Fender Blues Junior - Greg Koch

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited February 2017 in Amps
There is a recorded Live hour long Greg Koch on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155154114094009&id=172977589008&refid=46&__xt__=12.{"click_type":"result","module_id":80,"result_id":"172977589008:10155154114094009","sid":"106564681","browse_result_type":"browse_type_story","module_role":"PUBLIC_POSTS","module_result_position":0,"result_creation_time":1487786316}&__tn__=*s

Playing through a Fender Blues Junior.

Sounds incredible with a les paul and guitar volume

I read some reviews and it does get a 50/50 vote. To me it sounds awesome.

Whats everyones views? Whats it like at band level? Cleans up well with volume by watching this. But this is at home what about playing with a band?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2017
    Can't find the session you're referring to.  A direct link would be better rather than face-book page if you have one.  But Greg Koch could play a £100 guitar through a cheap practice amp & still sound terrific!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    There is a bad smell in my workshop today. A sort of nasty acrid smoky smell which from experience is usually from a very badly charred PCB. Not coincidentally there is also a Blues Junior in there...

Fender's worst modern amp? Not sure, and to be fair they have made quite a lot of them, but this is not exactly the first one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• haha 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    There is a bad smell in my workshop today. A sort of nasty acrid smoky smell which from experience is usually from a very badly charred PCB. Not coincidentally there is also a Blues Junior in there...

Fender's worst modern amp? Not sure, and to be fair they have made quite a lot of them, but this is not exactly the first one.
    Sure you didn't burn your toast? ;)
    Bridgehouse said:

Sure you didn't burn your toast? ;)
    If my toast smelled like that I'd be seriously worried about what they're putting in the bread these days :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • basically the amp sounds good.... for 5 minutes then it smells like burnt toast. He has probably got a few of these. two of which are always at the techs home :)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    basically the amp sounds good.... for 5 minutes then it smells like burnt toast. He has probably got a few of these. two of which are always at the techs home :)

It sounds good for 5 mins?

I call fake.

;)
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    edited February 2017
    I own a Blues Junior (with a C Rex speaker which makes it rather different to stock - also a few cap changes)  and I wouldn't recommend it as an amp to anyone. It has served me well with a band (live and rehearsal) the last couple of years and it's not a wholly bad amp, it's OK  but it's not great. One fundamental problem I think is that the cab is just too small. I am not in a band at the moment but if I was I would be looking to change it. Better used options in a similar price range I now realise. For similar wattage I would be trying a used Princeton reverb with a 12, DRRI or maybe even a Lionheart 20. Not sure what would suit exactly but those are on my amps-to-try list.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    edited February 2017
    I watched that the other day and I'm pretty sure he was playing a pro junior not a blues junior FWIW. Although he makes anything sound amazing, he did say he loved that combo and had used it more than once for recording (and one of his favorite amps of all time).
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Blues junior can be a marmite amp. It's by far our best selling amp so I can only assume lots of people like marmite....

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    MattFGBI said:

It's by far our best selling amp
    As you know this completely baffles me. 

Even accounting for taste regarding the sound, it's poor value for money as well as being significantly less well-made and reliable compared to your other amps, especially the Hotrod Deluxe (which I actually thought was the bigger seller). It's now over £500 new, which is ridiculous for what it is.

To be fair the same is true of Peavey and the Classic 30, which is probably their worst amp but seems unaccountably popular.

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Just confirming he is playing a Pro Junior. He makes it clear it is NOT a blues junior.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Exorcist said:
    Just confirming he is playing a Pro Junior. He makes it clear it is NOT a blues junior.
    That would make sense!  I just couldn't envisage why Greg Koch would be using a Blues Junior. Without doubt, one of the most dreadful amps I've ever played. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Whoops got the completely wrong.the pro junior it is! One volume and one tone!

what are these like? 8" speaker I guess boxy?
    Whoops got the completely wrong.the pro junior it is! One volume and one tone!

10" speaker and far less boxy than the Blues Junior with it's 12". Just a much better amp.

• Oh how I love a pro junior. 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    ICBM said:
    Whoops got the completely wrong.the pro junior it is! One volume and one tone!

10" speaker and far less boxy than the Blues Junior with it's 12". Just a much better amp.
    @ICMB I'm sure we have been here before recently with regards this bewilderingly popular amp. The Pro Junior doesn't get the same love but it's far better.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited February 2017
    What are like in a band setting? Can it compete with a drummer I guess clean headroom is an issue? Reliable? 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited February 2017
    Less boxy than the blues jr? Better cabinet? Is there a year or particular model to look out for?  There USA made from some years ago? Are the ones to go for or the newer editions