Best luthier for a paint chip repair

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
I have a small chip out of the edge of my PRS STD 22. Is there someone that can be recommended to repair it?

Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Has it actually taken away paint or is is just a lacquer chip?
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    It's about 7 x 3mm and down to the wood. I was thinking of contacting the guys that do chip repairs for cars. I have seen their work and can't see a difference if it's a car or a guitar. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    And what colour is the guitar?

I recently did some drop-filling with super glue myself on a black bass, and it's come out superbly.

It's really not that difficult a fix, it's just a case of getting a good colour match, which can be more of an issue depending on the colour of the guitar.
    I have looked at some vids on YouTube and it looks quite straightforward but I was just wondering if there was someone out there that could give a guaranteed result. The guitar is a very dark purple almost black. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    what colour?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    If I had a purple guitar I'd be tempted to have it refinished in a compltely different colour. Any colour but purple. :)
  • I would find a nail polish the same shade and drop fill it. If it still bothers you after a month, get a pro job done. 
  • I would find a nail polish the same shade and drop fill it. If it still bothers you after a month, get a pro job done. 

I did this with the chip in the back of my Wolfgang Body. Black nail varnish, I'll get it done properly next time it goes for a fret dress.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I'm not one to stereotype - but given your occupation you should be a dab hand at filling...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Iamnobody said:
    I'm not one to stereotype - but given your occupation you should be a dab hand at filling...
    Harsh!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5672

Clive Burnage from Unsung Hero Guitars in Great Torrington is your chap.  I've not had work done personally (yet) but I have seen his work and he is amazing.  Good prices too from the quotes I've had.

He is usually very busy so expect to wait a few weeks to book in.

HTH

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• I got good results this weekend filling a chip with black auto paint from Halfords. The tube either has a brush or a tiny nib you can squeeze paint out of in small measures. Took a few layers but the nib worked a treat.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Sassafras said:
    If I had a purple guitar I'd be tempted to have it refinished in a compltely different colour. Any colour but purple. :)
    LoL. This is a colour that's to all intents and purposes, black. If you hold it in the sunlight you can just see the burgundy colour. 
    Iamnobody said:
    Eh???
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Wolfetone said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Eh???
    Sorry! Just a cheap dentist joke - don't worry. 

Good luck. I'm sure when the repair is done you can play a few scales and polish it...

Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Not a fan of the relic look then?
    Iamnobody said:no 
    Wolfetone said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Eh???
    Sorry! Just a cheap dentist joke - don't worry. 

Good luck. I'm sure when the repair is done you can play a few scales and polish it...

Very good. My