THE GUITAR SHOW - comments time

What's Hot

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    What about the idea of Dan + Mick from The Pedal Show as a 'demo slot' with questions and answers - Believe the Q+A session this year went well

Just a thought regarding noise - but why not run 40 mins noise and 20 mins quiet every hour - granted noise can be controlled/policed by many exhibitors as well during the 'noise period'
    I've asked them many times, they don't seem to want to do it.

The noise issue is different for each exhibitor Mark, for you (not selling amps) headphones is not an issue, a Collings will feel great in the hand. If you are selling a valve amp and you only get 2/3 of a day when you can show your product it starts getting all why bother. I know this through experience.

You saw the info I emailed last week and then put on each stand, headphones where possible is preferred.

What constantly surprises me, both exhibitors and visitors can't get their heads around is that there is no point in aiming an amp at your ankles, my ears are 6ft above that. Its like no one has ever played through an amp before...

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I found the best time to try any guitars was through headphones during the quiet time. In fact I'd suggest for guitar demos, you make it mandatory to play through headphones (so you'd need an amp that has that feature but it's not difficult)? Then if acoustics are in a different section, the only noise you're battling is that from amplifiers. It's really the amps and how to tame them..
    but valve amps don't have headphone sockets, everyone (well, almost everyone) wants a valve amp....
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    What about the idea of Dan + Mick from The Pedal Show as a 'demo slot' with questions and answers - Believe the Q+A session this year went well

Just a thought regarding noise - but why not run 40 mins noise and 20 mins quiet every hour - granted noise can be controlled/policed by many exhibitors as well during the 'noise period'
    A wealth of knowledge in our trade to add to potential seminars - Repairs session with the likes of Rob Williams and Feline - Guitar changes in the industry over the last 20 years or so with Chris Vinnecombe (Guitar and bass editor) - sure there are plenty more
    I know! That's why I did it, but I had to see if it worked first, putting on 3 or 4 poorly attended ones would have been awful for everyone
    tFB Trader
    FWIW the comic con has priority tickets - if you pay another fiver or so you can get in from 9am, normal ticket holders from 11am. It also shuts at 5pm . I guess that's a bit more pressure on stall holders but good for anyone with a specific agenda.

I am going to look at it, I just need to figure out how many will buy, imagine the embarrassment of only having 20 people for the first hour, I'd be lynched

Plus, given that people didn't see 4 x 6ft banners saying Acoustic Hall upstairs, how many will just turn up at 9 anyway, then moan when I say, well you can come in, but its extra

I'd be answering questions at 1am again :)
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Jason said:

g) I'll look at some sort of guide you can pick up and keep
    Which - of course - we will have available here for people to download & print and plan their tours in advance
    ;)
    Ok, we will do that, please bear in mind that companies cancel for a variety of reasons just up to the last minute, so its never 100% accurate, more like only ever 95%
  • Jason said:
    FWIW the comic con has priority tickets - if you pay another fiver or so you can get in from 9am, normal ticket holders from 11am. It also shuts at 5pm . I guess that's a bit more pressure on stall holders but good for anyone with a specific agenda.

I am going to look at it, I just need to figure out how many will buy, imagine the embarrassment of only having 20 people for the first hour, I'd be lynched

Plus, given that people didn't see 4 x 6ft banners saying Acoustic Hall upstairs, how many will just turn up at 9 anyway, then moan when I say, well you can come in, but its extra

I'd be answering questions at 1am again :)
    I guess if that slot is for trade, press and keen buyers then it could be a productive time. Downside is that Saturday lunchtime already seems to be peak time so it might make  that even more of a squash. At comic con the thought process seems to be 'I'll get there to go straight in at 11, I bet nobody else will have thought of that' which means there is a massive queue by about 10:30 which takes until about 11:30 to process after which you could just walk straight in.
    Hard to win!

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It's a classic case of you can't please all of the people all of the time - overall it was a great show. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'd love to have gone but it was a mad busy week at work and I jut couldn't face the 180 mile round trip in the car come the weekend. London shows are much better for me, although I can understand why it was half way up the country.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Jason. It was a good show, and an improvement on last year. Key things from my point of view, both as a visitor, and as an exhibitor on theFretBoard stand:
    1. Real coffee would be a bonus. Surely someone would be prepared to run this for you, either in the foyer or the car park?
    2. Breakfast. The caterer didn't start serving until 11:00(?). I understand about having curry kept hot for too long. Samosas from opening time would have been good, or a breakfast van in the car park.
    3. Noise. I understand that you can't demo a valve amp without turning it up. Trouble is that most other stalls can't converse with the customer when you do. A lot of the guitar demoing wasn't actually demoing, it was someone incessantly running over fingering patterns. How about constraining guitar and pedal demoing to headphones only, and putting the big amps in another room? 
    4. Early entry tickets is a good idea. Would making these advance purchase only bring any other benefits?
    5. Curry was excellent, and incredibly cheap. Don't change it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Jason. It was a good show, and an improvement on last year. Key things from my point of view, both as a visitor, and as an exhibitor on theFretBoard stand:
    1. Real coffee would be a bonus. Surely someone would be prepared to run this for you, either in the foyer or the car park?
    2. Breakfast. The caterer didn't start serving until 11:00(?). I understand about having curry kept hot for too long. Samosas from opening time would have been good, or a breakfast van in the car park.
    3. Noise. I understand that you can't demo a valve amp without turning it up. Trouble is that most other stalls can't converse with the customer when you do. A lot of the guitar demoing wasn't actually demoing, it was someone incessantly running over fingering patterns. How about constraining guitar and pedal demoing to headphones only, and putting the big amps in another room? 
    4. Early entry tickets is a good idea. Would making these advance purchase only bring any other benefits?
    5. Curry was excellent, and incredibly cheap. Don't change it.
    Thank you

I will speak to the venue about catering, its out of my hands, as it is with all venues, but I'll ask

Real coffee, breakfast offering, don't change the curry

Noise - yeah I know, I keep working on it and will continue to keep working on it, its finding that happy medium

i don't have another room, I wish I did

Only other benefit is I earn more money from the same sale - I like this :) but it may ease congestion

tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    It's a classic case of you can't please all of the people all of the time - overall it was a great show. 
    Thank you!
  • Jason said:
    I found the best time to try any guitars was through headphones during the quiet time. In fact I'd suggest for guitar demos, you make it mandatory to play through headphones (so you'd need an amp that has that feature but it's not difficult)? Then if acoustics are in a different section, the only noise you're battling is that from amplifiers. It's really the amps and how to tame them..
    but valve amps don't have headphone sockets, everyone (well, almost everyone) wants a valve amp....
    Oh. Damn. That's true! 
    Good job with the show - was great to meet you. 
    And you @guitars4you ! :)
  • This weekend was my fourth consecutive visit to the Guitar Show and I had a great time as always. It was definitely the busiest I've ever seen it (I always go on Saturday) and I didn't get in the car park this year despite arriving at 9.45am. Managed to park just up the road which wasn't a problem for me, although some of the passing locals seemed to be getting a bit pissed off. I did notice the large banner about the acoustic room and was pointed in that direction as I came in. I agree that a plan/guide would be a good idea, even if it was just printing off a few A3 size and sticking them on the walls near the entrance. I actually went looking for one when I couldn't find a stand I was after. I also agree that seats in the live marquee would've been a good idea. Got near the front for the meet your maker Q&A but barely caught a glimpse of the American Pro Fenders that were demoed later on. I too saw a number of stands ignoring the quiet time rules but I guess it must be hard if you think you have a punter on the hook for a sale! All in all a hugely enjoyable day out. Many thanks @Jason and long may it continue.

Link to my trading feedback
    tFB Trader
    This weekend was my fourth consecutive visit to the Guitar Show and I had a great time as always. It was definitely the busiest I've ever seen it (I always go on Saturday) and I didn't get in the car park this year despite arriving at 9.45am. Managed to park just up the road which wasn't a problem for me, although some of the passing locals seemed to be getting a bit pissed off. I did notice the large banner about the acoustic room and was pointed in that direction as I came in. I agree that a plan/guide would be a good idea, even if it was just printing off a few A3 size and sticking them on the walls near the entrance. I actually went looking for one when I couldn't find a stand I was after. I also agree that seats in the live marquee would've been a good idea. Got near the front for the meet your maker Q&A but barely caught a glimpse of the American Pro Fenders that were demoed later on. I too saw a number of stands ignoring the quiet time rules but I guess it must be hard if you think you have a punter on the hook for a sale! All in all a hugely enjoyable day out. Many thanks @Jason and long may it continue.

Thank you.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    axisus said:
    I'd love to have gone but it was a mad busy week at work and I jut couldn't face the 180 mile round trip in the car come the weekend. London shows are much better for me, although I can understand why it was half way up the country.
    I went this year for the first time, and it was good.

The reason I haven't been before is the distance.  It's a long way to go from London - especially as you seem to have to go to the North of Birmingham to get there from London by car.   I'm not sure that Jason would want to organise it, but a similar London show would be great.  As others have said, the big venues like Olympia seem too expensive.  I don't know if it would be possible to find a London venue for something like this - and someone who wants to organise it and stump up the up front costs.

It's nice to not get gouged on the food.  £3 for a curry compared with what I paid for food at the last Olympia show I went to was a refreshing change.  Would agree that proper coffee would be a good idea - even if it's from a van in the car park.

I'm not sure how much you can do about the noise.  Every guitar show I've ever been to has been noisy.  This one didn't seem too bad compared with some.  There were a lot of stands using headphones.  Fender had amps with headphone outs on their stand.  Thorpy had a Kemper on his stand.  I'm sure there were others.  With all the background noise you can actually hear better this way than through a real amp.  I'm sure that other exhibitors will eventually realise this over time.  Jason might have more success advising people of this rather than discouraging exhibitors with blanket bans.

