Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compassionate Britain

What's Hot

Perhaps there is more to this story than is being reported but based on the facts as described, this is awful...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/26/grandmother-deported-from-uk-despite-being-married-to-briton-for-27-years

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited February 2017
    Rules are rules. All countries have them, and if you make exceptions for someone because she is a woman, or a grandmother, or has kids, or is married, or has a job, or whatever, it becomes a slippery slope. 

Must be heart-breaking for her and her family though. I suspect as you said, there must be a bit more too it?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

The rule is absurd.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Which rule? The rule that says who can and can't legally stay in the country?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    Must be very hard for them. As said, we probably aren't hearing everything but reading between the lines, the wife must have spent an awful lot of time out of the UK to fall so foul of the immigration system. I'm no lawyer but it doesn't sound like she's made any attempt to become naturalised or taken up dual nationality either, maybe that would have resolved the issue? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    quarky said:

My brief reading of it was more that the rules were broken because she left the country for a period to care for ill relatives.  Seems like a harsh rule, given the life she'd established in the UK.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • So, once your residency is established, you are still treated differently to a native and are less free.

A second-class citizen.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And the person who took the decision to apply it is either a moron or a c*nt or both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It depends how long she spent out of the country. That appears to be missing funnily enough.
    quarky said:

Are you suggesting that because it is sensible to have a law governing immigration the detail of that law must therefore be sensible in whatever form it exists?
    jellyroll said:
    And the person who took the decision to apply it is either a moron or a c*nt or both.
    Or maybe neither, seeing as we don't know all the facts.  ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    This is the paper that told us that Trump was a loser - constantly, throughout the campaign. I'm still a subscriber but I'm disappointed in how partisan and selective its reporting has become. It's not alone in that though, the move on-line has seen a shocking decline in journalistic standards across the board. (God, I'm starting to sound like*rump!).
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Probably go straight to the US, it's completely ridiculous.  Same with that married couple where one was an aussie but they didn't have the necessary tens of thousands in funds, meanwhile four million unskilled cousins come over here for free, I really don't get it.  I voted out of the EU so the government could focus on this shit and would be acccountable to the public, seems like they still have no sense.

But then it is a headline....in the Guardian of all papers.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    soon be more absurdity as those ISIS start to return and claim their £millions for their Human Rights...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    jellyroll said:

True. I'm reacting to the facts as presented. But I agree, it could be fake news.
    jellyroll said:
    boogieman said:
    jellyroll said:

True. I'm reacting to the facts as presented. But I agree, it could be fake news.
    I'm not saying it's fake, just selective use of the facts by the Grauniad. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, as they say. People don't just get thrown out of the UK for no reason, the legal and appeal system here is too robust for that; there's obviously more to the story than has been reported. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    We haven't got room to spare for dangerous liberty takers like this woman who has established family here
    ............We urgently need the space for ISIS repatriates and dubious Syrian Man-boys who have been "orphaned "
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:

I'm not saying it's fake, just selective use of the facts by the Grauniad. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, as they say. People don't just get thrown out of the UK for no reason, the legal and appeal system here is too robust for that; there's obviously more to the story than has been reported. 
    Yes, and I alluded to that in my opening post. Or perhaps this is the real story and we just can't believe the truth so we assume that "there must be more to it."
  • Sambostar said:
    Probably go straight to the US, it's completely ridiculous.  Same with that married couple where one was an aussie but they didn't have the necessary tens of thousands in funds, meanwhile four million unskilled cousins come over here for free, I really don't get it.  I voted out of the EU so the government could focus on this shit and would be acccountable to the public, seems like they still have no sense.

But then it is a headline....in the Guardian of all papers.

Then read the Sun's version of events instead. Look at how they're on her side as much as the Graun is. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2782713/immigration-officials-prepare-to-throw-nan-out-of-the-country-after-27-years-despite-because-she-spent-too-long-with-dying-parents/

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited February 2017
    The BBC version (if you dig around a bit through past stories) gives a bit more background.  Just saying.
    jellyroll said:
    boogieman said:

Yes, and I alluded to that in my opening post. Or perhaps this is the real story and we just can't believe the truth so we assume that "there must be more to it."
    Yup, it'd be interesting to hear the whole story. I certainly don't think we are hearing everything here. 

I've had (admittedly very limited) experience of the immigration services via an acquaintance. It seems very hard to actually get deported without going through a whole raft of hearings, appeal processes and legal shenanigans, and I'm talking years here. I'd be surprised if this couple haven't already been through and exhausted that process, so they would have known it was coming eventually. The whole "I was chucked out on a Sunday so couldn't get in touch with legal representation " was either planned deliberately by the authorities or possibly sexed up by the paper. Both options are pretty obnoxious tbh.