Roland AC 33 v Roland AC 40 plus looper v Marshalll AS50D plus looper

magsmags Frets: 0
I'm looking to buy a small acoustic amp to play at home and perhaps small venues.  I've been looking at the Marshall AS50D, Roland AC 33 and Roland AC 40.  I know that the AC33 comes with a looper, which initially was an attraction ( not to mention its a fraction of the size of the Marshall).  I'm keen to give looping a go but wondered if I would get a better result with either the AC40 or the Marshall using a separate looping pedal.  Amp is for Taylor 514CE, GS Mini and a ukulele.  Also open to suggestions of any other amps to a max of £350 with 2 channels with separate controls.  Thanks Guys.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    edited February 2017
    I don't know about the amps you have listed but I'm thinking about putting my Trace Acoustic ta30cr up for sale. It's small (but quite heavy) and has 2 channels and would come in well under your budget. Let me know if you're interested...
  • magsmags Frets: 0
    Thanks.  Don't know anything about Trace amps I'm afraid and will probably head into music shop initially to try out the ones I I mentioned I was looking at but will do my research in the meantime re Trace.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    My dad uses the 50w Marshall and really likes it. I had a Fishman Loudbox Artist for a while and that did the job too.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2017
    I went with a friend to Coda Music where he tried a number of amps and settled on a Roland AC40. It sounded really lovely. I think an amp and a separate looper would be the way to go. Loopers on amps tend to be limited. A decent looper pedal will have far more options for recording, overdubbing, reversing a loop etc than an inbuilt looper in the amp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I've been using an ashDown radiator 1 for the 6 or 7 years. It's great.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I use my taylor 414 with Roland Ac60 and boss Rc300 looper

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • magsmags Frets: 0
    Thanks for all your info Guys.  I I'll eventually go for the Roland AC40 but for the meantime I've spent my money on a 2nd hand Laney AH100 which I got for £70 and blew the rest on a Boss RC3 looper which is amazing.  Your advice is much appreciated.