Bass Noob advice

What's Hot
After falling under the influence of Mr @Bridgehouse, please will some of you good people out there give some pointers on how to be a bass player?

I've got a bass amp, a metronome and 5 strings of fury.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PS - A Thank you to Mrs @Strat_a_tat_tat for the picking advice.
  • @Handsome_Chris... Mrs Strat_a_tat_tat says thank you for the hug. She feels she got the better end of the deal... and can't remember what she said about picking!
  • Start with music you like. Use the metronome alot and get to grips with left and right hand damping and ghost notes. 

I started with Bob Marley (Babylon by Bus is The bass album) and easier Jamiroquai. Find music you can jam parts over, I used to spend ages making up lines over acid jazz & electro pop where there was space to play. 

Later on find a drummer to jam with, this is the most fun you will have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I practice with a lot of 'play along' using helix (you could do the same with AxeFX?) 

I use the USB interface and stream from iTunes with the bass cut out using EQ and play along. Try to do as many styles as I can get away with. 

Really helps with timing, feel and dynamics... and helps to see what amps/settings work with what type of song too.

Don't be scared by that big fat B string either ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Strat_a_tat_tat , Mrs S devised me to use my index and middle fingers to pick with. Those finger tips are aching already.  I've been using a pick as well.  

@Winny_Pooh , I'll try and get my Stewart Zender on.

@bridgehouse, does switching between pick and fingers make me less manly?
    edited February 2017
    @Strat_a_tat_tat , Mrs S devised me to use my index and middle fingers to pick with. Those finger tips are aching already.  I've been using a pick as well.  

@Winny_Pooh , I'll try and get my Stewart Zender on.

@bridgehouse, does switching between pick and fingers make me less manly?
    Nope not at all mate - fingers and a B string is basically plucking an overhead power cable so that's pretty manly.

Just make sure it's slung down at your knees and have a 'sucking in' face on when you play bangin' funk and you'll retain your man card.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    On a serious note, when using fingers, don't pluck - let the fleshy tip roll over the string - use the amp for volume not your fingers.
    Your finger should come to rest on the string below (or above?!) after you've plucked. 

Rest your thumb on the pickup/finger rest if you're lazy, or on the string below and move it up and down with your index and middle finger if you're posh. Alternate picking between index and middle for speed and articulation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • After falling under the influence of Mr @Bridgehouse, please will some of you good people out there give some pointers on how to be a bass player?

I've got a bass amp, a metronome and 5 strings of fury.
    ditch the 5th string and then listen to the wonderful James Jamerson.

this guy's videos can be quite informative

• Thanks @BigLicks67 for the steer. I've seen the glove chappie before but I may invest some time , if not money, in to his work.

I currently have Ball Of Confusion and Hysteria plaguing me. 
  • @Bridgehouse , I'll ease off on the heavy handed finger tip action 
    @Bridgehouse , I'll ease off on the heavy handed finger tip action 
    Try doing the same on bass as well :)

Lighter finger action = better speed, timing and control, as well as a better tone I think. You then have room to dig in more when the song needs it..
  • Slap every note if you want to be cool on YouTube.
  • This is a good video introduction to finger style, especially useful as it introduces an exercises for raking when descending.

Slap every note if you want to be cool on YouTube.
    And try hard to make every slap tonally dull and sound exactly the same as all the others - preferably dynamically dead as well.

Bonus marks if you can slap in a totally inappropriate song.

Or, just ignore slap like I do.
    On that theme - my opinion:

Finger style = great
    Pick Style = great

Slap n pop = musically anachronistic and overdone. No thanks. Plus the fact I play flatwounds, so...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited February 2017
    Good slap is great but yeah it can be a bit overused, especially on some bass gear demos.  It's the bass equivalent of a guitar demo being entirely single notes on the plain strings in either blues or shred style.

I'd definitely learn slap if you're interested, but don't skip over fundamentals of finger style (which some people do as they're excited about playing funky bass lines).  
    Good slap is great but yeah it can be a bit overused, especially on some bass gear demos.  It's the bass equivalent of a guitar demo being entirely single notes on the plain strings in either blues or shred style.

I'd definitely learn slap if you're interested, but don't skip over fundamentals of finger style (which some people do as they're excited about playing funky bass lines).  
    The fundamentals of finger style is where bass is at for me. So much articulation and dynamics.. 
    edited February 2017
    Does it slap = does it djent 

as far as I'm concerned. 

By which point in a gear demo I'm normally thinking Does it blend?
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited March 2017
    Well I've had three days and this is as far as I've got.  

• @Bridgehouse , is this where it's at?