Fuzz Pedals and Buffer Issues (and also wireless issues)

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited March 2017 in FX
So what's the deal with some fuzz pedals having issues when there's a buffer in the chain?

I'm looking for a new fuzz, but my current signal chain is:

CAE Wah (set to true bypass)
Boss TU-3 (Buffered)
Orange Box Phaser
Various drive pedals
MXR Chorus
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
TC Hof Mini
Boss GE7

Can anyone predict if I'll have issues?
Would it be solved if the fuzz went before the first buffered pedal? (I assume a buffer after the fuzz won't affect it?)

Not sure what Fuzz it'll be yet of course which no doubt clouds the issue, but some like the Suhr Rufus and White Atom are marketed as being buffer friendly.

Thanks all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    So what's the deal with some fuzz pedals having issues when there's a buffer in the chain?

I'm looking for a new fuzz, but my current signal chain is:

CAE Wah (set to true bypass)
    Boss TU-3 (Buffered)
    Orange Box Phaser
    Various drive pedals
    MXR Chorus
    MXR Carbon Copy Delay
    TC Hof Mini
    Boss GE7

Can anyone predict if I'll have issues?
    Would it be solved if the fuzz went before the first buffered pedal? (I assume a buffer after the fuzz won't affect it?)

Not sure what Fuzz it'll be yet of course which no doubt clouds the issue, but some like the Suhr Rufus and White Atom are marketed as being buffer friendly.

Thanks all.

Its vintage germanium fuzzes that are particularly vulnerable in this regard, they like to be able to "see" the pickups so placing them first in chain solves this problem. Muff style fuzzes like the fallout cloud have no such issues, the buffer just adds a touch of high end.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Some vintage Fuzz circuits have a really low input impedance which means they don't really play nicely with buffers in front of them. 

It's not really a massive problem - only occurs with a subset of pedals. Best thing to do is to decide what kind of Fuzz you want and then research if it's an issue. Plus, you can always put the fuzz up front anyway. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    White Atom and various Skreddy's are examples of non muff, buffer indifferent fuzz pedals I've used.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Also I see that you use a wah - sometimes people have problems using wah pedals with fuzzes. Lots of people don't like the sound of Fuzz into wah and some Fuzz circuits don't want to follow other pedals (as above). 

Honestly though I wouldn't worry about it too much until you know what kind of pedal you want. People overstate the issue in my opinion. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Using an old fuzz and wah can sometimes also cause some bizarre side effects with the wah... Old fuzzes come with a lot of compromises if you want to use them. Sticking with silicon doesn't guarantee it'll all be tickety boo also if they're built old stylie.

What amp/guitar are you running and what sort of sound are you after? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    juansolo said:

SSS Strat into either a Fender HRD running clean, or a Jet City JCA 20HV head running with a bit of break-up.

I do also gig with a Les Paul or a PRS Cu22, but the fuzz is mainly for the Hendrix thing with the Strat.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    What about issues with wireless systems if some fuzz pedals like to "see" the pickups?

I'm using one from @SmoothHoundUK ;
  • Zvex Mastotron has variable input impedence knob.  

I really like mine, but it might be an acquired taste.  It's good if you want either wall of nasty fuzz, or velcro strip on/off gated fuzz, less good if you want a big muff type sound.

http://www.zvex.com/products/mastotron

• I've just been struggling with the same problem... I love my SM Fuzz but it hates wireless systems or anything buffered ahead, gets very brittle. I tried a few other buffer friendly options to see if I could live without, but have ended up having a cable input to the SM fuzz, that meets the wireless signal and then goes to the rest of the board, so Fuzz only with a cable sadly! 
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Impedance mistmatch is a common problem with fuzz pedals. 

You can either use a fuzz pedal in front of a buffer, although some don't like being after a buffer either, or use a buffer friendly fuzz. 

My fuzz pedals are buffer friendly and wireless friendly. Designed that way. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited March 2017
    Yep, my White Atom works well with an input straight off a Line6 wireless. Thanks for a great pedal @Magnetic_Effects! ;;
    The MXR Classic 108 has a buffer switch which is useful too when dealing with buffer issues. I have one I may be persuaded to let go....PM if interested. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    juansolo said:

SSS Strat into either a Fender HRD running clean, or a Jet City JCA 20HV head running with a bit of break-up.

I do also gig with a Les Paul or a PRS Cu22, but the fuzz is mainly for the Hendrix thing with the Strat.
    Which is a FuzzFace, which certainly can have issues annoyingly.