I don't know if there was enough room upstairs, but some more small acoustic builders would have been nice.  If there has not been a dedicated acoustic area in the past, I can understand why there weren't many though.

Without moving to a bigger venue, I'm not sure that there are big changes that can be made.  If you extended opening hours until 6 (on Saturday at least) it might spread some of the footfall and make it seem a bit less crowded.  You could get an extra slot on the live stage that way as well.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    axisus said:

The reason I haven't been before is the distance.  It's a long way to go from London - especially as you seem to have to go to the North of Birmingham to get there from London by car.   I'm not sure that Jason would want to organise it, but a similar London show would be great.  As others have said, the big venues like Olympia seem too expensive.  I don't know if it would be possible to find a London venue for something like this - and someone who wants to organise it and stump up the up front costs.

It's nice to not get gouged on the food.  £3 for a curry compared with what I paid for food at the last Olympia show I went to was a refreshing change.  Would agree that proper coffee would be a good idea - even if it's from a van in the car park.

I'm not sure how much you can do about the noise.  Every guitar show I've ever been to has been noisy.  This one didn't seem too bad compared with some.  There were a lot of stands using headphones.  Fender had amps with headphone outs on their stand.  Thorpy had a Kemper on his stand.  I'm sure there were others.  With all the background noise you can actually hear better this way than through a real amp.  I'm sure that other exhibitors will eventually realise this over time.  Jason might have more success advising people of this rather than discouraging exhibitors with blanket bans.

I don't know if there was enough room upstairs, but some more small acoustic builders would have been nice.  If there has not been a dedicated acoustic area in the past, I can understand why there weren't many though.

Without moving to a bigger venue, I'm not sure that there are big changes that can be made.  If you extended opening hours until 6 (on Saturday at least) it might spread some of the footfall and make it seem a bit less crowded.  You could get an extra slot on the live stage that way as well.
    Oh My God - someone from London!!!!

I didn't think you traveled outside of the M25 ;)

thanks for making the journey

Unfortunately ALL the venues in London are too expensive, thats why the acoustic/bass shows were £25 to get in and then pay for clinics - its not a model I want to do, personally I think its too much and when you're in, you're in. The last show I went to at Olympia cost £36 to park the car, I wasn't happy.

You can go straight off the M6 in to the city centre then hang a right, you don't have to go north first - may be its because I'm a local, but it does seem an odd way to go.

It was the first go at acoustics, it may well have more next time, although there isn't a huge amount more space

• @Jason ;;

I couldn't make it this year, but has the International Centre in Telford been looked at? (I'm sure it has but I'll ask anyway)

I went to a model show there (plastic aircraft not dolly birds) and was very impressed with the venue.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Jason said:
    crunchman said:
    axisus said:

Oh My God - someone from London!!!!

I didn't think you traveled outside of the M25 ;)

thanks for making the journey

Unfortunately ALL the venues in London are too expensive, thats why the acoustic/bass shows were £25 to get in and then pay for clinics - its not a model I want to do, personally I think its too much and when you're in, you're in. The last show I went to at Olympia cost £36 to park the car, I wasn't happy.

You can go straight off the M6 in to the city centre then hang a right, you don't have to go north first - may be its because I'm a local, but it does seem an odd way to go.

It was the first go at acoustics, it may well have more next time, although there isn't a huge amount more space

I hated Olympia as an exhibitor - parking extra for us - one lift in/out - not so bad on set up days as we generally arrive at different times - but going home was a night mare - Load up you trolley - go to the lift and wait your turn - often 2/3 times up/down before you got in - then repeat this 2/3 times for a few runs of stock 

I back up what Jason has said about cost of venues - I know he and others have looked at 'sport stadium's with function rooms etc and even Northern venues, are crazy money

I'm sure there are always one or two ideas that can be adopted but overall a good show and glad I'm part of it
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Jason said:

Unfortunately ALL the venues in London are too expensive

I would have loved to have gone to the show but the venue wasn't easily reachable via train from London (3 changes to get to Jewellery Quarter as no direct trains at the weekend).

I wonder if it's feasible to have something out of central London but still within the M25. There may be venues in the London suburbs that still reachable by tube, e.g. Ally Pally, Lee Valley, or Picketts Lock, no idea of the costs of these though
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    @Jason, I actually in the South West of France. I was in the UK, actually in Southend in Essex, for another reason but thought it worth getting up at stupid o'clock to get on a train to come up to Brum.

It took around four hours each way, didn't cost much as I booked the tickets in advance, and I had a thoroughly good time. Also bought things I hadn't planned to. 

We used to travel up to the bike show and Crufts, this wasn't any different.

I echo most things said about the noise and crowds, but I wouldn't have missed it.

Thank you for organising it, I'll try to be at the next one too.