NGD ( very Gretsch, somewhat orange )

What's Hot
This came home with me on a one of those no plans shopping days this week. Wasn't thinking about buying another guitar but it seemed to make sense. I struggle to resist an orange Gretsch 6120 a the best of times and for a S/H guitar in such good condition it was one of those " why not ?" impulse buys. Was set up way too light in store (why is that with so many used Gretsch guitars ?, some guitars need to be driven by heavier strings ). Some 11.s fitted, a bit of work on dirty switches etc, and a good set up and its good to go. Had a track to work on today which fit in with some Gretsch tones so threw it in, sounded and played great. A typical idiosyncratic 6120 but great fun. 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7863
    Awesome guitar!  Has the Bigsby been swapped over?
    what year is it?  I'm going to guess late 90's- early 2000's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited February 2017
    It's a 2003 , the Bigsby is the original for this model. Apparently it's supposed to be a 1960 reissue , but is more like a 59  as far as I can tell , apart from the tressle bracing, which doesn't bother me at all. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    Lovely guitar.Congrats.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    I personally think these Pre Fender Gretsch models will slowly  up in value.  I'm after a 99 Setzer Hot Rod. I think they increase in value over the next ten years or so.  Plus, they look cool!

i didn't think they reintroduced Trestle Bracing until 2004.  

How do you like the zero fret? I'm a fan, but some can't seem to get in with them. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    Love it. 
  • TheMarlin said:
    I personally think these Pre Fender Gretsch models will slowly  up in value.  I'm after a 99 Setzer Hot Rod. I think they increase in value over the next ten years or so.  Plus, they look cool!

How do you like the zero fret? I'm a fan, but some can't seem to get in with them. 

They are very cool guitars from that era and are very well made. A bit of a mix of features (i.e. 59 ish but without trestle bracing ) . The zero nut works really well as far as I'm concerned. It makes for a very easy set up for optimum playability and means that there's less hassle with the nut slots. TBH it's easy to forget about the zero fret once you start playing,These pre FMIC guitars are great and well worth looking for. Some people give the Filtertrons from this era a bad rap, but they sound good to me. I may end up putting a set of TV Jones in there, but I'm very happy with guitar as it stands. Gretsch guitars are a lot of fun to play down to their quirks and foibles, nothing else quite like them. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Lovely ! B)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    Beautiful colour, enjoy!
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Oh I do love a nice Gretsch - congrats!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Congratulations n I hope you enjoy it. 

edited February 2017
    artiebear said:
    TheMarlin said:

They are very cool guitars from that era and are very well made. A bit of a mix of features (i.e. 59 ish but without trestle bracing ) . The zero nut works really well as far as I'm concerned. It makes for a very easy set up for optimum playability and means that there's less hassle with the nut slots. TBH it's easy to forget about the zero fret once you start playing,These pre FMIC guitars are great and well worth looking for. Some people give the Filtertrons from this era a bad rap, but they sound good to me. I may end up putting a set of TV Jones in there, but I'm very happy with guitar as it stands. Gretsch guitars are a lot of fun to play down to their quirks and foibles, nothing else quite like them. 
    If you play clean 100% of the time, then you can't beat TV classics for the chime and sparkle they offer. 
    Hower, if you regularly play with any amount of dirt in your signal, the Filtertrons you have will sound better (IMHO).  
    I've tried almost all the TV Jones pickup models.  I play on the edge of breakup as my clean tone.  Pick lightly = clean, dig in = dirt.  In that situation, give me regular Filtertrons over TV Jones any day. 
    Don't get me wrong, TV Jones are great pickups, but you only hear the difference if you play clean. 
    With dirt, TV Classics chime can add a touch of mud, which isn't present on these Filtertrons. 

Do make sure your Filtertrons are set up properly, they are incredibly sensitive to height adjustment.  

http://www.tvjones.com/adjustments.html

When setup right, they have a bit of attitude.  Love those pickups :)
  • TheMarlin said:
    artiebear said:
    TheMarlin said:

If you play clean 100% of the time, then you can't beat TV classics for the chime and sparkle they offer. 
    Hower, if you regularly play with any amount of dirt in your signal, the Filtertrons you have will sound better (IMHO).  
    I've tried almost all the TV Jones pickup models.  I play on the edge of breakup as my clean tone.  Pick lightly = clean, dig in = dirt.  In that situation, give me regular Filtertrons over TV Jones any day. 
    Don't get me wrong, TV Jones are great pickups, but you only hear the difference if you play clean. 
    With dirt, TV Classics chime can add a touch of mud, which isn't present on these Filtertrons. 

Do make sure your Filtertrons are set up properly, they are incredibly sensitive to height adjustment.  

http://www.tvjones.com/adjustments.html

When setup right, they have a bit of attitude.  Love those pickups :)
    Great advice @themarlin .  A bit like good P90's, only more so, there is a huge range travel in and out of the sweet spot.There is something majestic about a big fat clean Gretsch tone, but I do love the way filtertrons and a big hollow body respond to gain. 
  • Looks like a lovely guitar mate...

I only 'discovered' Grestch last year, and was amazed at the playability of them. I purchased a Players Edition (with all the mods) Black Falcon and I truly love it :)

Enjoy mate...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like a lovely guitar mate...

I only 'discovered' Grestch last year, and was amazed at the playability of them. I purchased a Players Edition (with all the mods) Black Falcon and I truly love it :)

Enjoy mate...
    a black falcon.....lovely !
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Very nice