same rig for a comparison to be useful. He also tends to get a lot of the technical details wrong, which is highly irritating in gear demos.

Totally monster player though - probably one of the best on YouTube - and I still watch all his videos just to hear him play.
    <space for hire>
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited February 2017
    Rob Chapman would lend his name to a bag of shite and do his utmost to convince you that you absolutely need it, in the videos with Lee Anderton he is intolerable and more unbearable than Danish Pete " very unfunny indeed "Honore . I quite enjoy Lee's understated and melodic playing in the Andertons videos only to have them massacred and butchered  by rob Chapman.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    I'm clearly the only one who hates Andy PGS and Pete Thorn videos? I don't like their styles and the music they play never appeals to me. I could watch Pete talk gear all day though.

Just Nick bores me to death with his really long intros.
    Hate's a bit strong, but I don't understand all the love for him, either. To me he's a decent player, but that's about it. Maybe I just don't get it because he doesn't really play styles of music that I tend to like. (That's AndyPGS, I mean, I love Pete Thorn's playing!)

But Nick's voice is so soothing!
  • Knobs that's the channel just watch that one !!!!

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Wouldn't trust anyone on YouTube as far as I can shit.

Demo wise, as long as they're actually using a microphone and avoid the two major pitfalls of 1. Spending the first 10 min of the video giving me an itemised break down of the entire signal chain, from string gauge to speaker cone. - Just put it in the comments ffs.
    2. Boring me to death with their improvised playing.
    - I prefer it when demo guys either, pre-plan a piece of music to play which they think best demonstrates the pedals capabilities, or just stick to some fairly 'dry' (i.e nothing fancy) looped audio samples. "Here's a barrel chord.", "Here's some licks."  etc.

If you're not going to attempt to do anything interesting with the pedal keep it short, sweet and functional.

I do not enjoy being exposed to 5/ 10min plus of stream of consciousness  pentatonic noodlings. Additional points subtracted for playing up and down the fretboard on a single string *cough* Just nick *cough*. 
  • The Rob Chapman product demo technique:

Wear silly hat
    Talk shit
    Play the same rehearsed lines that are in all Chapman videos
    Let Lee Anderton play something tasteful and melodic for a few secs
    Stomp all over it with tasteless shred nonsense
    Pull a silly face
    Talk more shit.

Do you guys see what I see when Chapman is on screen ?
    Do you think Andertons demonstrations would be better without him ?

• I'd agree with the above. Lee would be better off doing it with someone else imo.

I think Chappers see's himself as the 'comedy relief' to Lee's guitar shop salesman pitch *sigh*.
    edited February 2017

I'd agree with the above. Lee would be better off doing it with someone else imo.

I think Chappers see's himself as the 'comedy relief' to Lee's guitar shop salesman pitch *sigh*.
    Where Chapman is sub bobby davro comedy relief, Danish Pete provides the unfunny quips and long awkward silences where nobody laughs, I agree that lee would be much better off doing the vids himself as he comes across as a credible guy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    If you think Chappers / Danish bloke humour is poor ...........have you listened to Henning Eytsch Pi ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    If you think Chappers / Danish bloke humour is poor ...........have you listened to Henning Eytsch Pi ?
    That guy just talks and talks and talks, by the time he plays a note I am unconscious
  • I like a short demo with minimal talking if it's something I have a passing interest in and a longer, detailed explanatory video if it's a potential purchase. Unfortunately, so many of them fall inbetween and are too long winded for casual interest, not detailed enough for clear explanation. The Andertons school of video ( Inc Paradise and to some extent TPS) particularly guilty of this.
    Some of the Mike Herman's ones are the closest to my ideal - you can just watch the first few minutes for a musical over view but keep watching if you want more detail. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've gone right off all the videos. There's too many and they are all too generic and dull. The only guy I think does interesting demos is Dennis kayzer and I quite like pete thorn though prefer the show he does with Tim pierce.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    edited February 2017
    Andy psg makes everything sound good! 
    I find pete thorn pretty informative for my mid-level knowledge of things. 

Rebea is is my go to for things, only seems to review things he actually likes, and it more my style of music. 
    Ruan 'fluff' Bruce would be a good shout too, but He seems to float between endoursements quite a lot which makes me question how much opinion and how much is $$
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    Andy PSG. Always spot-on.
  • The problem with the big demo channels is that they are all just sales pitches, presented with varying degrees of disengunous objectivity. 
    I often find random punters' YouTube reviews far more useful. 
    edited February 2017
    mattdavis said:
    The problem with the big demo channels is that they are all just sales pitches, presented with varying degrees of disengunous objectivity. 
    I often find random punters' YouTube reviews far more useful. 
    Very true, how likely are you to hear rob Chapman say today we have a new made in China amp that looks like it has been thrown together and I'll be surprised if it's still working at the end of the video, yours for just 399 British pounds.

Very unlikely I would guess, more likely to see him raving about it being amazing.