Brands that succeed despite being shite...

What's Hot

Comments

• richh said:
    Ernie Ball... noticed Mr Homer slagging these off a couple of days ago on another thread.  I thought these were roughly on a par with D'addario and the like, unless they've gone downhill.  @richardhomer I think you may have come off your medication, as you seem to have developed a vendetta against them - along with Lazy J who I also am a user of...
    I've never owned - or indeed played though -  a Lazy J. I have no view on the product whatsoever - all I've ever said is I'm amazed (given their 'holy grail' status) how many get sold on. 

If EBs work for you - then please don't let my experience put you off - it's a free country (currently).

Equally, allow me the freedom to state my experience which is EBs sound dead pretty much straight away to me - without suggesting I must be mad....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    No problem, and I was only kidding, except for the Ernie Ball thing, I honestly thought they were right up there with other brands.  I'll have to do some comparisons.  In fact I've been using D'addarios for a while, but for no particular reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    crunchman said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Microsoft's Office brand. Truly awful software that is complicated to use.
    Agreed ... how the hell did they persuade millions of people they couldn't write a letter without spending £60 a year on office 

They didn't.

In the early days products like Lotus were copy protected when Office wasn't.  They got the whole world hooked on it and then started copy protecting it and making people pay through the nose.
    Yeah but even the basic Microsoft Write included in Windows 1.0 has more features than people used to write real letters ... then Wordpad included from Windows 95 onward's expanded on that and was included completely free. 
    I spose I see the average guy claiming he needs MS Office to write the monthly Bowling club news letter a bit like someone claiming they need Protools HDX to do their podcast audio :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Reverend said:
    Ernie Ball....
    Does anyone else do a set of 11-54 though? I can't seem to find any alternative.
    Curt Mangan? The story goes that he used to work for Ernie Ball......I tried a set once, they were very much like Ernie Balls to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Fender strings
    Electro harmonix - innovation and gimmickry over quality and usability
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Gassage said:
    Hellemans Mayo is the worst one for me. Every time I go to France I go and get a supply of Delouis Fils.

Hellemans is like dog smegma.
    Just think. Somewhere in Hoxton an exec from a social media monitoring agency is trying to figure out how to communicate this back to their client at Unilever......

I'll add Karrimor to the list.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Coldplay
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

• Hotpoint.  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I would differentiate between things with a name on them and "brands", the marketing push of something which is generally overpriced and underperforming in terms of what you get for the amount paid.

Anything that has "brand ambassadors" is shite by simple dint of having a "brand ambassador". The more you have to spend to tell people how good your product is, the more shite it is.

Oh, and aftershaves. Not that long ago they cost lest than an average weekly wage.
  • Gassage said:
    Audi.

Why any sane person would buy a £40k exec car with front wheel drive beggars belief.
    Having watched a few other branded cars with rear wheel drives several times in the snow and laughed, I'd suggest that might count in their favour?

My suggestions would be:

Apple - for all reasons stated above
    Topman - for being an overpriced primark, but more full of themselves
    TM Lewin - for not being as nice as Charles Tyrwhitt, with their baggy arms, snobby staff, and horribly symbolic shelf-upon-shelf layout that represents the identikit nature of the kind of walking stereotypes that wear their shirt
    John Lewis - bit controversial because I've heard a lot of people cooing over their customer services. But the two I've been in (Solihull and Birmingham New Street) are two of the most grotesquely twee shop fit-outs I've ever seen in my life, full of smarmy staff and even more smug shoppers, selling that god awful middle-class style consumerist tosh that so many places seem to be insisting on these days. Urgh
    London Midland trains - just get the Cross City line or the Stourbidge line in Birmingham for a week and you'll know what I mean. Small niggling annoyances that are the equivalent of being repeatedly prodded in the arm by a 6 year old.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    edited February 2017
    Gibson

Harley Davidson

Apple

Budweiser

Fosters

Carling

Carlsberg
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Dyson? Lost touch with theme recently but certainly in the 1st 10 years of producing the bagless cleaner, the local tip was overflowing with broken ones. Likewise, when I first saw their hand dryer, I thought "where does the water go - that's not going to work". Sure enough, 12 months later plenty of rusting examples. Shame really, innovative company but lacks a certain something. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    ITT: Snobbery, both traditional and inverted
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited February 2017
    crunchman said:
    Brand Beckham
    MacDonalds
    Nescafe
    Jamie Oliver
    Various London restaurant chains.  Bill's is probably the worst.

You're possibly spoilt living in Surrey, Bill's is great. And I've been to the Guildford and Reigate branches. 

Some of these have been mentioned.
    Bose - designed by car enthusiasts
    Beats
    Just about all fast food
    Nero/Starbucks
    M&S clothes - baggy and ugly
    Nestle - evil fucks with shit chocolate
    Cadburys - comes in all flavours of cheap and sugary
    Gourmet Burger Kitchen, went downhill 6 years ago almost, still surviving.
    HP computers, something always conks out with these.
    Chimi Changas 
    French cars - everyone I've heard of has hated theirs.
    Behringer
    Nike
    Wilkinson razors

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794

Gourmet Burger Kitchen, went downhill 6 years ago almost, still surviving.

I like GBK, although I haven't forgiven them for taking Captain Cod off the menu.  And god knows what's in their satay sauce, it sure as hell doesn't taste anything like peanuts.
  • B&O
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• MickMick Frets: 98
    Stevepage said:
    Hayter. Their lawnmowers are terrible for reliability.

Seen the new ones yet.?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794

Not so much a brand as a product:

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pies.  The ones in tins.

I was always fascinated by them but never actually tried one until a few years ago.  What the fuck?  A shallow metal dish of soggy offally mush.  They are vile.  I can't imagine how anyone could actually like them.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocet said:
    Dyson? Lost touch with theme recently but certainly in the 1st 10 years of producing the bagless cleaner, the local tip was overflowing with broken ones. Likewise, when I first saw their hand dryer, I thought "where does the water go - that's not going to work". Sure enough, 12 months later plenty of rusting examples. Shame really, innovative company but lacks a certain something. 
    Ohhhhhhh it's a HAND dryer......

that explains the odd looks. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom