New EHX '9' pedal. Synth 9

What's Hot
handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Seems a bit more niche than the others. I just wish ehx stuff was better built and more reliable. I'd love to use some of their stuff but i just don't trust it based on past experiences. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I want to like that, but it sounds awful

...and they butchered Blue Monday - unforgivable
    Stop crying, start buying
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    I'm disappointed by it - it clearly doesn't track well, as Bill's timing is *well off* in a few places.

What is that last track supposed to be - its bugging me?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Some Rick Wakeman thing? I thought the Autobahn section was quite endearing, but overall I didn't think the sounds were really all that good. And it would be useful to have an input for an expression pedal for filter sweeping - I don't think they mentioned anything like that

• I really want to like that but that demo sounds pants :-(
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Agreed, doesn't sound that great, seems laggy and reminds me of the boss synth pedal.
  • The other 9 pedals sound great and I expected this to sound in the same vein but...it's just not quite there. The lack of controls (only 2) is poor and the sounds are weird. They've gone from the Canyon to this, and it's definitely a downgrade.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I'm surprised EHX have allowed that video to go out as is, it sounds desperately poor. The Mel9 demo was fantastic.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Surprised at all the positive YouTube comments accompanying the video - it really is not all that spectacular. Quite a dip from the quality of the Mel9.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    It's all a bit meh
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    I so wanted this to blow me socks off and be a smaller well sorted replacement for my big box Microsynth. I liked a couple of those examples but just not enough to knock the big old unpredictable, fat squelchy bastard off the board.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Well that's 11 minutes off my life I won't be getting back.

Great idea for a pedal but some of the sounds are a little to fake / cheesy for me. Does have some interesting sounds but nothing a decent fuzz / octave combination cant really do.

Guitar playing isn't synth playing, they are different beasts. Maybe a different  demo would show it off better.

For the cost I'd recommend just buying a cheap synth of ebay and getting some good sounds from that. Can't see my bass microsynth getting moved on.q
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    TBH, if Bill Ruppert can't make this sound reasonable its fair to assume that its shocking.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited February 2017
    make it stop

gimmick after gimmick after gimmick
  • I quite like it! 

But then again, I like all sorts of crap.

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds very laggy and always on the verge of barfing out. On the other hand some of the pads sounded pretty useable so it'll probably be quite nice as long you accept it's limitations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    That's the thing - limitations. Just not enough control over those sounds.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited February 2017
    I commend ehx for thinking a little outside the box with their pedals, but as smeone mentioned their quality control is a little bit lacklustre. I always felt with EHX pedals on my board that I was going to accidentally smash them to pieces when pressing the switches. They may as well enclose the circuits in shoe boxes.
  • I'm not blown away by the demo video but I thought the mel9 sounded shite on YouTube videos, tried one for a laugh and loved it. I'm holding out on bashing it based on one video until I've had a chance to play with one and hear it with my real life ears.