Martin dreads - D28, HD28 or HD28V?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27135
edited February 2017 in Acoustics
Question time! 

I'm having a big rethink and looking at getting rid of all the gear I don't absolutely adore, and focus on stuff that makes my want to pick it up every time I walk past it. Unfortunately I think that might include swapping my Dove for a Martin (sorry, @ICBM !). It's a fantastic guitar but I'm finding it's just a little bit hi-fi, and the neck profile just isn't quite perfectly comfy. I'm 100% certain I want a Martin D28-alike, which means these 3 are top of the list.

I've played a D28 and HD28 and honestly I'd prefer the HD by a fraction, but that's as much about aesthetics as it is sound. I know I don't like the D18 tone so much, so that's out. I guess also a Collins D2H might be on the list but I've never tried one so not sure about neck profiles and the sharp-cornered headstock is a bit shitty. But I've only ever heard great things about the brand. 

I'd be quite likely buying blind as I'm still in the UAE and we only have one dealer here with limited stock. Also, used pricing would probably be required for either of the HDs or a Collings! Is there anything else I need to think about? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited February 2017
    An HD28 and D2H are very different sounding beasts and liking the Martin is far from a reliable indicator that you'd like the Collings. Don't make that call on paper/spec/materials/YouTube ...I'm a Collings fanboy but if I wanted the Martin rosewood dread sound I wouldn't choose one.
  • Lewy said:
    An HD28 and D2H are very different sounding beasts and liking the Martin is far from a reliable indicator that you'd like the Collings. Don't make that call on paper/spec/materials/YouTube ...I'm a Collings fanboy but if I wanted the Martin rosewood dread sound I wouldn't choose one.
    Thanks - that pretty much knocks that on the head then! Excellent!
  • You might want to consider buying an older one.

I played a '73 D35 at the weekend and have a new benchmark for the best sounding Martin-style Dread I've played (a couple of Santa Cruz's were in top spot previously). I know it's not from the 'right' decade - but it was unbelievable. And about £1400....

I've never played a Collings I've liked FWIW.
  • Having now watched some Collings vids that is exactly what I don't want - the Dove does that slightly more hifi thing in just the same way. It's really nice for a strummy context but not that classic D28 thing. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    The HD28V is different from the other two as it has the "forward shifted" pre-war style bracing.  To my ears it's a much better sounding guitar - which is probably why I bought one. :)
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I've just replaced my hd28v with a goodall, but the 28v was a super guitar.far superior to any d/hd 28 I've played.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I love collings too, but if they are not for you, check out santa cruz.beautiful guitars.
  • @crunchman @woody I had a feeling at least one person would scream "28V". Trouble is they're into "hmm, REALLY expensive" rather than the more manageable "yeah, I could basically swap the Dove for that" cost bracket that the D/HD fit into.

Am I right in thinking the 28V is again a little more "hifi" than a regular d28? That would probably count against it for me right now. 

There's an HD28 for sale on the far side of Dubai. Bit of a pain to go see it but would be good to get an idea. 
    For me the 28V is much more dynamic, and sounds sweeter.  It can do the chunky Martin Dread low end, but it is much more dynamic and sweeter when played more gently. The top end is a bit more open sounding as well - although I'm not sure that's quite the right word.

28Vs can vary a bit as well.  I've played a couple that were absolute cannons acoustically, but mine doesn't have that feel to it, but it's much more balanced sounding than most dreads.  All the 28Vs I've played have been a big step up from the regular 28, and HD28.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money I'd look at a Furch rather than one of the cheaper Martins.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited February 2017
    crunchman said:
    For me the 28V is much more dynamic, and sounds sweeter.  It can do the chunky Martin Dread low end, but it is much more dynamic and sweeter when played more gently. The top end is a bit more open sounding as well - although I'm not sure that's quite the right word.

28Vs can vary a bit as well.  I've played a couple that were absolute cannons acoustically, but mine doesn't have that feel to it, but it's much more balanced sounding than most dreads.
    ^ This describes my HD28V pretty accurately, the neck does have a fairly pronounced V though which might put some people off.
  • Right, having watched a lot of videos, I reckon the HD28 hits the tone I'm after square in the middle. Will see if I can try this Dubai one..
    crunchman said:

28Vs can vary a bit as well.  I've played a couple that were absolute cannons acoustically, but mine doesn't have that feel to it, but it's much more balanced sounding than most dreads.
    ^ This describes my HD28V pretty accurately, the neck does have a fairly pronounced V though which might put some people off.
    I like the V.

I'm wondering about getting an electric with a soft V as well.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Question time!
    I'd be quite likely buying blind as I'm still in the UAE and we only have one dealer here with limited stock. Also, used pricing would probably be required for either of the HDs or a Collings! Is there anything else I need to think about? 
    cant help since u'r not gonna be able to play them - I'm doubly 'blind'.
    Not the way I'd go about it SF - with all the subtle differences in these model's add to that U'r personal preferences - Hmm, spending that kinda money I need to caress her <3.
    There's a ton of great guitars out there if u've a few grand to spend - I'd hand off till I could make a hands on judgment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom