In praise of Laney

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    @Jimbro66 how did you get in touch? I must have sent them half a dozen messages via their website about getting a replacement handle for my L20T and have never had any kind of response. I'd be more impressed with consistent customer service than somewhere on a spectrum between brilliant or non-existent.

I initially got in touch with them through their web site's contact form and they replied by email the following day. I simply asked them how I could order a replacement part and I didn't expect anything FOC. Could it be that your spam filter is blocking their emails or sending them to your junk folder perhaps?

Anyway, I'll PM you with the email adress they used to reply to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I asked them for a manual for my LC15R a few weeks back. Had a nice reply with a Link to a PDF and they also asked I needed them to print it and send it in the post.

Seems like they're offering great customer service to their customers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jimbro66 how did you get in touch? I must have sent them half a dozen messages via their website about getting a replacement handle for my L20T and have never had any kind of response. I'd be more impressed with consistent customer service than somewhere on a spectrum between brilliant or non-existent.

I sent them an email last week asking the very same thing (those leather handles are awful!), and also had no response at all.
  • @Jimbro66 how did you get in touch? I must have sent them half a dozen messages via their website about getting a replacement handle for my L20T and have never had any kind of response. I'd be more impressed with consistent customer service than somewhere on a spectrum between brilliant or non-existent.

I sent them an email last week asking the very same thing (those leather handles are awful!), and also had no response at all.
    I emailed them again yesterday. Maybe this time...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Huh.

Good news: received an actual reply!

Bad news: No free parts for me. Mr Man says they're £12.99 (inc. P&P), which is pretty reasonable.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    @Jimbro66 how did you get in touch? I must have sent them half a dozen messages via their website about getting a replacement handle for my L20T and have never had any kind of response. I'd be more impressed with consistent customer service than somewhere on a spectrum between brilliant or non-existent.

Huh.

Bad news: No free parts for me. Mr Man says they're £12.99 (inc. P&P), which is pretty reasonable.
    Glad it worked out for you this time and the cost seems pretty reasonable really. I didn't want anything as grand as a handle.

Perhaps @MattBanshee might now be encouraged to try again?
  • Jimbro66 said:

Huh.

Glad it worked out for you this time and the cost seems pretty reasonable really. I didn't want anything as grand as a handle.

Perhaps @MattBanshee might now be encouraged to try again?
    Great news, I shall give that another go!

@english_bob - are you fitting the replacement handle yourself?
  • Great news, I shall give that another go!

Yes. I'm assuming all I need to do is remove the screws that attach the little heat vents that the handle anchors to, then replace the old manky handle with the nice new one and put everything back together again.

Image result for laney lionheart top view

Yes. I'm assuming all I need to do is remove the screws that attach the little heat vents that the handle anchors to, then replace the old manky handle with the nice new one and put everything back together again.

Cool, let me know how you get on?

Correct. Have done it a couple of times. 

If anyone comes across some black handles with those rings on them, I'd be interested to get a link. I found a nice one on ebay once and it was much better built than the stock laney handle. Have since aold that amp and can't find the handle for sale anywhere.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017

If anyone comes across some black handles with those rings on them, I'd be interested to get a link. I found a nice one on ebay once and it was much better built than the stock laney handle. Have since aold that amp and can't find the handle for sale anywhere.
    unscrew it & take it to your local cobblers (decent, not cheapo chain) & they should be able to make you a lovely identical leather strap using the one you already have as a pattern.
    they do it for leather handbags all the time. i keep my fav bags going for years that way.
    & it will smell of fresh sweet leather which is a bonus if you are a perv.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @vale cracking idea, mate. Nice one!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2017
    @vale ;The handle on my Laney GS12VE cab could do with replacing. Think I'm going to look into your suggestion...brilliant idea.  Any thoughts on what they'd charge? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    Voxman said:
    @vale The handle on my Laney GS12VE cab could do with replacing. Think I'm going to look into your suggestion...brilliant idea.  Any thoughts on what they'd charge? 

tack shops (equestrian) that make & repair do it too, if you are out in the sticks.

no idea about prices as i've only ever done bags (£5-10). i would imagine about the same as bags as same basic thing. variation depending on how up for it the cobbler/saddlemaker is & where you live (posh area more).

if you have the D rings & reinforcer tube for inside & original handle they can copy that will make it easy for them.

i'm into cobblers. partly because i'm poor so have to make stuff last, partly because it's nice (& eco) to keep something i like going rather than replace (& i hate shopping).
    but also because i just like that old school thing about it. the craft & the attention to detail. a roman cobbler & a quality now cobbler basically do the same thing. there's an art to it worth keeping going.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/07/fashionable-2000-year-old-roman-shoe-found-in-a-well.html
    https://cdn8.openculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/14212432/roman-shoe-e1468556686212.jpg

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...