Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Nokia 3310 is back

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
Hi all,

I remember when everyone used to have one of these. As seems to be the fashion with everything these days, Nokia have rebooted them!

Not sure what I'd use one for, but I'm sure tempted for nostalgia alone. 

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-3310

what do you all think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really don't get this. It isn't a 3310, it's just a phone with the same name with roughly the same shape.  You can't even change the covers on this version. Is this new one also super over-engineered to survive basically anything? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I like the idea of a phone that you can simply stick in your jeans pocket and go down the pub. Basic functions, robust and a good reason not to stare at the screen rather than engaging with people that you are with. If something is really urgent - you'll get the call / text. I miss my old Nokia 9500 classic - you can still get tem S/H on eBay. Like many phones of that era, very popular with drug dealers because of the lack of GPS / location logging etc.
  • My mum and in-laws would love a simple phone that's just a phone, and I'm sure they'll sell a few...but it's a great marketing story to get he Nokia name back out there whilst they launch the other "real" new products.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    I had the 3330. Same as the 3310 but it had internet or 'WAP'. Think I went on the internet once and it was all just plain text. You couldn't do a thing haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's my original Nokia. I can't bear to throw it away:

• For a festival, camping etc it's a great idea, now if they married it with a fabulous camera, it would be an essential buy for me. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    A little disappointed about this. All they had to do is release it with a modern micro usb port for charging and bluetooth for hands free use.

They missed the ball with this, however it's just a phone so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Here's my original Nokia. I can't bear to throw it away:

6210! a classic. The goto phone for the 90's business man/woman. 
  • I'm still using my original, 15 years after I bought it. I have an iPhone from work but the Nokia is 'my' number. I will probably buy one of these (if they really are cheap enough) as the battery life on my original has declined to a mere 1 day. I was looking at cheap Nokia's to replace it anyway. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I'm still using my original, 15 years after I bought it. I have an iPhone from work but the Nokia is 'my' number. I will probably buy one of these (if they really are cheap enough) as the battery life on my original has declined to a mere 1 day. I was looking at cheap Nokia's to replace it anyway. 
    prices seem to be £50
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Meh.

I'll stick with my £7.50 a month smart phone thanks.
  • My first mobile was the 5110 with changeable covers. Also remember having to manually type in the codes to customise ringtones.Happy Days!
  • @bobblehat  I believe you mean one of these (below). Also taken from my stash of phones that I can't throw away.

• @bobblehat  I believe you mean one of these (below). Also taken from my stash of phones that I can't throw away.

yes thats the one, great phone.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    if the 3310 reboot is going to be only £50 that's really good value. Especially considering it was probably twice that to purchase 15 years ago.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22821

My 3310 died about 18 months ago.  I bought a smartphone but felt a bit overwhelmed by it and never used it.... now I have a Nokia 105 which cost the grand sum of £14.65.

I'll be quite tempted to get the new 3310 although, like remakes of horror films, it's more of a "reimagining" than a reissue.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    My 91 year old mum still uses a 3310, they both seem indestructible. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    If it weren't for the fact that I've committed myself to a 2 year contract with O2 and have become more and more entrenched in the smart phone lifestyle, and also hadn't learn new things my iPhone can do alongside my Mac, I'd be more than happy to go backwards and have one of these. The updated simplicity appeals to my communicative needs.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Iphone contract runs out in October and am seriously considering getting one of these and ditching smartphones!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's as tough as the original, it's not a terrible price. Does what you need etc...