Strap or chair, playing positions?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3534
When at home, chair or strap? I don't have a strap but was wondering if using one is a better thing than a kitchen chair?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited February 2017
    Chair, but with a strap, most of the time because I'm operating the computer at the same time.

I have my strap length set so it would be in the same position if I stood up, but rather than hang the guitar purely around my shoulders (which I found in long sessions over long periods started to cause discomfort) I rest the guitar on my fretting hand leg, and my foot goes on a wooden footstool, like classical guitar position.

If I'm not using the computer I prefer to stand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    80% of the time its standing. Only really sit when I am learning parts or recording (even then I tend to naturally stand up).

Although a four hour practice with a 9lb LP slung off your shoulder doesn't half make it ache!
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Always sit down but after standing up and trying some of the fender guitars at the guitar show I've realised that I'm pretty awful at playing guitar while standing up! For some reason it just feels totally different to me and I find it a lot harder to play with any fluidity, dead notes everywhere! 
  • I start learning something just sat on the sofa, as I usually have notes/scribbles/phone around me to look at. I gig so I then have to make sure I can play it standing up as that can put me in a very different position.

As for chair design, whatever's comfy and without arm rests.
  • jakzek said:
    Always sit down but after standing up and trying some of the fender guitars at the guitar show I've realised that I'm pretty awful at playing guitar while standing up! For some reason it just feels totally different to me and I find it a lot harder to play with any fluidity, dead notes everywhere! 

It'd be worth looking at the difference in playing position between sitting down and standing.  If you sit with it on your picking hand leg but then stand with it centred the practising isn't going to translate as well, because you're playing in a different position.  Look at your fretting arm and wrist too.

To an extent it is also about inertia too, a guitar supported on your leg is going to solidly stay in place but a guitar supported only by a strap when stood up can move more.  But I've found sitting with the guitar hanging from your shoulders (unsupported by a leg) isn't great for your back over long periods.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Always standing. That's the way play so that's the way I practice. If you practice sitting down then your body positioning is slightly different. It's even worse if you play acoustic. I learned this the hard way.

The only time I play sitting is when I'm transcribing I front of a computer screen.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • My right shoulder aches like a bugger if I play anything sitting down for too long, I like it extended, so always standing.
    (Or lying if I have fallen over - Tufnell style)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Even though I agree wholeheartedly with Roland, I tend to do the opposite.
  • You should have your guitar positioned and supported such that it doesn't move between sitting and standing. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Jeff Lynne said he almost had to relearn how to play the guitar for his most recent tour having spent many years prior to this in the recording studio and playing sitting down.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I generally tend to play standing up, mostly because the chair in my music room is an office chair with arms on it!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Electric: standing, or sometimes cross-legged on the floor when I'm feeling lazy.

Acoustic has to be standing as per @Roland comment. Dreadnoughts makes no sense to me sitting down, and I play acoustic live so I need to practise my cool stances.

I would never have a guitar strap short enough that it mimics the sitting position. The very idea!!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3534
    I'm finding it difficult sitting down, my guitar keeps sliding on my leg and ends up slightly facing upwards which messes around with my fretting hand, perhaps I need a taller chair.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    When playing/practising seated have the guitar on a strap. Have the strap set so when seated the guitar is supported by the strap. Also have the guitar on (just) your left (right if you're left handed) leg. Then when you stand keep the strap the same length (this is important) so when you stand the guitar will be in the same position as when you're seated.

When practising I start of learning seated, then get the playing right (to a backing track) while seated, then make sure it's right when standing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Always standing. A guy in my last band wrote a song and practiced it sat down and the riff was a stretch from the 4th to 9th fret. When it can to rehearsal he couldn't play it stood up and at gigs had to put his leg on something to raise his guitar so he could make the stretch.

Having said that, when I'm learning something I do sit down, I find I concentrate better, but as soon as it goes from learning to just practicing it to get it to muscle memory I stand up

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    robgilmo said:
    I'm finding it difficult sitting down, my guitar keeps sliding on my leg and ends up slightly facing upwards which messes around with my fretting hand, perhaps I need a taller chair.
    No, you need a strap.

I find Strats especially tend to slide down your leg and you spend more of your time holding on to the thing.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2252
    My strap are set at the same height as sitting. I'll play standing,sitting or sitting with a strap on. It makes no difference. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I used to prefer playing standing up, but I'm a lazy git in my old age so I sit on my cab now. Sometimes stand. I can't get the guitar low enough sitting down for my 'standing' height, so I play at two different guitar heights - so what?

The main difference that I notice is that my lazy sitting playing gives me a bit more view of the front of the fretboard compared to standing.
  • BigKevBigKev Frets: 10
    thebreeze said:
    Jeff Lynne said he almost had to relearn how to play the guitar for his most recent tour having spent many years prior to this in the recording studio and playing sitting down.

Agree with Mr Lynne.

If all you intend to do is be a bedroom player them play seated.

If you intend to gig then you really need to play as much as possible standing, totally different thing !!!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    BigKev said:

If you intend to gig then you really need to play as much as possible standing, totally different thing !!!
    Robert Fripp? Early Steve Hackett?