Any love for the Marshall jcm800 2205/2210 ??!

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
i know the 2203/2204's are the most talked about and most desirable , but I'm sure there's plenty of 2210's and 2205's out there !

i've just borrowed a 2210 2x12 combo. It's all original with g12t75's . I haven't had a chance to play it at proper volume yet . 

I just wondered what you guys think of the split channel jcm800's
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited February 2017
    Ive got a '78 2204 & an '86 2210  ;  Ilike them both - suggest you look at some of Johans videos for comparisons 
    The clean channel adds a little versatlity - though its no twin and the fx loop is poor ; schenker used / uses 2205

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited February 2017

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    It's also worth remembering that there are three versions of the 2205/2210 circuit, the first one quite different from the later two which are more similar. They all look identical from the outside so you need to go by the serial number to date them, or by working out which circuit it is from the position of the FX loop relative to the master volume.

Essentially the first version is fatter-sounding and has much less gain than the second and third, and it's quite odd to use at first because most of the gain and volume kicks in from 8 to 10 on the controls, so it can seem like they're not working right if you set them below that…. but they're actually louder than the later ones when fully cranked.

None of them have the classic JMP/JCM800 2203/4 sound either, even on the dirty channel. The clean channel is OK at best, the dirty is better but still not great, in my opinion - quite a dated sound, ironically more so than the older amps - unless you can run them loud enough that the power stage overdrives as well and masks the preamp sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The guitarist in my old band had a split channel I think and it sounded great to me. Tom Morello and Michael Schenker also used them iirc and they both have pretty decent tone imo. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    I had one and quite liked it . Schenker and John Norum use them still (fans of both so thats why I probably bought one)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!