Please help! Suggestions for jcm800ish amp with a solo boost please !

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
the choice is bewildering and I still can't seem to see the wood from the trees !

im looking for a simple , reliable valve head. I'd like its core sound to be similar to a boosted jcm800 , but I'd like it to sound good plugged straight in (jcm800's need a boost I always think ), I can turn it up past 2 ,  and it needs to have some kind of solo boost .

no budget in mind , just want the right amp . 

Please help !
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Marshall Jubilee or Mini Jubilee.  Sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I think you need your own subforum at this rate.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A Brunetti Pleximan should fit the bill - Or my now standard answer to everything - A Helix :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would have thought the Mesa Stiletto Ace combo in the classifieds would fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/96355/fs-ft-mesa-stiletto-ace-combo#latest
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited February 2017
    the choice is bewildering and I still can't seem to see the wood from the trees !

im looking for a simple , reliable valve head. I'd like its core sound to be similar to a boosted jcm800 , but I'd like it to sound good plugged straight in (jcm800's need a boost I always think ), I can turn it up past 2 ,  and it needs to have some kind of solo boost .

no budget in mind , just want the right amp . 

Please help !
    Which players sound is nearest to what you're looking for ? 

Surely Friedman have something - or get a jcm800 modded - ? 
    JMP220478 said:

Surely Friedman have something - or get a jcm800 modded - ? 
    Good call on the Friedman - a Modded JCM would be cheaper and cooler though :)
  • Have you tried the Dejavous? I'm experiencing it now........
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you can find one, the Cornford MK50 is a must-try.  Switchable boost and very Marshall-esque preamp (33uF caps rather than 22s, but near enough).
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    At this point I'm just going to say....

Helix.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Probably mentioned it before but for a less boutique option the Laney GH/VH series are pretty close, just missing that special marshall mojo. I'd sum it up something like, if a Marshall roars and snarls then a Laney grunts and growls. If that means anything haha. Maybe with good use of an eq in the loop you could get either sound from both, I need to experiment with mine more.

The VH or older VC50 combo would probably be best for you.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    JCM 800 reissue with the loop. 

Absolute no brainer. 
  • Nerine said:

Absolute no brainer. 
    He doesn't like the tone running a boost in the loop. 
  • Just as a point of interest I think that EVH 5153 100 near you went for £550 in the end........
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited February 2017
    Jet City 50 @digitalscream ;
    tell him. 
    Nerine said:

Absolute no brainer. 
    He doesn't like the tone running a boost in the loop. 
    Passive cut in the loop
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I've not been playing my MJW head since I got my PRRI. It's 22watts, footswitch solo boost and really does sound like either a JMP or, if you switch in the additional gain stage, a JCM800. It sounds as good as any Marshall I've owned. If you're up in Edinburgh you could give it a try. @ICBM and @ thomasross20 have both heard the amp. It's a one off, but sounds amazing. These days I can't see me playing anything else than the PRRI despite the MJW being one of the best amps I ever owned over 40 years of playing. Hadn't planned to sell and you'd need to try it first. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    camf said:
    I've not been playing my MJW head since I got my PRRI. It's 22watts, footswitch solo boost and really does sound like either a JMP or, if you switch in the additional gain stage, a JCM800. It sounds as good as any Marshall I've owned. If you're up in Edinburgh you could give it a try. @ICBM and @ thomasross20 have both heard the amp. It's a one off, but sounds amazing. These days I can't see me playing anything else than the PRRI despite the MJW being one of the best amps I ever owned over 40 years of playing. Hadn't planned to sell and you'd need to try it first. 
    If relatively low power is OK, I would definitely think about this. It's a great little amp, essentially a JMP/JCM800 preamp with a switchable boost, into an AC30 power amp with power scaling.

Also of course has standard MJW build quality so it's immune from my usual criticism of every other amp you've considered :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Just as a point of interest I think that EVH 5153 100 near you went for £550 in the end........
    Another went on ebay for just shy of £500. Same week. Current ebayers are being somewhat hopefull.
  • if you have a decent loop in an 800 there's no way you can hear the difference in tone. And a totally transparent volume boost from an EQ is the best solution - but i've said this about 40 times at this point 

• It honestly didn't work for me ! I tried N Mxr 10 band eq and a couple of boost pedals .