Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compassionate Britain

What's Hot

Comments

• The issue is that she spent too long outside the UK without her partner. She had been married for 27 years and I'm not sure of her specific circumstances, but if she came here in 1990 she could have applied for nationality at least 25 years ago, yet she didn't. 

The rules state that if you are outside the UK for more than 2 years you need to apply for a returning resident visa. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds fair enough. She must have been aware of the laws concerning this, but chose to ignore it.
    Bye, Bye.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    Nice, or perhaps because she has been here so long she didn't think to ask a solicitor about the laws governing her? Don't get me started on news papers.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Well from what I read earlier she was in a detention for a month or so before she was deported. Makes me wonder what legal efforts were made to keep her here in that time.
  • Its still illegal wether she knew it or not, is irrelevant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • On the surface this looks harsh, but I've no idea how many appointments she may have missed or what steps she chose not to take along the way. Perhaps she brought it on herself by not doing something she should or could have done. It will all come out at some point. 

For those that were wondering about dual nationality, I heard on the radio that Singapore does not allow its citizens to hold dual nationality status.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    You guys keep spelling Guardian wrong. It's "Guardian".
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    To be fair a lot of older people face this problem when emigrating, they often choose not to because they wouldn't be allowed out of the country for two or five years, at least not for more than a few weeks.  So it sounds after all that this case is perfectly reasonable.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Its still illegal wether she knew it or not, is irrelevant. 

Its very relevant, obviously. Do you know immigration law inside out? I don't and I doubt she did either.
    If she had a chance to avoid this of course she is going to try, she would be an utter spoon not to.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    robgilmo said:

Its very relevant, obviously. Do you know immigration law inside out? I don't and I doubt she did either.
    No, but if I moved to a foreign country with the intention of staying there permanently, I'd damned well learn.

I'm not saying I don't have sympathy in this case, but ignorance is absolutely not a defence here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    LoFi said:
    robgilmo said:

No, but if I moved to a foreign country with the intention of staying there permanently, I'd damned well learn.

I'm not saying I don't have sympathy in this case, but ignorance is absolutely not a defence here.

But she lived here for how many years? Its easy to get complacent, I've lived in foreign countries for years at a time and it really is easy to just settle in and think you have nothing to worry about. Laws really shouldn't be rigid.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    Do you know immigration law inside out?
    No, but if i emigrated, i would make sure i knew the law inside out, and do everything i could to get citizenship, to avoid a sitiuation like this happening in the future.
    robgilmo said:
    Do you know immigration law inside out?
    No, but if i emigrated, i would make sure i knew the law inside out, and do everything i could to get citizenship, to avoid a sitiuation like this happening in the future.

Most times its not as easy as that.
  • Oh, well in that case, we should probably bend rules for the ignorant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    Or we should just make rules that can bend. Have you ever had to deal with any immigration issues before? It can be a mine field usually with little or no information available.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Apparently she has to go back to Singapore and reapply from there - she didn't want to give up her right to live in Singapore so never became a British national. She has to reapply and stands a good chance of being readmitted again.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    robgilmo said:
    Laws really shouldn't be rigid.
    Course they should! If they were not rigid, you are at the mercy of whether the judge woke up in a bad mood or not. If he decides to apply it or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe the judge could play rock, paper, scissors with her to decide the outcome.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    quarky said:
    robgilmo said:
    Laws really shouldn't be rigid.
    Course they should! If they were not rigid, you are at the mercy of whether the judge woke up in a bad mood or not. If he decides to apply it or not.

Precisely. Sloppy laws lead to tax "avoidance" and all sorts of lawyer crap.

Look I know this is a sad story, but don't get all hysterical. If the law is rubbish change it, but not for just one case.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited February 2017
    She probably has reapplied but if her husband is ill he probably will not be earning over the minimum £18,000 (thanks Tis-May) which means they're screwed.
    Having indefinite leave to remain that can be revoked just due to abscence is IMO inherently unfair outside of extreme criminal cases. 

Remember that laws are made by and interpreted by humans and if there if no flexibility not compassion for her position as a parent (or that of her children), that reflects on a sick society where laws are made to ultimately protect the wealthy from the poor. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom